Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • darkside – QR slipping out of drop out when climbing
  • slimjim78
    Free Member

Im running KCNC steel skewers on Hope Pro2 hubs with my Ti road frame, and im having trouble with the skewers slipping.
    I’ve put the rear under as much tension as I can manage, but when stomping up a steep climb today the hub popped out of the left side drop out.
    I had the same thing happen several times and had to resort to stopping standing when climbing.

Im guessing that im experiencing a bit of flex to the rear of the frame, being Ti, but should it be enough to jump right out of the drop out under tension?

Or, are the KCNC skewers rubbish?
    I’ve just fitted a boggo standard QR in the hope the mechanism will be tighter, but havent time to test it.
    Anyone else experienced similar?

Ive found my KCNC seat clamp to be pants too, along with a Hope clamp on my MTB, so im hoping Salsa skewers may be up to the clamping forces required..

donsimon
    Free Member

but when stomping up a steep climb today the hub popped out of the left side drop out.

Less stomping?

aP
    Free Member

The skewers are probably rubbish. No problems with Campag skewers on mine.

slimjim78
    Free Member

i’ve never had issues before with any other skewers, its just got me worried being my first Ti road frame

fasthaggis

I was going to give you a quick fix(even with dodgy skewers),but as you used the term darkside,you have just lost that option 😉 🙂

slimjim78
    Free Member

sorry, i thought it was mandatory

BeveledEdge
    Free Member

Shimano skewers, end of.

mrmo
    Free Member

horizontal or vertical dropouts?

Decent steel, shimano/campag make a lot more sense for the rear skewer than anything lightweight.

druidh
    Free Member

I’ve been riding a Ti road frame for a couple of years and had no such problems. But then I use Shimano skewers.

And the moral of this story is. . . . ?

donsimon
    Free Member

And the moral of this story is. . . . ?

Less stomping?

AlasdairMc

What Ti frame is it? I can’t be of any assistance whatsoever but I’m just interested.

However, Shimano skewers have never given me any problems on any bike. Any skewers with a plastic bit at the cam have all loosened over time.

plop_pants
    Free Member

I use KCNC steel qrs on my road bikes, they do have an odd cam. As you push the lever over to tighten them up they loosen up when fully closed.
    So I start with them tighter than other qrs before closing the lever. Not had any probs with them so far but I do wonder how long they will last.

Northwind

I used to have Salsa QRs, not very impressive. Shimano obviously, or I like the Halo hex ones, they weigh nowt and they seem just as secure.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Frame material in itself is not causing the problem.

The skewers are most likely IMO.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Odd that the left side poped out, when a rear wheel slips due to insecure rear wheel its usually the right side will be pulled forward by the chain.

cynic-al
    Free Member

might be a shit dropout design

stevious

My old ProLite lucianos did this with my bike (alu/carbon stays) and I always put it down to the drop out design. Got Fulcrum (campag?) skewers now and have had no such occurence,

jonba
    Free Member

While you are waiting for new skewers have a look to make sure the drop out isn’t bent. Does seem weird.

slimjim78
    Free Member

here’s the drop out – Planet X Ti Pro frame.

Have also had trouble with getting a King headset to sit perfectly flush, which PX promised was ‘checked & quality controlled’. TBH i’m getting a sinking feeling over this and other issues i’ve had with said brand

Just to add, all components are brand new.

I use KCNC steel qrs on my road bikes, they do have an odd cam. As you push the lever over to tighten them up they loosen up when fully closed.

/\ this. its like the last 2mm of lever movement begins to release tension?..

trailmoggy
    Free Member

My mate had this problem with his van nic titanium frame, he had to us the Allen bolt type

It solved his and could be your better option

slimjim78
    Free Member

typical, mines the Van Nic made PX frame..

druidh
    Free Member

My road frame is a Van Nic made Van Nic frame.

slimjim78
    Free Member

ok..

Northwind

Doh, I typed Salsa up the page instead of KCNC, I’m a dope.

Just to add to that though- I’m still using the QR on one bike, and it’s crap. Looks nice, weighs nowt, but crap.

Tinbred
    Free Member

Similar issue with X-lite camlock skewers on a Tinbred. The little serrations on the skewers that are supposed to grip the dropout had been flattened/worn down. I didn’t have the heart to take an angel grinder to a new frame to roughen the dropouts so bunged a SHiamno skewer in with steel ends and presto, problem solved. I also contemplated using star washers to provide some extra grip between frame and skewer. Maybe Planet X could start putting some engraving on the drop outs to grip the skewers?

bristolbiker
    Free Member

….take an angel grinder to a new frame…

I gotta me one of those…..GRRRRRR!!!

slimjim78
    Free Member

thanks guys – fingers crossed a nice Salsa or Shimano QR will do the job

tonyg2003

Change the skewers. Boring as it is a Shimano or Campag QR will probably solve your issue.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘darkside – QR slipping out of drop out when climbing’ is closed to new replies.