Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Damp proofing my shed
  • teenrat

My shed is made of single skin breezeblocks and is built into the hillside. Every winter ( and summer now) water seeps through the walls and makes the shed extremely damp which makes things rust. How can i stop this happening? The problem is that i have seen many waterproof paints , but as the water will be touching the bonded paint surface i think they would blow with time. Any ideas for a nice dry shed?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Remove the hill??

I would have thought there are only 2 options.

1. Dig out behind the wall and insert a plastic membrane.
    2. Tank out inside the shed ie with solid plastic membrance so that all the water then drains out the bottom of the shed.

Paints etc do not work over time.

wwaswas

dig down the outside of the wall and put a damp proof membrane in.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    teenrat

Unfortunately, digging down outside the shed is not an option. Its too complicated to explain the layout but any waterproofing will have to be done inside the shed

stumpyjon

My single skin garage suffered fro the same problem when we moved in, the really porous bricks just let the water pour in. I extended the damp proof course into the garage and then lined the inside of the wall with a plastic membrane held on with 50mm batons. I then filled the space between the batons with insulation and covered the whole lot with chipboard. 10 years on and I still have a dry garage and no obvious problems.

andyl
    Free Member

you could tank the inside walls with a tanking render type stuff. Have this in my flat as there was no other way to do it. Once done though you can’t drill into it so if you go this route plan it carefully. I have had to glue my radiators to the walls! 😯 (wasn’t my idea and yes I am making some legs for them)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Damp proofing my shed’ is closed to new replies.