Viewing 27 posts - 841 through 867 (of 867 total)
  • Danny Boyle risking embarrassing the nation… the opening ceremony thread
  • fervouredimage
    Free Member

Who was the girl who lost her phone in the music bit? Be still my fluttering heart chuffing gorgeous.

Just turned 14 I believe.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

And I also caught a German doing a rather suspicious wave that looked a bit like a certain salute….

This one 😆

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIyCoBB5Aas&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

Bregante

We loved it. We let the 8 yr old stay up and watch it, she was so excited – she’s still asleep now – a record!

Highlights for me were definitely the opening sequence with the change from rural countryside to the industrial revolution. Also seeing Ali brought a lump to my throat as did the GB team walking in to Heroes. The mr Bean bit at the start of Chariots of Fire was funny for the the first 30 secs but dragged on for far too long.

The music was superb (especially the Arctic Monkeys) right up until Macca who I honestly think is only wheeled out for these events because everybody in the world can join in the chorus of Hey Jude. Top night all round though.

Right Im settling down for the Road Race now.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

There will always finally be Paul McCartney. When the world ends, he will be there, fit as ever, for a last 50 choruses of Hey Jude. “OK now,” “just the men, just the fellas.…………………………………. OK now, just the women, just the girls.”

Pigface
    Free Member

Well she should not of been up so late cavorting around, I blame the parents.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

I have no idea how old she is to be honest, but I agree she was very pretty.

thats_not_my_name
    Free Member

fervouredimage – Member
    I have no idea how old she is to be honest, but I agree she was very pretty.

According to the Telegraph, her name is jasmine breinburg and she is 18 years old.

tree-magnet
    Free Member

phew

rickmeister

Thanks for all of this, I have read all 25 pages and feel like i havnt missed a thing… good job to as we both overachieved on the schnaps and passed out when the athletes started to arrive….

No mention of spazzed out exploding sheep after page 1. Were they made into kebabs or something… ?

unklehomered
    Free Member

Not sure where they went, probably got bundled into the furnaces…

juan
    Free Member

I watched it and the most irritating was french tv comments. To be honest I loved it 😀

elzorillo
    Free Member

That Olympic cauldron sequence was probably the most spellbindingly beautiful piece of moving art I’ve ever seen.

_tom_
    Free Member

The forging of the rings bit was pretty good but I thought the rest was cheesy as **** and pretty cringeworthy. Apart from the Daniel Craig and Queen bit which was awesome 😀

TheFopster
    Free Member

Day after thoughts. Patchy. Brilliant in parts. Occasionally strangely moving. And funny. I think he pulled it off. Only really wrong step for me was Macca but see why he did it.

Can’t imagine what non Brits will have made of it, though. That was weapons grade weirdness at times and references will be way off piste. Good luck to the rest of the world getting their heads around it!

Well done Sir Danny. A shoe in, surely?

fatboyslo
    Free Member

In a strange sort of way Macca was a master stroke of genius .. At least for those of us there and who have seen him close shows before…
    The Hey Jude sing a long is a clear signal that the show is over …..
    Some folks realise this and head off out of the stadium, others hang on to watch him

Either way it helps spread they crowd out once outside and was ( IMHO ) a clever way to start managing the queues for the tube.

I loved the whole thing, totally magnificent to see in the flesh from Child catchers, to vlilage green cricket , Shakespeare to the Sex Pistols,

Well done to all who took part,

#proudtobebritish

unklehomered
    Free Member

The only missing thing for me in retrospect was Roald Dahl. But the whole thing was very Dahl in tone, like a mash-up between Pink Floyd’s The Wall, and the complete works of RD. I think the insanity worked as it made it captivating.

I’m assuming Macca was at the end as he knew once the flame was lit all the brits would go to bed, so no harm done.

khani
    Free Member

I thought it was ace! 😀 agree with the Macca comments though,..

juan
    Free Member

can’t remember of Macca, but as a non brit with some extensive knowledge of the british culture, I loved it, except the NHS bit. I can see why you’re proud of it, however with dave wanting to cut it I felt it was a bit hypocrite. Only bit i didn’t get was the queen stuff, but to be honest I never get it.

Sandwich

That was Sir Danny Boyle telling CMD and GO to get their tanks off our lawn.

khani
    Free Member

That was Sir Danny Boyle telling CMD and GO to get their tanks off our lawn.

That’s how I saw it as well, very poignant in these trying times….
    And giant pogoing punks!!! How cool was that.. 😆 ACE!!!
    And re the Macca bit, the Beatles were before my time, but for people who’s time it was it probably meant as much to them as the pistols did to me, so let it be… 😀

busydog
    Free Member

Both Mrs Busydog and I thought it was well done and highly entertaining. Not sure how long the program was in it’s entirety, but what was televised here in the US was 4 1/2 hours, with the first 30 minutes of NBC talking heads. I watched about 3 hours and recorded the rest to watch today.
    As an aside, the Mr. Bean and the orchestra bit was classic.
    Again, well done Britain.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I love the Beatles but there songs were murdered IMHO by a beatle and by the Arctic monkeys [ who were better than Macca]but yes they had to be there.

I thought Mr bean ruined a rousing piece of music but I a not a fan of Mr Bean which i found as funny as if they had done a Carry on pastiche …did they?

onewheelgood

ancientandloyal – Member
    Could be an age thing, but that singer on the right’s bang tidy

Elizabeth Roberts, soprano

And since I know it’s the music you are interested in…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mec8GZkEpD4[/video]

BoardinBob

I love the Beatles but there songs were murdered IMHO by a beatle and by the Arctic monkeys [ who were better than Macca]but yes they had to be there.

I actually thought the AM version of Come Together was pretty damn good

nealglover
    Free Member

….Apparently its not on US telly.

what was televised here in the US was 4 1/2 hours, with the first 30 minutes of NBC talking heads.

Don’t believe everything that bloke in the pub tells you 😉

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I actually thought the AM version of Come Together was pretty damn good

It was better than that awful racket they made before that.

It was never going to live up to the hype, but it wasn’t as awful as it could have been. I was half terrified that Chas n Dave were going to turn up.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Yes it was good but no one can really cover the beatles not even Maccaa any more 😕

Viewing 27 posts - 841 through 867 (of 867 total)

The topic ‘Danny Boyle risking embarrassing the nation… the opening ceremony thread’ is closed to new replies.