Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Dark Peak riders thread – Kit and tyres
  • rob-jackson
    Free Member

As we always see people refer to “dark peak grinding paste” etc, as a Dark Peak rider predominantly i am keen to see what others use, what works well and lasts well. This is inspired by a Czech lad we rode with yesterday commenting that all the bikes were the same 🙂

Main things i am interested in are:
    Transmission
    Brakes and pads
    Tyres

To kick off:
    Transmission – 10 speed XT shifters, mechs, cassette, SLX chain
    Brakes and pads – XT (2011 new style) and Superstar Sintered pads
    Tyres – ST High roller front/60a High roller rear (not impressed with the rear)

footflaps

Last time I was up there (last WE) everyone else seemed to be on 456s! Must have passed about 20 of them around Ladybower….

rob-jackson
    Free Member

saw a pink one – just shouts “look at me on my cheap steel frame but hey its pink and i am daring!!”

colournoise

cruzheckler – Member
    saw a pink one – just shouts “look at me on my cheap steel frame but hey its pink and i am daring!!”

Wasn’t this one was it?

Not mine BTW.

slainte 😀 rob

proutster
    Free Member

Transmission – 9 speed SLX throughout, double and bash.
    Brakes and Pads – Deore + Superstar Sintered Pads
    Tyres – Front – Kenda Nevegal 2.35″ Stick E
    – Rear – Kenda Slant Six 2.35″ Stick E

Only fitted the Kendas on Friday (had been on the winter tyres of Swampthing front + Mud X back until then ) ready for yesterday’s ride around Hayfield, fast running, dry trails – very impressed with the Slant Six on the back. Fast but enough grip for the dry. Really good across the moors (Middle Moor?) from The Shooting Cabin to the A624.

Shorty121
    Free Member

Transmission – 3*10 SLX
    Brakes – XT with kevlar pads
    Tyres – Larsen TT’s

Garry_Lager

Whippet with x9 2 x 10 transmission and avid elixir brakes.
    Brakes are good, but I paid £36 for 2 sets of pads in a bike shop last weekend. Hope you can get them cheaper OEM as that is an unsustainable price for me. Drivetrain is also fine apart from the sram thumbshifters which I don’t like.
    Currently trying an ignitor on the rear and a medusa 1.9 on the front. Ignitor is fine but not sure on the medusa (maybe just down to its size).

The BFe has a set of old shimano dual control gears / brakes – love these tbh. On the superstar pads and nae problems. 3×9 drivetrain is unremarkable.
    Running RQs 2.2 and 2.4 upfront. Superb tyre for the dark peak from what I’ve seen (only been riding here 6 months or so). Only drawback is price, black chilli ust RQ must be the most expensive tyre out there for general trail use.

thepodge
    Free Member

That pink one is something to do with Simon.

Transmission: alfine 8
    Brakes: ones that came with the bike
    Tyres: ones that came with the bike

I don’t really know or care what most of my stuff is and have happily been riding round on forks that should be 5″ but seem to be 4″.

People need to faff / worry / care less

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Dark Peak riders thread – Kit and tyres’ is closed to new replies.