Dark side – are power meters finally 'affordable' ?

Home Forum Bike Forum Dark side – are power meters finally 'affordable' ?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Dark side – are power meters finally 'affordable' ?
  • Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

seriously

Really? “Dark side”? 🙄

Premier Icon jonnyboi
    Subscriber

What? That seems to be the usual term on here for prefacing road cycling conversations?

Premier Icon Russell96
    Subscriber

Got my Powertap pedals on the Cycle2Work scheme, classed as accessories by the company doing our scheme, so affordable also 🙂

TiRed

Faved Asdipma single sided still cheaper than Garmin and none of the installation sues of the 2S.

Powercal on 10sec average is the cheapest entry into power. I have Stages, Powerpod and Powercal. Powercal is by far the most reliable!

Will buy Assioma next as Be Pro were universally well-regarded.

4iii is ~£380 in a 105 arm and, unlike Stages, won’t spend half it’s life in the post between you and their warranty dept.

Is the price point too high, I’d ask compared to what? A set of half decent alloy wheels (Shimano/fulcrum/JRA/Hunt/insert local wheel builder) will run £400, even cheap carbon deep sections (Zuus, Prime) £500+ so in terms of road bike performance upgrades they are objectively cheap, as well as better value (bigger impact on your performance).

Beyond training I’ve found them useful for pacing, especially riding with t’other half, compared to trying to subjectively measure effort. Just spent 3 weeks riding in the Alps, and early in the holiday we rode Lautaret into the Galibier into a stinking headwind. I sat on the front, found an output that she could effectively match (the effect of headwind and drafting meant we were actually both riding at very similar Intensity Factors) and just held it to the top. It’s the first time we ever summited a Col together.

we did the reverse a few days later when I bonked and she had to tow me home 🙄 😀 She’ll use hers in a similar manner to pace Ironman bike legs.

Premier Icon jonnyboi
    Subscriber

Is the price point too high, I’d ask compared to what? A set of half decent alloy wheels (Shimano/fulcrum/JRA/Hunt/insert local wheel builder) will run £400, even cheap carbon deep sections (Zuus, Prime) £500+ so in terms of road bike performance upgrades they are objectively cheap, as well as better value (bigger impact on your performance).

I’d agree with this, effectively my road bike is a training tool rather than an object of affection like my other bikes so I have no problem spending cash on a pm rather than making it lighter/better/blinger.

do your mtb and road bikes have the same crankset/BB standard? If so you could buy a single-sided arm and swap it between bikes (rather than a pedal system which you probably wouldn’t want to ride MTB with road shoes…)

Premier Icon sweaman2
    Subscriber

Everyone has a different idea of affordable. Living in Canada means trainer for 6 months of the year. So power makes trainer road and zwift much more enjoyable.

Premier Icon jonnyboi
    Subscriber

Stages crank meters can be had discounted below £400, Especially if you use a crank such as the fsa gossamer.

The new garmin vetor 3S pedal meter will have a RRP of £499, meaning that stocks of the older 2S may well see significant discounts. Whilst the New Assioma UNO seems to have an RRP of £429.

At these prices I’m seriously thinking of taking the plunge, after all if it doesn’t work out I should be able to sell it second hand without losing much.

If you are training at all seriously, then the benefits of using a power meter are well documented, but is the price point still too high? If so how cheap would they have to be to tempt you into splashing out?

Premier Icon Haze
    Subscriber

…unlike Stages, won’t spend half it’s life in the post between you and their warranty dept.

🙂

I’m on my third, my Stages lives on the winter bike but I’m scared to use it this year…

uponthedowns

Really? “Dark side”?

Exactly. Power meters fit on mountain bikes as well.

Premier Icon jonnyboi
    Subscriber

do your mtb and road bikes have the same crankset/BB standard? If so you could buy a single-sided arm and swap it between bikes (rather than a pedal system which you probably wouldn’t want to ride MTB with road shoes…)

Cannondale hollowgram x 2
    FSA gossamer
    And XT!

Mostly use the FSA for training but it’s the older style crank that doesn’t fit a stages, plus I don’t trust stages.

TBH I’d be happy enough with a road pedal based meter.

I think the Cannondale cranks are the only ones that would work? Most other brands use different arms to get the different Q factors (road cranks are ~30mm narrower) whereas Cannondale changes the spindle but use the same arms.

I had a think about it whilst trying to justify one, most MTBers with one seem to just use it for data gathering rather than training. So it’s a catch 22, do enough MTB to justify a PM and you’re not doing enough road to get the advantage, and vice versa.

Premier Icon mrblobby
    Subscriber

I guess everyone has their own idea of affordable based on the value they get from a PM. I’ve got 5 of the things and think they are well worth it as a training tool. If you don’t use it for training then it’s not worth the money.

downhillfast

Almost, I’ve thought about getting one but give it another year or two and the price should come down a but further.
    Excellent training tool, but I only seem to “train” over the winter. Summer is spent “riding” and tbh I couldn’t give a toss about power figures then, results speak for themselves.

fifeandy

Certainly getting close to affordable, although still not catering well for lots of bikes, and perhaps dubious weatherproofing for the bike that takes wet/muddy/gritty roads day after day through winter.

Still, may treat myself to some Vector3’s for the nice bike. (And maybe a new nice bike to hang them off 😉 )

and perhaps dubious weatherproofing for the bike that takes wet/muddy/gritty roads day after day through winter.

https://www.cyclocrossrider.com/the-kit/review-4iiii-precision-power-meter

TL;DR – uses demo unit through CX season (weekly mud and jet washes), goes out and buys one when he has to return it.

brakes

I’ve been waiting from them to go under £300 for a couple of years now. I thought 4iii was going to be the one but unfortunately it wasn’t.
    I know I’ve spent twice that on wheels but I need wheels for a functioning bike…

maybe next year.

Premier Icon schmiken
    Subscriber

I certainly am enjoying the decrease in prices and increase in choice. I have a PowerTap and Rotor on the road bikes and Stages on the MTB. The XT Stages PM is the work of 3 minutes to switch from bike to bike and I will agree that the power data from the MTB is mostly collection rather than training.

Having said that, the data collected informs the training I do on the other bikes.

crosshair

MrBlobby kindly PSA’d some 105 Stages for £280 in Sigma’s Black Friday sales last year. I missed them sadly but got a silver Ultegra for £320 instead.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.