Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Damn lumicycle postage costs – what new light
  • Waderider
    Free Member

Happily been using Lumicycle from 1997 when my Nightsun died. My Li-ion charger failed the other day and visiting their website for delivery to the Highlands of Scotland my postage options via UPS range from £40.04 to £118.93 for a new one. I’m a bit incredulous at this – the £40.04 is to a UPS Delivery point, which effectively means I drive about a 100 miles to Inverness and back to collect.

I messaged Lumicycle pleading for some sanity but they haven’t replied. I think it’s the end of a lovely customer relationship.

SO – anyone got a lumicycle Li-ion charger they want to sell me? Only full light sets on EBAY at the moment…..I want to get out on my bike again.

Alternatively what is the go to lights these days for well made lights where you can replace parts / get then serviced so they last for years?

stumpy01

Does the charger not have the spec printed on the back of it?
    You could just search for an equivalent? It won’t be anything particularly special – you just need to know what the spec is.
    Maybe you could take a pic & ping it to mtbbatteries to see if they have a suitable charger?

EDIT – if there is a spec on the charger, post a pic on here of what it is & I’m sure people will be able to advise.

the00
    Free Member

I suspect Lunicycles’ idea of a ‘lovely customer relationship’ is that you buy something more often than every 25 years 🤣

CheesybeanZ

anyone got a lumicycle Li-ion charger they want to sell me

I may well have one in the lights box , I’ll look when I get back home.

Waderider
    Free Member

Stumpy01 – Type 2241 4 cells li-ion charger, 5.5mm female jack, 0.9A 16.8v output. Been googling lots. About to check mtbbatteries, thanks for the tip.

the00 – bought many systems over the years, have three batterys and two LED head units here, so kind of wedded to the brand. Old halogens kicking about too. That’s what makes procuring a charger from them costing me I reckon minimum £130 all in including collection costs so disappointing. I’ve even bought replacement chargers before without this issue.

Thanks Cheesybeenz.

irc

Can you not get it posted to a relative in civilization then get them to send it on via Royal Mail?

Crazy you would have to but RM charges for a small charger can’t be much surely?

scotroutes

Isn’t it £8.99 to get it delivered to Inverness?

Waderider
    Free Member

irc – tried my pals house near Stirling the other night cheapest was also £40.04 for UPS access point.

scotroutes – yep pleasingly/annoyingly UPS access charge has now dropped from £40.04 to £8.99 (Edit – no, still £40.04 when I put my correct postcode in, even though it makes no difference as it is being delivered to a collection point!).

Insane, the failed charger is a few hundred grams and would fit in a half pint glass. I think on principle I need to move away from lumicycle.

Anyone fancy letting me know what costs they see using postcode PH34 4EQ? Going mad!

stumpy01

Here’s a few options that might work.
    I am not entirely sure if you need to match the current of the original.
    I think that is max output & the battery will draw what it needs to charge – could be wrong though, so don’t take that as gospel.

manomano link

altbatteries link

Loads of options on ebay although not sure I’d trust them as they seem a bit too cheap.

Another thing to check regarding the specs would be the diagram of polarity for the connector.

Waderider
    Free Member

Thanks folks. I’m going to dry up now and just order the best non lumicycle charger I can identify. I can test it on an older battery first.

scotroutes

TBH I simply refuse to deal with folk who want to charge stupid amounts for postage to a UK mainland address. A certain bike shop in Glasgow is already in my bad books 😂

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

TBH I simply refuse to deal with folk who want to charge stupid amounts for postage to a UK mainland address.

It’s n not them charging it though really, its the delivery company, in the OP’s case, its a 200mi round trip from the depot in Inverness to his house, it’s unlikely the delivery will tally with another one of its a dated service. For £118 quid.
    If they average 50mph that’s 4 hours, at minimum wage leaves £80 for fuel, so 40p a mile.

The stupid thing about that £118 is it’ll cost ups twice that, at least, to deliver it.

irc

Well they are off my list as well. For a delivery to 7 miles north of Glasgow it is £49.94 for UPS Standard. Only £8.99 for an access point.

martinhutch

They really should be switching to Royal Mail small parcel if the couriers are coming up with those prices for their customers.

onehundredthidiot

peekay

TBH I simply refuse to deal with folk who want to charge stupid amounts for postage to a UK mainland address.

How do you think it should be done? A standard cost of postage for UPS no matter where on the UK mainland you live, therefore those who live closer to large population centres subsidise the postage of those that choose to live in more remote locations? (The Royal Mail letter model)

Could you try calling Lumicycle and ask them about other postage options, preferably Royal Mail standard post?

CheesybeanZ

If that’s the one you’re after I can pop it in the post .

Waderider
    Free Member

Cheezybeanz that’s the very one, you’re a star. I’ll PM you.

scotroutes

How do you think it should be done?

If only there was a cheaper courier service. One that delivered everywhere in the UK. I guess that would mean that someone at Lumicycle might need to go to a Post Office or the likes. That would still cost less than £100.

footflaps

someone at Lumicycle might need to go to a Post Office or the likes

No, they collect now…

I suspect they don’t use RM as they don’t like Li-ion batteries in the post, whereas UPS will take them.

NB I know the charger doesn’t contain any cells, but I suspect most of their deliveries do….

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Also, given the current issues with royal mail actually not delivering anything anywhere quite often, a lot of companies simply won’t send stuff with them at the moment.

The difficulty with ups et al (and one would think royal mail given the chance) is that people want stuff in “a few days”, not “next time we’ve got enough to make it a worthwhile trip”.

Sending someone to the arse end of nowhere to deliver two small items an hour apart for £5.00ea isn’t ever going to be feasible in a business.

pistonbroke
    Free Member

On a similar theme, I wanted to order a £2.99 paper gasket for my Rohloff hub which is about half the size and weight of a postcard. As usual SJS Cycles were the only stockist but wanted £24 to send it to me in Spain and wouldn’t budge when I asked them to simply put it in an envelope and treat it as a letter,I would take the risk. Been dealing with them for 20 years but no longer.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.