Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • Damm Emmigrants
  • konabunny
    Free Member

4.2 million people in the UK is a significant proportion of the population. 5.5 million Britons outside the UK is a spit in the ocean.

That’s a pretty facepalmy statement if you think about it.

lemonysam
    Free Member

ninfan
    Free Member

How will the couriers deliver to the space station?

Offshore the job to the Indians and Chinese like everything else 😆

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    teamhurtmore
    Free Member

MSP – you have a point but it (the poster) is not quite doing that. Perhaps it should and start with using net migration statistics (widely available) and we are about a net 2 gains for every 1000 inhabitants which hardly stands out either way. In fact we have only just returned to net positive migration after two years of the opposite. Mostly coming from China, India, Poland US and Aus. Not quite what the papers would have you believe!!!

Then there is the odd policy if Cameron calling for an absolute cap (not a pefcentage or even a net figure) by 2015 when the UK needs to have positive net migration to offset our demographic trends. Very odd policy, but then the politics of immigration gets very confused.

deepreddave
    Free Member

The issue surely is the extent of immigration/emmigration over a more relevant period i.e. shorter. Common sense would suggest we need the infrastructure in place to cope as that seems to be the main bone of contention for the majority. History shows both have positive benefits but the rate of either is a major issue.

pussywillow
    Free Member

Yes immigration is going to knacker the country, and is already having a massive affect where I live and work, I bet the most of you live away from it all in the country side with your big posh houses and cars,and I bet the most of you are employers too…..but it will catch up with you. 🙂

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Are you saying that the TUC are not representing your interests then, pussywillow?

brakes
    Free Member

I went to Romania a few weeks ago. The plane back to London-Luton was FULL of Romanians! Who’d have thought it eh?

julianwilson
    Free Member

meehaja – Member

My step dad is anti immigration, he lives in france and doesn’t speak french. My mum was recently moaning about not getting the winter fuel allowance as she needs it more than most, what with living in a 500 year old drafty farm house. In france.

Both return to UK when ill for “free health care”

fwiw, not that I am particularly in favour of it but health insurance in France is pretty reasonable (as it only needs to pay for GP-level care and the 20% of hospital treatment that is not funded via taxation by the state anyway (incl for EU citizens iirc). Depending on what is wrong and how often they need to seek medical help, they might be financially better off not spending on travel/accommodation and instead insuring themselves and seeking treatment at home in france. Of course that would mean learning to speak some french though!

Too complicated to measure meaningfully, but it would be entertaining to see some sort of measure of brits who learn to speak the language of the country they live in. Seems that the expat stw community does very well at this, but then largely they don’t run fish and chip shops in magaluf.
    A friend’s dad lives in a lovely rural village setting in Italy, hardly speaks a word of Italian (his son and daughter-in-law do but live in UK) but it’s all ok as all the neighbours like him so those that know a bit of english to explain stuff to him deal with tradespeople, doctors etc and explain/answer all his post etc for him. 😕

ninfan
    Free Member

THM – you’re into a complex area there, thats for sure!

Of course, one of the big arguments regards unions has been their insistence on playing quasi-national politics rather than represent the interests of their workers

The history of Unions and immigration/minority workers is a long and messy one, for every Grunswick there’s a glossed over and forgotten incidence like Dockers walking out on strike in support of Enoch Powell…

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Complex and messy ninfan!!!

Not only the contraditictions that cross party politics in the UK but also between the same parties in different countries across Europe. Then there are the founding fathers of the EU who (when pressed) really don’t believe in the freedom of movement even though it is one of the three core freedoms that they advocate.

Wonderfully messy!!!!

TooTall
    Free Member

If you live and work outside the UK, there’s not much tax to be paid in the UK.

Not much, but I pay some.

alpin
    Free Member

MSP – Member

” ..but I doubt many of them are living on state benefits.”

Well I wouldn’t want to return to the UK to live on benefits, they are crap compared to what I would get in Germany.

i’m not even sure what kind of benefits i am entitled to despite living in Schermany for the last six years…. being self-employed since leaving college at 18 i’ve never looked to the state to fund my drug fuelled lifestyle life.

one of the reasons i ended up moving to Germany was that as a chippy i had a period of three months with next to no work. partly due to the financial melt-down at the end of 2007 and partly due to there being lots of eastern tradesmen willing to work for 60-70 quid a day. i couldn’t afford to work for 350 quid a week.

now in Germany i work at the same rates or higher than the “local” lads. no-one likes being undercut.

but some of Britain’s greatest figures were foreign… Isambard Kingdom Brunel’s old man was from France and a great engineer in his own right.
    the birthplace of radio (as the signs say as they welcome you to Chelmsford) was home to Marconi, an Italian/Irish mongrel.

mightymule
    Free Member

My favourites are the people who rant about “illegal immigrants living here on benefits”.

Cue facepalm….

akira

Surely if they’re stealing our jobs and benefits they’re paying for themselves?

tekp2
    Free Member

According to last week’s Economist, Eastern European immigrants to the UK, “Contribute more to the Treasury in taxes than they take out in benefits – about 35% more, according to a plausible estimate”. Why? Because on the whole they’re young and here to work hard and make some money.

nealglover
    Free Member

If you live and work outside the UK, there’s not much tax to be paid in the UK.

Not much, but I pay some.

If you don’t live in the UK. What tax do you pay here ?

mogrim

You should keep paying NI if you’re planning on retiring/moving back to the UK.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Tekp, exactly. which is why CMD’s proposal is so odd especially given our aging population.

mrmo
    Free Member

Tekp, exactly. which is why CMD’s proposal is so odd especially given our aging population.

Only question though, and I am not anti immigrant, what happens when these people get older. Do they return to their native country or do they remain having built up relationships through their working life?

Most working age people pay more than they take out of the system, it is the old and very young who are a drain on services.

chewkw
    Free Member

MSP – Member

Well maybe you could offer some argument against it, or perhaps you should read the forum rules on trolling.

Statistically, you must have believed in your own assumption hence it must be true for you. <- 😆

I don’t mind the immigrants because they will keep price low (wage competition, this is my assumption so it must be true) but when they come over to sleep rough and beg for living, there is something wrong and it does not take the genius news to report it.

😆

Northwind

chewkw – Member

but when they come over to sleep rough and beg for living, there is something wrong and it does not take the genius news to report it.

You’re right, if things at home are bad enough that they’d rather travel to a far off and somewhat hostile country in order to sleep rough and beg for a living, there is something very wrong. We should probably help folks in that sort of situation, eh.

Dropping out of normal life in the UK, sleeping rough and becoming a beggar is something open to all of us, if you believe it’s so desirable and cushy why not do it tomorrow?

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

“illegal immigrants living here on benefits”.

Cue facepalm….

not really. Your “facepalm” is as simplistic as the Daily Hate cries you mock. Most illegal immigrants, whether working in the black economy or not, when they do come to the notice of the authorities claim asylum. Once registered with Border Agency and their asylum case is pending, they are prohibited from working (which seems utterly perverse).

I manage a police station custody suite, every week we have illegal immigrants jump out of lorries (we’re near a service station that is a natural stop for HGVs driving north from Dover/Portsmouth) and present themselves to the police station in order to claim asylum. In the 2 years I’ve been in this role the majority through that time have been eastern European, in the last 6-9 months there’s been large numbers of north african (Somalia, Eritrea etc).

They obviously get some briefing/feedback from their traffickers or others that have attempted it before; everyone who either is or looks young claims to be 17yrs old. If they are 16yrs, social services place them into foster or other care, if they are 17 they get independent housing, if they are 18 or above (ie. adult) they face the prospect of being held in detention centres. Social workers make age assessments, based on interviews rather than cutting them in half and counting the rings.

chewkw
    Free Member

Northwind – Member

chewkw – Member

but when they come over to sleep rough and beg for living, there is something wrong and it does not take the genius news to report it.

You’re right, if things at home are bad enough that they’d rather travel to a far off and somewhat hostile country in order to sleep rough and beg for a living, there is something very wrong. We should probably help folks in that sort of situation, eh.

Why not help those from China, India, Africa, South America and Asia? Why be so selective about EU only? How about non-EU people? Is it because they are “black”?

Are you being true to yourself? Are you actually a TUC member for being selective with information?

Dropping out of normal life in the UK, sleeping rough and becoming a beggar is something open to all of us, if you believe it’s so desirable and cushy why not do it tomorrow?

Have you tried it yourself?

I know once I have £20 to live the entire month in a country where there is no social welfare and the feeling was not good, but you are most welcome to try that.

🙄

ninfan
    Free Member

You’re right, if things at home are bad enough that they’d rather travel to a far off and somewhat hostile country in order to sleep rough and beg for a living, there is something very wrong.

Perhaps that wasn’t their plan – remember the tale of Dick Whittington, attracted by the tales of streets paved with gold, ended up sleeping on the streets?

nealglover
    Free Member

remember the tale of Dick Whittington

Look out Boris !!

Northwind

ninfan – Member

Perhaps that wasn’t their plan – remember the tale of Dick Whittington, attracted by the tales of streets paved with gold, ended up sleeping on the streets?

Don’t tell me, tell Chewkw, he thinks they’re coming here to fulfil their dreams of being street people

mikewsmith
    Free Member

As a Brit abroad (one of the stats in the Oz numbers) I posted the pic really to show Immigration is not a simple issue, most of the stuff shouted about in the papers is based on nothing at all, a load of it is set out to scare people.

It’s a debate that needs to be had but also had with a ref to pull people up for spouting crap.

TooTall
    Free Member

having my pension paid in the UK works out better for me tax wise. Also, ensuring I have enough contributions for my State pension.

Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘Damm Emmigrants’ is closed to new replies.