• This topic has 17 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Roo.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Dalby forest parking
  • Mowgli
    Free Member

There’s a few of us meeting up at Dalby this weekend, each coming from different directions in our own cars. I don’t mind paying the (extortionate) parking when it’s split between a few people, but seems daft to each pay £7.50. So is there somewhere nearby we can leave a car or two then drive down to the visitors centre in one car?

Cheers

oblique
    Free Member

There is sometimes parking in thornton-le-dale but that can quite often be full. There is a layby at the top of the hill out of thorton towards dalby but i am really not sure the legal status of that.

You could meet in allerston, a small vilage so you should find some parking. If you are feeling really cheep adventurous you could ride up from allerston and join the red route that way. It means you have a nice pub at the end of the ride. Look at an OS map and it is a simple track up to the forest.

asherh
    Free Member

Depends which direction you are coming from. Bickley Gate car park at the NE of the forest has the red route running through it and is conveniently just outside the toll.

alexpalacefan

£7.50, to ride a bike worth “about a grand”? Just pay your dues, the parking is what covers the cost of the centre. If you don’t like it, share cars or go somewhere else!

APF

asherh
    Free Member

I think the car sharing is what he was considering…

ton

i always feel good paying the price at dalby to ride on such well designed/maintained trails.
    very good vfm………… 8)

Simon

alexpalacefan – Member
    Just pay your dues, the parking is what covers the cost of the centre.

I don’t think that’s true at Dalby…………

EDIT: If you get involved with trail building with SingletrAction at Dalby or one of our other projects you can get a free Dalby pass.

Mowgli
    Free Member

Thanks for the tips fellas.

APF, learn to read. I am talking about car sharing.

alexpalacefan

OK, but you’re still avoiding paying to ride the trails.

APF

br
    Free Member

APF, learn to read. I am talking about car sharing.

Doesn’t read like that from here:

So is there somewhere nearby we can leave a car or two then drive down to the visitors centre in one car?

Mowgli
    Free Member

You are an odd chap. You read through all my previous posts to figure out how much my bike is worth?!

nosedive
    Free Member

at least there has been plenty of money spent at Dalby recently, before the world cup things were starting to look a bit tatty but the new stuff is great.

BFITH
    Free Member

Get there before 8am…..nobody at the hut and much quieter trails….job done!

hels
    Free Member

I think this is fair dos, Mowgli is wanting to car share, so they are taking up a couple of spaces rather than 7, enabling other users to access the National Forest Estate. £7.50 rather expensive !

nosedive
    Free Member

I got there before 8am last time, i was so impressed with the new trails I stopped and paid on the way out. an unprecedented attack of honesty!

insanelemming
    Free Member

Park at the Hole of Horcum Car park on the A169 and ride in on the Old Wife’s Way. Grid SE 85262 93782. Brings you straight onto the Red Route.

Why £7.50 when Glentress (much better IMHO) only £3?

dickie
    Free Member

How much does it cost to stand in a huge crowd on saturday afternoon at 3pm to watch a football match? If you all go in one car does only one person pay?

At Dalby it starts when you arrive & finishes when you leave, it can last all day too if you want.

Expensive?? Depends how you look at it & whether you want it to last so you can go back again.

They do a season ticket too, costs about £35, is always at the same venue, & lasts 12 months so you can go everyday.

Roo
    Free Member

Technically it’s free to park, it’s £7.50 toll road to get there though.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Dalby forest parking’ is closed to new replies.