Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Damaged BB shell threads – repairable?
  • woody2000

Bit of an odd one, out riding on Saturday and noticed a bit of a wobble from my cranks (XT HTII). I assumed they’d just come loose, but when I stopped I noticed that the drive side cup was wobbling, and consequently it appears that the BB shell threads are damaged. Not sure how the cup has worked loose, I can only guess I cross threaded it perhaps, but the BB has been in for several months and I’d have thought it would have been apparent before now. Anyway, after all that guff, is it repairable? 456 frame BTW

woody2000

Anyone? 🙂

coatesy
    Free Member

Isn’t the 456 a steel frame, if so then it’s more likely to be the aluminium cup that’s damaged. If it is the frame, then somebody like Argos Racing Cycles can repair it. Also may be worth trying a Race Face DH BB first as they have longer threads which may do the job.

woody2000

That was my thinking too, I’ve got one of those BBs in my spares box. Didn’t know if screwing another cup in might cause more damage though. The threads on the cup that’s come loose look ok as far as I can tell, I’ll have to double check though

Onzadog
    Free Member

BETD can machine out and bond an insert into the shell if it is dead.

Stoner
    Free Member

even if it’s the cup thats fecked, the steel threads can still have got a bit messed which you run the risk of exaggerating if you force a new cup in.

For the sake of £10-20 for your LBS to chase out the threads and some piece of mind I’d drop it in to them.

barney
    Free Member

Second the “chasing the threads out at your LBS” comment…

bigyinn
    Free Member

3rd getting the threads chased before anymore “drastic” action…..

swisstony
    Free Member

The same thing happened to me with my stiffee, definatley have the threads chased first this may well do it and if that doesn’t do it send it off to be repaired with a new sleeve.

Mine is back with BETD at the mo, though i wouldn’t recommend them!

brant
    Free Member

HT2 cups are alloy aren’t they? And the frame is steel. It’s not impossible for the alloy cup to wear the steel frame, but I’d have thought it unlikely.

woody2000

Thanks all, I’ll take a closer look tonight to determine exactly which bit’s damaged (frame or BB cup). Think I’ll be dropping it off at the LBS before I try anything else!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Damaged BB shell threads – repairable?’ is closed to new replies.