Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • Dark evenings are here, time for winter hobbies! (model making content)
  • cheez0
    Free Member

So, its cold and dark out there and it’s time to roll out those winter hobbies..

Here’s what i’ve made in the past week or two..

Dragon 1:35 Sherman – with Photoetch shenanigans

matt_outandabout

8)
    I wish I could do such things….hamfisted_outandabout

Gweilo
    Free Member

No model making for me, i indulge in Astronomy. Just getting into astrophotography as well.

Though I do like night riding as well, good excuse to go to the pub on the way home.

Zed
    Free Member

Why does the tank have Barford St. Martin on it ?
    I ride through Barford a lot, and used to drink in the pub there a lot too 🙂

Pigface
    Free Member

Airbrush? If so what one and how easy to use are they. Great work congrats.

Mikkel
    Free Member

nice work on that Sherman.
    I have got one of these to build

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v487/theplasticsurgeon/ModelPlanes/F8F_Bearcat/Revell_F8F_Bearcat002.jpg

Used to build loads of them as a kid, and after Duxfords Flying Legends airshow this Summer i bought a few kits to build 🙂

cheez0
    Free Member

Apparently its called Barford St Martin because..

the name “Barford St. Martin”, this nickname stemming from the regiment’s practice of christening tanks with the names of public estates in their home county of Wiltshire

I assume other regiments named their tanks for different reasons.

I have airbrushed it, with a cheepee kit, but a reasonable compressor, from ebay.
    I’m a bit of a noob still with the airbrush, but practice is making me better.

This is my 4 or 5th attempt at a model since last year, of various types, each one finishing up a little bit better than the last.
    All i would say Matt, is ‘have a go!’ Try something cheap but not too small to start with, build up your paint stocks/tools etc slowly. research youtube for tips on weathering etc.
    i also like the tanks and bots from games workshop, plus the paints.. you can really experiment with colour schemes, effects etc.

Make sure you show us your plane mikkel, i’ve already started my next one, a BF109 emil, in 1:32 scale.
    I like bigger scale planes, less fiddly tiny bits for my fat fingers!

cheez0
    Free Member

IanMunro
    Free Member

Good timing for this thread!

Jan 2009

Feb 2009

Aug 2009

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcs6qXnCCk4[/video]
    Sept 2009

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgnYSqS6B8c[/video]
    July 2011

Just finished painting about an hour ago. 😀

Next one’s going to be a bit bigger so the parts aren’t so fiddly.

cheez0
    Free Member

Nice train!

[poutyface]*wants a workshop upgrade, from a man room, with milling machines an’shit*[/poutyface]

IanMunro
    Free Member

Yup I’m very lucky in that respect. It does mean that you end up choosing to do things that take far longer than you expect though.
    Nice airbrushing you’ve done though. I haven’t got one, so it’s on the list of things I need to try 🙂

beaker

Like the Sherman. Good work on the weathering. I have a load of kits insulating the loft currently. I’ll get around to building them one day.

@ Zed, I’m not too far from Barford either. Is there anything worth riding around there? I tend to give the road bikes a bit more attention as I’ve not seen anything worth a look.

sam69
    Free Member

that tank is the dogs

garage-dweller

Very nice on both. Currently popping a 1:72 Spitfire together for my 3 year old to hang from his ceiling. He saw one in flight at a vintage show and loved the noise and shape of the “air spitter” as he calls it. I haven’t made a model for years. If anyone is thinking of trying 1:72 with grown up hands I’d say buy a bigger scale one though.

vegasdave
    Free Member

I ride my bikes all year,but the Sherman and the Steam Engine are superb…My efforts in the past were never up to that standard.I built a few Tanks,Kenny Roberts’ Yamaha 500 and a Mike Hailwood Replica….There’s a Nissan Skyline waiting to be built somewhere…

mogrim

I’ve been fingering the models (fnarr fnarr) in the local toy shop, might have to actually get one 🙂

Although what I really want is one of these, in kit form of course:

juan
    Free Member

What is this thing “winter” you people are talking about 😉

garage-dweller

Winter is the season in Britain where it is dark early, all other factors remain the same wet, cold and horribly slimy mud all over the show.

beamers

I see your Frog and raise you a Rough Rider:

I had one of these way back in the day. What a great toy.

hertz32
    Free Member

I have a 1:72 Bae Nimrod to see me through the winter months…

mogrim

What is this thing “winter” you people are talking about

It’s when it’s bloody cold but dry, instead of bloody hot and dry.

I used to have a Rough Rider, great car. Tamiya haven’t re-released it, though, and I always wanted a Frog. Just have to get the purchase order signed off by the authorities 🙄

aracer
    Free Member

Winter is the season in Britain where it is dark early, all other factors remain the same wet, cold and horribly slimy mud all over the show.

I was kind of hoping it might be a bit drier and less muddy than summer.

Am pondering one of these for winter:

http://www.horizonhobby.co.uk/aeroonline/e13_blade/e13-blh3300/e13-nano-cpx.html

pudd
    Free Member

Your little tank is the SHIZZLE!!

Tamiya stuff is ace. I still want the same wild Willy i craved when i was 10!!

Wasn’t there a super champ that was mega bucks in its day?!

john_drummer
    Free Member

1:48 for me in planes up to twin engine size.
    Tanks have to be 1:35. Bikes 1:12, cars 1:24

Lovely Sherman BTW. Has to be airbrushed

CountZero

Not model making, but I have a rather lovely hand-forged bushcraft knife blade that needs a handle made. Got a nice little block of Yew that’s just the ticket, but I haven’t really got the facilities to get the wood cut nice and square. I’ll just have to be very careful and hope for the best; final shaping with a dremmel isn’t so much of a problem.
    Then there’s the sheath…

mogrim
    atlaz
    Free Member

Haven’t made a model in years, quite fancy a go at one of these two:

m1kea
    Free Member

About 10 years ago I brought a load of 1/35th kits, p/e accessories etc to resurrect an old hobby. To this day they’re still not finished.

IIRC

Tiger 1 with interior
    Leopard 2A5
    Panther V G
    Pvkfw IV

Sense a theme there? 😉

wwaswas

Building an R/C model of one of these;

will look like this once my rather sporadic attempts at assembly are completed;

(about 80cmx20cm)

[edit] it appears that picture is of a full size one that’s currently for sale;

http://www.theyachtmarket.com/boats_for_sale/146547/

that would be a winters evening challenge.

Northwind

That train is incredibly awesome. Make a full size one next!

vinnyeh

Indeed, the train is fantastic.

Built a couple of Dragon tanks up last year, 1:76, first ones I’d built since my Airfix days about 35 years ago.
    Got a 1:35 sdkfz251 and a Wingnut Wing 1:32 Junkers J1 for this winter.

Kits have changed a lot since I was a kid- all this photetch stuff now does my head, eyes and hands in. Threw a bit of it in the bin last year. Hope to do better this time.

peterfile
    Free Member

ian, that is absolutely amazing!

A great skill to be able to put together something like that.

cheez0
    Free Member

Thanks for the kind comments guys, i’m quite pleased how the sherman has turned out, especially with my sausage fingers!

Seems like some of you guys better dust off the boxes, get the gloo fumes rising and crack on with those half-finished German tanks and planes!

..and let see some more pictures!! 🙂

compositepro
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6Br-uLCqzA[/video]

these folks arent messing about though

Zed
    Free Member

@Beaker – there’s not much around Barford really, I just pass through there going between Shaftesbury drove and Grovely woods

redthunder
    Free Member
    redthunder
    Free Member

Must complete the army 😉

The Master Plan is Complete :: Severn Beach by SGMTB, on Flickr

njee20
    Free Member

Building a model railway here, nowhere near as impressive as Cheez/Ian’s efforts!

brakes
    Free Member

I’ve got a load of these that need repairing – will get round to it at some point.

beamers

How about this:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=bIiieWvcRK0[/video]

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘Dark evenings are here, time for winter hobbies! (model making content)’ is closed to new replies.