Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Darkside of Darkside. roadie discs…
  • Premier Icon M1llh0use
    Free Member

I’ve ordered roadie disc bike to replace my old klunker (which is taking it’s merry time to get here so boredom is ruling so WebWindowShopping has taken hold!! The wheels that come on it are (looking at the specs) a bit poo (heavy) so STW tell me what I need to buy to replace them!

I mainly ride in the south, so no huge hills, requirements are:

centrelock disc hubs (so i can use the shimano Freeza discs)
    >15mm width rims (to accomdate the 28c tyres)
    <1600g for the wheelset (thus dropping 350g from the spinning gumph)

lastly Tubeless friendly, but not a dealbreaker.

what do you lot think?

Premier Icon njee20

Price?

Ultegra Centerlock hubs on LB carbon rims in your choice of depth? Or Open Pros. Or H Plus Archetypes. Or Pacentis etc.

Premier Icon M1llh0use
    Free Member

price?

over £500 and under £1500

i’ve been looking for months and have now gotten in to a state of confusion! i need someone to tell me what to spend money on!

looked at DT swiss splines – 15mm rims (so 28c tyres will, allegedly, wallow about on them)
    shimano CX/28h Aileron combo – comes out about 1800g, so not that light

i guess i’d like some 40mm(ish) section carbon rims but they seem to be all quite heavy (and i’m not buying Zipps)

Premier Icon njee20

400g, weirdly LB seem to have dropped most of their road carbon rims.

Build onto DT240 Centerlock hubs for a nice wheelset for £700 or so.

Premier Icon M1llh0use
    Free Member

hmmmm

LB rims – how long have they been taking to get delivered over here? and do you get clobbered for import duty?

the hunt wheels – no delivery until mid June and I’m not *that* patient!!

Premier Icon houndlegs
    Free Member

Serious question. Will dropping 350g make a difference that you can notice/feel?

Premier Icon njee20

It’ll make the bike feel different, whether that translates to a real world performance advantage is something else altogether.

LB rims are usually 4-6 weeks until delivery, and yes, you usually have to pay the due taxes.

Premier Icon nemesis

I mainly ride in the south, so no huge hills

centrelock disc hubs (so i can use the shimano Freeza discs)

Have you already got the freeza discs?

Premier Icon M1llh0use
    Free Member

njee – that’s a long wait. not sure i’m patient enough!!

nemesis – yeah, freeza discs come fitted.

Premier Icon RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Surely you can use the wheels that come with the bike until something better becomes available. Those hunt wheels look good and good value too. Some of the bontrager road wheels should fit the bill also .

Premier Icon kilo

Can’t realy help but i love my shimano / aileron wheels

Premier Icon bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Another vote for LB but would go with something like these if going alloy.

http://www.justridingalong.com/wheels/semi-custom-builders/240-centre-lock-hubs-laced-to-pacenti-sl25-rims-semi-custom-builder.html

Premier Icon vincienup

SLX RT66 160’s both ends on my cx works for me. 105 levers and shimano 516 calipers with Conti GP 28’s on 29er rims and mtb hubs. Sets up nicely once you get your head round gapping the pads. Stops well and doesn’t need frequent adjusting. I don’t have inline adjusters and don’t feel the need.

I’m looking forward to the roadie take up of disc braking opening up options, although with a 135 back end 29er kit may always be my best option

Premier Icon vincienup

My ‘offroad’ wheelset is one of the £90 set of 29er Flows on Shimano 525’s Merlin had. 35’s at on the Flows nicely.

Premier Icon reggiegasket
    Free Member

+1 for alloy I’d go Pacenti SL25 but my next set of road disc wheels will be LB carbons (on Tune hubs, but I run 6-bolt not centrelock)

Premier Icon TiRed

Has to be carbon rims. The lighter the better. That is the only reason for road disks. Ultegra hubs, Sapim CX-ray spokes and 35mm all round rims. Nick is right on the money with his suggestion.

Forget alloy those are for caliper brakes.

Premier Icon RAGGATIP
    Free Member

Buy these please..

http://www.bdopcycling.com/DTO-40%20DISC-SPECIFIC%20CARBON%20RIMS.asp

..and report back when you’re done

Premier Icon M1llh0use
    Free Member

As much as I like the idea of LB or BDOP RIMS I’ve gotta say I’m nervous of buying parts from abroad knowing nothing about wheel building or any local wheel builders!

Maybe I need to get up on wheel building…

Premier Icon mboy
    Free Member

Towards the top end of your budget (but fitting all your criteria nicely) are the Reynolds Attack Disc and Reynolds Assault Disc wheelsets.

Attacks are sub 1400g for the pair, Assaults a smidge over 1500g, both are bang on trend width wise, tubeless ready, Centrelock or 6 bolt versions, can be converted to bolt through or QR front and rear. The only thing not to like about them is the price, but then compared to Zipp’s, they could be seen as good value!

Currently lusting hard over a pair of Assaults for my road bike myself!

Premier Icon antigee

have you looked at http://www.justridingalong.com/wheels/custom-builds.html

would have though experts on tubeless

– not sure if calculates weights though that data can be picked up from the individual supplier websites

(no relation)

Premier Icon M1llh0use
    Free Member

Ok then, looking at the JRA site there’s the option for 2x or 3x build. what’s the benefit?

I gather that 3x will require slightly longer spokes, so marginally heavier, but will they be X% stronger?

Premier Icon blahblahblah
    Free Member

The choice between 2x and 3x is really down to the number of spokes in the wheel. You need the spokes not to run at too much of an angle over the hub flange.

My rule of thumb is >28 hole 3-cross. 28 or less 2-cross.

I’m sure there is a bit of an increase in lateral wheel stiffness with 3-cross as well but you wouldn’t want 3-cross pattern on a 24 spoke wheel, for instance.

Premier Icon bluebird
    Free Member

Has to be carbon rims. The lighter the better. That is the only reason for road disks.

Out of interested, why’s that?

Premier Icon M1llh0use
    Free Member

Anyone used industry nine wheelsets?

Specifically, the torch ALU disc wheelset?

Premier Icon M1llh0use
    Free Member

oh-er.

just looked at the specs of the assault.

think i may be sold…

Premier Icon mboy
    Free Member

oh-er.

just looked at the specs of the assault.

think i may be sold…

Nice aren’t they

I caved in last night, and ordered a set of Assault’s for my road bike (but then it helps being in the trade and having a Reynolds dealership!)

Got about a 4 week wait apparently for the new 2015 Assault Disc’s to come into stock (the 2014 model are 6 bolt and not tubeless ready), so probably worth getting a set put on back order.

You going to be running tubeless too? If so which tyres?

Premier Icon M1llh0use
    Free Member

tubeless, yes but not sure on tyres. next thing to investigate.

looking at the reynolds dealer map the shops that sell em have pretty crap websites, so may be a bit of trauma getting some ordered.

who is it you work for?

Premier Icon mboy
    Free Member

Crap website too I’m afraid (being sorted as we speak)…

http://www.missinglinkbikes.co.uk

email is info AT missinglinkbikes DOT co DOT uk if I can help at all.

Tyre wise, can’t recommend Schwalbe One’s highly enough. Done about 1500 miles on a set last summer, minimal signs of wear, so much grip and so quick. That was the 25c version, they also do 23’s and 28’s.

Premier Icon M1llh0use
    Free Member

tremendous,cheers mboy!

Premier Icon mboy
    Free Member

No worries

My Assaults arrived today… 😛

Can’t wait to try them out!

Premier Icon M1llh0use
    Free Member

Pics, man, pics!!!

Premier Icon mboy
    Free Member

Sorry, been so busy, only just fitted them and set them up!

Obviously these are the rim brake version, the disc version is 24 spoke F/R with a disc specific rim.

Premier Icon M1llh0use
    Free Member

Just a note to add…

Bike has arrived, wheels have arrived. Both are EPIC!!!

Mandatory picture of bike in rural setting…

Premier Icon scaredypants

blimey, that looks fast – especially with those 100mm rotors 😯 (I assume/hope that’s an optical illusion)

Premier Icon M1llh0use
    Free Member

140mm front and rear and they’re scary good.

and 40mm section wheels are weird. Above 25 mph they seem to gain speed of their own accord!!

Premier Icon scaredypants

Hang on a minute – isn’t that pic at the Mockbeggar ford ?

Gerrooofff moi loop !

Premier Icon M1llh0use
    Free Member

By moyles court school? Yeah.

INVASION!!

😆

Premier Icon dbukdbuk
    Free Member

Nice bike Scaredy. I have a non disc 2014 Synapse hi mod that I really like.

You know you’re not supposed to put spacers above the stem if you’re using the ‘Dale steerer bung thing though? The bung is supposed to be under the stem clamps to give the steerer more internal support.

Premier Icon mrchrispy

Cranks are not level, to to the back of the class!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Darkside of Darkside. roadie discs…’ is closed to new replies.