Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Daily boring car question
  • kelron
    Free Member

It’s looking like I’ll need to replace my current car, I’d really like something I can fit my bike inside but don’t want anything huge when it will mostly just be me in it. I know this comes up all the time but I can’t afford anything new so I’d like some suggestions.

Requirements, in order of priority:

1. Less than £3000.

2. Reliable.

3. Can fit an XL 29er inside, ideally with the back wheel on (I can keep using my bike rack but would prefer not to).

4. Not huge.

5. Can seat adults in the back comfortably (without bikes).

At the moment I’m looking at a Jazz but not sure what it’s like with big bikes, considering an estate of some sort but it increases the running costs a lot. I’ve done 2 bikes in the back of a pokey hatchback before but I don’t want the hassle of taking back wheels off and wrestling frames in at weird angles.

hypnonewt
    Free Member

Honda Accord

Mazda 6

Owned both of these and they easily fit my XL 29ers in the back, and had no complaints about space from passengers.

kayla1
    Free Member

We’ve just got a Ford Galaxy mk3 for our bikey gubbins. It’s pretty big but with the seats folded flat (they fold down to form a flat floor) you should be able to get your bike in ok with the front wheel out and seat down. Sub £300 fully comp insurance for us and averaged about 58mpg on a run over to Lancashire last weekend. I really like it.

andrewh
    Free Member

Standard answer is Mondeo. Depends on how you define huge.

Don’t think estates have any different running costs, maybe 1mpg different but usually depreciate a bit less rapidly

kcal

depending on the bike – oh – I see it’s an XL 29r – then as above, can get my Medium hardtail in back of our Octavia no sweat, sometimes without removing the wheels (depends on whether its 29r or 650b+).. obviously adults can get in back easily enough. running costs – pretty normal (petrol, small town miles and then big journeys).

cost – 60 plate, standard level of trim, WBAC.com puts it at £3,800 (so I guess probably costs £4k or so).

nickdavies

You want a box on wheels. Citroen berlingo, skoda roomster etc.

kelron
    Free Member

You want a box on wheels.

Sounds about right.

Thanks for the suggestions, gives me something to go on.

TomB

Our 2005 Jazz takes my Xl 29er with just front wheel off, back seats folded. It’s a tardis and I’m very impressed. Wouldn’t want to do big mileage trips in it as gearing/engine size make for noisy 70mph cruising.

tmass91
    Free Member

I used to have a Ford C-Max which I used to fit 2 XL bikes in the back with the front wheels removed with plenty of space left for bits and bobs. I used a rack on the CMax for convenience though. Plenty of room when the seats were in too. Currently have a Mondeo estate and with the seats folded in that, you could fit 3-4 bikes in piled up. It’s honestly huge. Both came in at under 3K and I couldn’t be happier with the Mondeo.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Friend of mine used to have a Peugeot 405 estate. Bangernomics

pocpoc
    Free Member

I used to have a Ford C-Max

I looked for a sub-£3K C-max earlier this year. All around 08-10 plate Every single of one them had rusty rear wheel arches. Same went for Focus’ in the same price range. Ended up with a 59 plate Mazda 6 hatchback. Takes an XL 29er hardtail no problem with front wheel off, would probably fit with front wheel on too if I wasn’t bothered about trying to cover the majority of it from view.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Daily boring car question’ is closed to new replies.