Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Daft question that could make me look stoopid (Rose bikes SLX brakes content)
  • wilko1999
    Free Member

I’m about to order some SLX brakes from Rose, but the front brake details state ‘left brake lever’ and the rear brake details state ‘right brake lever’

Example:

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/shimano-slx-disc-brake-br-m675/aid:591857

I’m hoping that they are standing in front of the bike when they state ‘left brake lever’, either that or the Europeans have their levers round the other way. Either that or I’ve forgotten since I rode my bike last night which side my levers are on!

Anyone able to confirm any of the above? Preferably that I’m not being stoopid!

Thanks

Teetosugars
    Free Member

The europeans have the brakes te other way around…

Just need to swap them over when you shorten the hoses.

fd3chris
    Free Member

I found them cheaper on bike discount.de at the wkd .

wilko1999
    Free Member

Aha, I see, thanks for your help all

andyl
    Free Member

Am I going to get kicked out of the UK for suggesting to just switch to the Euro way? Shouldnt take too long to adjust.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

andyl – Member
    Am I going to get kicked out of the UK for suggesting to just switch to the Euro way? Shouldnt take too long to adjust.

I’d imagine, yes. This is STW afterall… 😉

bentudder

Please hand your passport in on the way out. 😉

If you’re naturally right-handed, there’s a good argument in favour of having the most powerful brake in your right hand.

That said, most frames are designed for right hand rear brake routing.

It’s all bikes, anyway.

wilko1999
    Free Member

Cheers fd3chris, you were right, they were cheaper so I’ve gone with them

Don’t make sense to me, all motorbikes have front brake on the right, euro or not

I ride both so I’m quite happy with them being the same!

fd3chris
    Free Member

I ride both too but have swapped mine around for some reason !

AngusWells

So why isn’t Europe full of mountain bikers who crashed because their most powerful hand was pulling the ‘wrong’ brake?

Just a thought.

brakes
    Free Member

it’s easier to just swap your hands over.

MrOvershoot

I would guess it has more to do with hand signals on the road, we drive on the left so a right turn is across traffic.
    If your indicating a right turn its better to have control of your back brake so ours are on the left.
    Those places that drive on the other side of the road probably think it makes sense to have the rear lever on the other side as a left turn is where you do the most indicating.

BTW anyone know which side the Japanese run their brake levers as they also drive on the left?

bentudder

So why isn’t Europe full of mountain bikers who crashed because their most powerful hand was pulling the ‘wrong’ brake?

Not necessarily about power. A bit like learning to left foot brake in a car, I suppose. But you’re right. Of course, they also don’t crash because they have mad Euro Skillz, but that’s a different matter. 😀

rOcKeTdOg

If you’re naturally right-handed, there’s a good argument in favour of having the most powerful brake in your right hand.

It already is, the front is much more powerful than the rear and more controllable

nwill1
    Free Member

It’s only the UK that run brakes setup rear on the left, the BMX Olympic heats have just been on….all riders with one break….rear….on the right, I used to ride a BMX like that so carried it over to mountain bike and put the front on the left….was terrified I’d instinctively pull the right hard and go otb!

DezB
    Free Member

This came up when the first lot of cheap Rose Bike brakes offers came up, so I did a quickie guide to swapping the hoses over.
    Lemme know if you want me to post it again.

wilko1999
    Free Member

Dez, I’ve shortened brake hoses and bled them before, but I’m by no means an expert, so any help would be much appreciated

teamslug
    Free Member

So if we all swap brake levers over I’m going into the full faced helmet business for a few months

DezB
    Free Member
    brakes
    Free Member

I used DezB’s guide on a set of XTs from Rose :thumbsup:

wilko1999
    Free Member

Good work Dez, thanks for that

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Daft question that could make me look stoopid (Rose bikes SLX brakes content)’ is closed to new replies.