Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Dalby vs Glentress
  • gingerss
    Free Member

How do they compare effort wise. Not concerned with technical side as I’m confident to tackle any black graded stuff.

So, how much effort is GT red vs Dalby red, and GT black vs Dalby red?

Just trying to gauge required fitness levels for a forthcoming excursion. I want to be able to fully enjoy it rather than feeling spent half way round. Done Dalby quite a few times now hence for me it makes a good benchmark.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Similar asked last week – maybe this will help:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/tell-me-about-glentress-1

I’ve not been to Dalby but as an “average” mtber GT red is fine. The snag is you’ll want to do some bits more than once. Black is physically more challenging. But take your time, bring snacks, enjoy.

Heading up there early Feb. How does the red route compare to say the likes of Dalby etc?

Can you get a red loop of Glentress and Inners done in a day?

Any other info/tips gratefully received!

gingerss
    Free Member

Cheers. That thread seems to answer my questions.

jonba
    Free Member

in my opinion (it’s important that bit)…

GT red is easier physically than Dalby red. Dalby is much longer. I would say that GT is harder technically though. Nothing individually is harder but there is more hard stuff on the trail.

GT black is much longer than Dalby black. There are some tricky bits on both. If you are ok at Dalby then you’ll be ok at GT. The harder bits are dead obvious so you won’t find yourself faced with an impossible obstacle . The route is longer but there are plenty of escape options.

As on the other thread, don’t assume you have to ride all of one loopp. The trails at GT seem to link up much better and the best ride is a mixture of black red and blue.

Garry_Lager

GT black is a good effort – think it’s about 17 miles but it’s quite hilly – first 6 to the radio mast are essentially uphill. There’s a second climb further along called ‘redemption’ that can kick you in the baws – by itself it’s OK but layered on top of previous effort it’s hard work.
    As Jonba says, though, there are plenty of signposted ‘escape routes to the hub peel’, so if you’re not feeling it that day there’s always a way home.

turboferret

Not ridden GT Black, but Dalby red is considerably longer than GT red, took a fair bit more time and effort to get round.

Cheers, Rich

ross980
    Free Member

The Black at Glentress might not be as long but it has ‘proper’ hills, Dalby does not. For that reason I think Glentress takes more effort, its also MUCH better and well worth a visit. Although when doing Dalby I tend to do a mix of new/old red, wcxc and old black. I avoid the long flat section at the north part of the new red as it’s flat, boring and has no purpose other than giving Dalby bragging rights for route length (IMHO)

rucknar
    Free Member

Did Dalby red the other day, highlighted my lack of fitness. Some people can do it in 1:50 according to one of the race organisers ( i didn’t race). INSANE!

njee20
    Free Member

That’s about 12mph, not really insane!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Dalby vs Glentress’ is closed to new replies.