Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Dalbeattie- Trail tips Blue and red route – Cycling with kids advice please
  • Junkyard
    Free Member

Thinking of heading up there in the summer with the kids.
    They are 6 and 8 and riding rigid 20 ” – compotent cyclists for rolling drops and table tops and the likes but not great on bumps with the little wheels and no suspension – ie they will moan if it is super Bumpy.
    Will get 10 miles out of them – total height gain is usually about 250 metres though

Anyone ridden the Green – Iron Hash trail or the Blue Moyle Hill trail?

What is it like standard wise and how much climbing is there involved?

Is the skills area any good – the official website mentions it has one but gives no details

Are other 7 stanes better options for the kids?

Basically want a nice couple of days riding with some “proper” MTB [ I know it a trail centre] for the kids

Happy to hear of any natural routes as well in that area

TA all

ahwiles
    Free Member

the blue at dalbeattie is alright.

there’s a bit too much gravel-road, and some of the single-track is a *bit* trickier than maybe you’d expect on a blue.

(but most of it is good, easy, fun)

not too much climbing – but enough to tire a noobie/child

if they’ve got any oomph left in them at the end, send them round the short ‘skills’ loop (it’s about 1km and not too hard, even i found it great fun and i’m a STW trail-mincing-expert)

the blue at mabie will make even the most enthusiastic beginner die of boredom.

the blue at Ae is utter cack.

FAO trailcentre managers: 10k swoopy blues = beginners and families = cafe revenue.

richmtb

the blue at mabie will make even the most enthusiastic beginner die of boredom.

the blue at Ae is utter cack.

Yep agree

Best Blue routes in the Seven Stanes network are Kirroughtree and Glentress

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Sorry no advice on blue trails etc, nut would definately say Kirroughtree is a nice place to be with kids. Big grassy areas, kids playground etc etc.

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Dalbeatie, Kirroughtree and Glentress blues all good for kids.

Also, when mine were littler we went to Glentrool and the blue was remarkably good fun for them.

gwaelod
    Free Member

another vote for Kirroughtree – couldn’t get my 9 year old off the Taster loop bit..disclaimer – it was a few years ago now though. She enjoyed the bermy bits on the blue at Glentrool as well…that was another “can we do it again” day.

Off to D&G again in a months time…looking forwad to it immenesly.

ampthill

My kids were older but

Dalbeattie skills area is well set up with opt in obstacles so would be fine. But Dalbeattie red was very rocky. Sort of shown in vid below but the video doesn’t show the sections they all just walked.

The red at Mabie might do. Its much more smooth and has some good sections of swoops and berms. It not far off 10 miles I’m not sure about ascent

This may help

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIkWAv_f870[/video]

Junkyard
    Free Member

Cheers all for the comments

they can ride red grade at a push but the lack of travel and little wheels means its a bit hit and miss @ 3:31 in that video is the problem when it gets a bit rocky they wont get over everything

Will investigate further but t hat was just the closest to me

Thanks for the help

mick_r

Kirroughtree is a favourite with our kids. At similar ages / bikes / ability to yours they were happy on the blue plus bits of red if they wanted to extend. Playground also nice. Mossyard beach is 15 mins drive away if they need other entertainment.

Dalbeattie – You can make your own loops using bits of red and blue for a good kids ride – quite a few of the sections nearer to the car park are fairly smooth and rolling. It is the more distant red sections that are rockier. I presume you already know about Rockliffe beach for kids rockpooling and clambering?

Laps of Mabie skills loop will entertain them for a bit. Eldest could do full laps of the red at 10 yrs. Younger does selected bits of red with some corner cutting. Fire road blue / green very dull. Playground also OK.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Dalbeattie- Trail tips Blue and red route – Cycling with kids advice please’ is closed to new replies.