Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Daft insurance requirements
  • Jordan

I was planning to upgrade my shed security. The shed is actually part of an old cottage so is pretty solid with thick stone walls, stone slate roof and heavy wooden door. I was just going to upgrade the door really with heavy steel strap hinges bolted through the frame and door and a heavy grade lock like this one. also bolted in place.

The policy specifies a 5 lever lock which the door already has. It is a mortice lock so I think a decent crowbar could splinter it out of the door.

Anyway I emailed the insurance company with the above link asking if it would be ok and got this reply. “This lock does not appear to be 5 Lever, therefore when stored inside the outbuilding the bike should be secured through its frame to an immovable object using a Sold Secure Gold standard lock.”

No need to bother then..Sigh!

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

Thanks for sharing.

damascus
    Free Member

A friend secured his bike to a metal bin filled with concrete and the chain set into it.

The idiots who broke in decided that as they couldn’t steal the bike they would trash it.

His insurance policy covered him for theft but not for vandalism so as it was still there he wasn’t covered. He said he wished he had just left it so they had taken it.

You might want to ask about that scenario as well.

Greybeard
    Free Member

The policy specifies a 5 lever lock which the door already has

Have you pointed this out to them? Surely you are insured by virtue of that; if you choose to add extra protection it doesn’t invalidate the 5 lever lock that’s already there.

Jordan

@Greybeard That’s right but I wanted to replace the lock rather than add another. There is a laundry room in there and OH would be peed off if she has to open two locks.

@damascus
    I will check but I think it is covered for pretty much any kind of damage.

Edit: I will probably just reinforce the existing lock with a steel plate either side bolted through. The frame is already feinforced that way.

Greybeard
    Free Member

OK, I follow you now. I think a 5 lever mortice lock, in itself, is more secure than the lock you’re proposing, so the insurance company requirement isn’t that daft. The mortice lock is a lot harder to get at, eg, to cut the bolt with an angle grinder. How about reinforcing the door around the lock, rather than replacing it?

Jordan

@Greybeard regarding reinforcing, see above. You could be right though about the 5 lever lock. In all honesty, I don’t know. I genuinely thought the one I linked to would be more secure. The bolt would be on the inside away from angle grinders. tbh. If people are armed with grinders etc then they are going to get in anyway. I just wanted something that would resist quiet force e.g. a crowbar. If they need to make noise to get in then that is an extra deterent.

nickdavies

Hang on, policy specifies 5 lever locks, you’ve asked them if you can downgrade the lock to which they’ve said no. I don’t get it?

That’s a gate bolt.. doesn’t matter how well you reinforce it if they pick it/snap it etc. A 5 lever proper mortice lock will be hardened, anti pick etc,to whatever standard they use.

Jordan

Oh well, seems I got it wrong then. Stupid me, thought that a stainless steel heavy duty long throw bolt encased in steel and bolted through a door would be somehow stronger than a short throw brass bolt encased in wood. Everyday’s a school day!

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

Shed? Isn’t that an outbuilding.
    Definately wise to bolster security, been a tonne of robberies during ciara in hudds

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Daft insurance requirements’ is closed to new replies.