Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Dare I risk it or is this false hope…..*what dry lube content*
  • rockhopper70

Degreased the chain tonight and the finish line wet lube did an ace job of making up a chainset grinding paste last time out.
    So, with the blistering dry weather with us I am thinking a specific dry lube.
    Amy recommendations?

Northwind

Squirt is really good… I’ve found it just can’t cope at all with my local mud but in the proper dry and in different flavours of mud it’s been ace.

carlphillips
    Free Member

somone will be along soon to recommend putoline

rockhopper70

putoline…
    I’m sure I used to clean the moto-x bike air filters in their stuff!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Oh great. Thanks. No, really, thanks.

It’s going to rain for days now! 😉

This is my pick du jour for summer trails;

sam2391
    Free Member

Finish line is rubbish IMO, the Muc-Off wet lube is much less sticky and I have been using it with little build up (even on recent dusty trails) and it keeps everything smooth and quite which some dry lubes never seem to.

cp

Purple extreme is great.

nuke

Squirt is still my lube of choice for the dryer months. RnR Extreme for the wet months

jambalaya
    Free Member

I’ve been using the Juice Lubes products and am a big fan

mjsmke

I use Muc Off dry lube and it works well. smooth and quiet.

andy7t2
    Free Member

putoline

mmel
    Free Member

Ok, so shoot me but I am the biggest fan of Bike Hut dry lube from (shhhh) Halfords. It keeps things smooth and quiet for ages and even copes well in the wet. Just wish I had some for my ride over the peaks today, instead of the terrible muck-off crap. May as well of used lard for all the good it did!

chakaping
    Free Member

Much off dry is ace.

Their wet one is worse than finish line wet though ime

mmel
    Free Member

You can have my half used bottle then, I only got it as it was the only stuff available at a time of need. I’m sick of reapplying it for it to only last 10 miles. I’m guessing it lasts longer for you?

bellys
    Free Member

Muc off dry…

Northwind

Oh- got a tin of the putoline wax a while back, my review so far- haven’t opened it, because it’d take me longer to light the stove than it does to just use a simple lube.

Still, I’ll fire it on the road bike’s new chain and see what happens.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I used squirt last summer and it did a great job. I used putoline through the winter. Still been using the putoline in this dry weather and It’s been great. The trick it to get a baby wipe and clean all the excess off the surface after the first ride.

I now have a chip pan for melting the wax, the basket makes life a little easier.

andyl
    Free Member

The Halfords stuff might be rebottled weldtite dry lube.

Wondering what to try next. Have tried the Weldtite wax lube (green stuff) which was no good in any rain but no surprise there.

Have tried Finishline dry but not overly impressed.

Now I am running 2 chains (swapping out) on my hard tail and a rigid 29er I might get a tub of plutoline and do them all in one go.

cheers_drive

Rock n Roll Extreme or Purple Extreme. Both appear to be expensive but last for ages in both wet or dry conditions.

muddyground
    Free Member

OP you’re not going to get an answer that keeps you happy; one man’s ultimate dry lube is another’s snake oil. Seems a lot depends on the application; I.e. how much latent OCD you have. I love Squirt, but it can be way out there in needy land when applying. Bit trial and error to be honest, and is very user dependant. My ate, for instance, just uses any old light oil he has lying around, never cleans the chain, doesn’t worry about the graunching noises, yet his chain has lasted two happy years now.

Good luck with finding one.

cannondaleking
    Free Member

rock and roll for me too tried it on a whim never looked back

gsp1984
    Free Member

I would NOT recommend muc off dry (yellow one)…

I don’t know how long it’s supposed to last, I put plenty on…. 10miles later and the chain dry as a bone and everything sounds like a bag of spanners again.

It just doesn’t seem to last a ride… so watching the thread with interest.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I know nothing (obviously) but used bike shop lube and chain became all gunky. Used WD40 and it was great. Must be doing something wrong!!

neninja
    Free Member

Progold Prolink has been the best I’ve tried. Goes on very thin and gets into all the links then run the chain through a rag to remove the excess and voila – one clean quiet running chain.

DezB
    Free Member

Park Synthetic is similar to Progold. Thin and keeps the chain clean. (Not a wax.)
    I think Park know what they are doing.

Speeder

Don’t use ProGold if you’ve got an E13 chain device of any type – it degrades the plastic and makes it brittle enough to crack easily.

Speeder

Oh and a 3rd/4th/5th for Squirt – I like it a lot and use it all year round though I don’t ride much in winter.

messiah
    Free Member

I’m a Squirt fan. Make sure you put it on days/hours before the ride though… sticking some on right before the ride gives poor results.

For big days in the hills I sometimes carry a little bottle for after the big river crossings, but I’ve always had to do that anyway (except when I ran a Scottoiler… don’t go there).

Tracey

We use White Lightning Clean Ride

cheburashka
    Free Member

+1 for White Lightning – I’ve used White Lightning (Clean Ride IIRC) in the dry for years, tried Squirt recently and wasn’t that impressed – too sticky (and it had three weeks to dry!), that and it’s only lasted 15k each time before sounding nasty. Going back to WL unless anyone can recommend anything else that will last 50-60k+ and be dry enough not to make a mess everywhere?

hs125
    Free Member

I used White Litghening Clean Ride for a long time, but now prefer Muc Off Dry. I tried saving some money with Bikehut Drywax but found it to be a false economy, it needs reapplying too often.

Scapegoat

Finish Line dry ceramic wax

pedlad

With the better weather I’ve been using finish line dry, but between the road bike and MTB seem to have got through a bottle very quickly. Now I know this is going to seem tight but paying between £5-£8 for 60ml of the latest unicorn’s perspiration for my chain really winds me up, but I do like the way dry lubes keep it all cleaner.

So been having a look and I think this looks better value and may be worth a go – 400ml aerosol for £6.99

3in1 ptfe

Any reason why not to?

steve_b77
    Free Member

Just gone over to Muc off dry as I rather like their wet stuff.

Lasted fine at Lee Quarry on Sunday and it was very dry & dusty. Gears still smooth & as quiet as they were at the start at the end if the ride

rockhopper70

so, just to apply something tonight I called at halfords on the way home (before reading the surprsingly lengthy number of posts—thanks all) and picked up a bottle of some “natural” branded dry lube that said on the small print that it was made by weldtite.
    A bit pants really. Checked the cassette and its black n gungy and grindy and ruff. Darn it….still mullin but it looks like there ain’t gonna be a definative view.

IanW
    Free Member

Been testing chain lube for 30+ years, this is the best I’ve found , apply whilst holding a cloth behind the chain and rub off excess. Clean periodically with wd40 then reapply. Works for MTB and Road,
    Winter or Summer. Spend more if it makes you happy. 🙂

rockhopper70

It’s sunny again. Get the dry lube back out!

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Dare I risk it or is this false hope…..*what dry lube content*’ is closed to new replies.