Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Dark Side attire
  • toxicsoks
    Free Member

OK, I’ve got myself a nice road bike (CAAD10) but have a wardrobe full of MTB gear. I’ve read “the rules” but still baulk at going full retard, er, sorry, lycra. Is there a halfway house or am I just going to have to feel self conscious for a bit?

smell_it
    Free Member

I think I would feel more of a douche on a road bike with loads of baggy mtb clothing flapping around and a massive back pack full of needless kit, straining out to see from under my helmet peak. Just pull on some lycra and have at it; 99.9% of people really won’t be looking or give a toss. Rapha do a touring short thing, which is a half way house if you are desperate to spend money.

Haze

Go for lycra, you’ll soon get over any insecurities you may have. No-one else will really care, you’ll look like just another cyclist.

Don’t waste money on halfway solutions, they don’t exist and you’re only putting off the inevitable 🙂

RealMan
    Free Member

Really it’s just a matter of deciding if you should shave your feet as well or not.

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Reasonable kit, then? In both “look” and price – I don’t want to be poncing about in team kit as that would, to me, anyway, imply that I was either a bit handy or a poser – I’m not. On both counts.
    * Blimey, talk about feeling insecure…*

_tom_
    Free Member

At the end of a day it’s just a bike, wear what you would for riding any other bike. Roadies seem to get very worked up about people who don’t wear the “proper” uniform.

2hottie
    Free Member

Here in Oz it appears mandatory that you wear the “right kit” for riding. There is an advert on during the TDF for a special edition bike and if you buy it you get the matching riding kit to go with it!

No ta.

Ride how you want to ride, I certainly won’t be changing my attire to suit those around me. I’d even use flats on a road bike if I had one.

jota180
    Free Member

What kit?

I always thought Wiggle’s own brand DHB made pretty good bib shorts – then just any jersey that’s on offer and isn’t a billboard
    That’s what I do anyway

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Think I’ll get the bibshort version of my usual padded shorts (Lusso Pro Gels) to team up with my extensive collection of Aldi/Lidl jersey’s – that should impress folk……as should the MTB SPD’s/shoes and lid with the peak removed.I’ll have to give Mrs Soks time to get over the new bike purchase before lashing out on owt else.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I go for some longer lycra shorts on the road bike and somethimes the bibs if I feel cold.

Got a raodie top for free at a race and another when I moved out here.

Most importantly get something visible and avoid white shorts.

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Or red, apparently…

bol

Specialized’s stuff is pretty in offensive and not as expensive as most, but yes, Aldi is a good place to start. It gets you in the end.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

nice

paired with a simple black short

clubber
    Free Member

there’s nothing wrong with wearing team kit but it will mark you out as a noob in many roadies’ eyes. whether that matters is really up to you.

otherwise, club kit is always acceptable or any of the non-pro replica kit. or you can go rapha, retro, etc if you want to mark yourself as a Mamil 😉

donsimon
    Free Member

OK, I’ve got myself a nice road bike (CAAD10) but have a wardrobe full of MTB gear. I’ve read “the rules” but still baulk at going full retard, er, sorry, lycra. Is there a halfway house or am I just going to have to feel self conscious for a bit?

Are you sure road riding is for you? I’d hate to think that you’re spend so much time worrying about what people are going to think about you instead of enjoying the ride. 😐

oldgit
    Free Member

Black shorts, a top and some socks and shoes. And a Mae West if it’s nippy.

Strangley I feel odd in MTB kit, like a nine year old off to football practice

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Are you sure road riding is for you? I’d hate to think that you’re spend so much time worrying about what people are going to think about you instead of enjoying the ride.

I’m as happy as Larry, with the riding, it’s other folk going on about “what one should wear and how one should look etc” that’s starting to rattle my cage a bit.

DT78
    Free Member

It took one ride for me to get over the whole lycra thing. Its much more comfortable, and like everyone says no body cares.

Unless you are a massive fat biffer, in which case people may laugh and point, and small children cry. The key to avoid this is ride your road bike more so you are no longer a biffer.

Within a month of owning a road bike I bought a team jersey (it was cheap) and really like it. Only a matter of time till I graduate from black bibs to team ones with matching socks and gloves….

oldgit
    Free Member

I’m as happy as Larry, with the riding, it’s other folk going on about “what one should wear and how one should look etc” that’s starting to rattle my cage a bit.

Seriously don’t worry. As my clubs chairman I ride with our weekly newcomers group and I see all sorts. As a long time roadman I’m only concerned that they are safe and enjoying the ride.
    I do have to chuckle at the look of contempt on the faces of some riders who’s paths we cross. Then again after all these years I can spot a weekend warrior at a hundred paces with there well practiced hardman stare 8)

carbon337
    Free Member

Rapha or torm with splashes of exteondo and castelli.

Maybe some assos if you can get it to fit correctly.

Kryton57

Castelli for comfort. Plus you must have something Italian about you otherwise your only on the fringe of the rules.

I can see “what stuff in pockets” being your next topic….

oldgit
    Free Member

Or just some stuff from the shops.

Off to google exteondo.

carbon337
    Free Member

etxeondo will give you better results

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Roadies seem to get very worked up about people who don’t wear the “proper” uniform.

Do they? Too me it seems that it’s the cyclist that only ride mountain bikes that think this. All the roadies, myself included that I ride with just like to see cyclists out and having a go at all types of riding.

OP, wear what you want, but once you try lyrca you will find it a lot more comfortable than flappy baggie shorts and tops.

chakaping
    Free Member

Altura Pro Gel shorts are very comfy and reasonably priced.

Bibs will probably be too hot for this time of year.

clubber
    Free Member

I don’t like bibs myself but what do you think the whole tdf Peloton ate wearing? 😉

crazy-legs

Endura do a good range of plain-ish roadie clothing at decent prices. As everyone else has said, lycra is much more comfortable and far more suited to road riding than baggies or loose flappy tops.

donsimon
    Free Member

As others have said wear what you want, but cycling gear has been designed for a specific task after a few years of R&D.
    My comment was directed more at the langauge used as much as the question of clothing.
    😉

oldgit
    Free Member

Most bibs vest bit are mesh, as are the back of the shorts. I suffer with the heat but always wear a thermal vest under my jersey to keep cool.

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Kryton57 – Member
    Castelli for comfort. Plus you must have something Italian about you otherwise your only on the fringe of the rules.

I can see “what stuff in pockets” being your next topic….
    Nah, sod pockets, I’ll be using a Camelbak HAWG and I ain’t wearing no Castelli, fool! 😉

oldgit
    Free Member

Nah, sod pockets, I’ll be using a Camelbak HAWG and I ain’t wearing no Castelli, fool!

You’re going to get your bum smacked if you go on like that.

Nobby

Bib shorts I find comfy & not too hot so would recommend those plus any jersey – the longer the zip, the better for temperature control.

On the shorts, I find some brands fit me better than others so if You have a fave for MTBing then theirs would be a decent start point.

Try a few rides without the camelbak, you’ll be amazed at how much more comfy you’ll be. Only problem I find is the discomfort of using one again when I go out on t’MTB.

winterfold
    Free Member

You do see some drivel in these threads but whoever wrote ”bibs probably too hot” needs to be introduced to their arse and elbow.

OP you are clearly a bit of a self conscious girly so just go with something straightforward and decent value.

Dhb is good kit and when you do hanker after something with a bit more style it mix and matches well with more £££ italian stuff as the colours and branding are discrete.

But at the end of the day no one really gives a **** amaxingly normal people get the idea that people on bike wear Lycra like rugby players wear rugby shirts and you put trunks on to go swimming.

aracer
    Free Member

I’d even use flats on a road bike if I had one.

They even sell bikes off the shelf which would be suitable for you
    http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/categorydisplay_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_categoryId_165534_langId_-1

Edric64
    Free Member

Worried about wearing lycra? Ther were about 300 MAMIL on the ferry back from Calais after Tuesdays tour stage ,I wouldnt worry about it but then I wear lycra to mountain bike as well as I cant stand baggy flappy shorts

Haze

I’d love to see what bibs people are wearing that are too hot?

cynic-al
    Free Member

perv

Haze

Busted 😉

Kuco

I wore baggy shorts to start with then just switched to lycra as it made more sense by being 100% more comfortable if you’re sitting in the saddle for hours.

As said above 99.9% of people don’t give a toss.

turboferret

I wore my tri-suit for a swim for the first time this morning and to save taking anything else with me wore it straight after for a ride on the tri bike.

I wouldn’t necessarily advise this though, as I was molested by a policeman at a set of traffic lights 😯

However, I’m in India, and the general consensus of what is acceptable and what not seems to be a little different from the UK 😆

Cheers, Rich

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Dark Side attire’ is closed to new replies.