Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Dads net. Bullying when it's your own child doing the bullying.
  • neilsonwheels
    Free Member

It would appear that my daughter has turned in a bit of a bully since joining high school. I have always told her to stick up for her self ect… but there have been one too many incidents of her “sticking up for herself” recently. She has p!$$ed me right off to say the least. Anyone else had this.?

glupton1976
    Free Member

Why is she being given the opportunity to “stick up for herself” a lot? It might not be her fault.

Cletus

Not had this (yet) with my kids but a mate did with his lad. He tackled it by first making sure of the facts, then explaining to his lad why he was being punished, setting a punishment (no playing for his football team for a month plus no computer or game console) and sticking to it.

The last point is important as he got pressure from his wife (and the kids football coach) to lift the punishment early but he stuck to it and it seems to have worked as there has been no repetition of the bullying after over a year.

Firm but fair is the way to go.

MrNutt
    Free Member

coalbunker, 42hrs.

samuri
    Free Member

On the upside it’ll prepare her nicely for a slot on The Junior apprentice.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

My house tutor (9th dan black belt) way of dealing with bullies was to take them into his office (nee broom cupboard) and give them an un relenting fertile style hair dryer treatment. On more than one occasion the bullies would leave having pissed in their trousers, which would be an open secret in the school, having been started by the teacher.

Seems appropriate.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Cletus has the correct approach. The punishment has to be proportionate and reasonable. “You’re grounded until you’re 16!” is not going to be effective for a 12 year old…

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

coalbunker, 42hrs.

😆

scaredypants

fertile style hair dryer treatment

bukkake bob, terror of the third form ?

ton

take your daughter to the home of the bullied child, and make her apologise infront of you and the other childs parents.

very effective.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Ha ha, fergie style, even. Damn iPad auto correct

brakes
    Free Member

negative situations should always be turned into a positive.
    ask for a cut of the profits she makes in dinner money – not so much that she doesn’t see the value in doing it anymore, but not so little than she doesn’t up her game.
    that or rub her face in it – that’ll learn her.

richpips
    Free Member

What has the school said on the matter?

sparkyrhino

ask for a cut of profits

thekingisdead
    Free Member

brakes – Member
    negative situations should always be turned into a positive.
    ask for a cut of the profits she makes in dinner money – not so much that she doesn’t see the value in doing it anymore, but not so little than she doesn’t up her game.

Gideon and CMD would be truely proud of such entrepreneurial zeal. Ever thought of running for office? 🙂

tomhoward

Cooler. Sree veeks….

bwaarp
    Free Member

Switch on the news, tell her the main headline is the result of bullying.

nickhart
    Free Member

Cetus +10
    Ton +100
    We had a situation with our daughter, not bullying but a six of one half a dozen of the other which was causing both parties grief. We went the ton route, got together with the parents and other child and sorted it out. Hard for all concerned but a life lesson for both girls.
    Going back to cletus’ friend, I see so many kids at work who know that one parent will fold under nagging pressure. It does no good at all in the long run.
    Good luck.

atlaz
    Free Member

Should also find out whether there’s a bigger picture. We had a kid in the year above at school who was bullied by a few of the lads in his own year so tried to bully people younger than him. Unluckily for him he wasn’t really tough enough to do that any more than he could stand up to his own peers. Unluckily for everyone else, by the age of 14 he carried a knife every day.

yossarian
    Free Member

Get the whole story before doing anything.

Also remember there is a genuine reason why kids bully other kids. It might not seem important to the adults but it is important to the child. Your intervention must also address the root cause, and its possible that something that you and your wife are doing is the cause, albeit inadvertently.

wwaswas

what yossarian said – don’t focus on the what but the why.

kayak23

take your daughter to the home of the bullied child

Personally I think that’s not such a good plan. The bullied child will tend to get a lot more stick, perhaps in different ways following that.
    Yup, coal bunker…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Firstly, bloody well done to the OP for being objective and big enough to realise it might be his child’s problem. Sounds like we (or you?) don’t have enough info to be offering much advice. Is it lots of incidents with different kids, in which case she might be getting a hard time herself? Or a few with the same kid? The school must have some idea of the overall picture. I’d get it from them first, and if it is one kid, maybe get in touch with his or her parents and see what they might like before marching yours round. You’ll probably have to find the truth somewhere in the middle of all the accounts you get. Good luck you, sounds like you’re doing the right thing.

MSP

My house tutor (9th dan black belt) way of dealing with bullies was to take them into his office (nee broom cupboard) and give them an un relenting fertile style hair dryer treatment. On more than one occasion the bullies would leave having pissed in their trousers, which would be an open secret in the school, having been started by the teacher.

Seems appropriate.

So an adult being an out of control bully is your cure for children being bullies, I hope to god you don’t have kids.

zokes
    Free Member

So an adult being an out of control bully is your cure for children being bullies, I hope to god you don’t have kids.

It has to be said that older generations will have had far worse from their teachers, and their peers, without too many signs of them being maladjusted.

yossarian
    Free Member

It has to be said that older generations will have had far worse from their teachers, and their peers, without too many signs of them being maladjusted.

apart from imposing the same approach on their own kids and other young people

MSP

LOL don’t believe the fantasy, the past is a false utopia that never existed. There has always been lots of bullying, crime and violence in society. Nothing much has changed really.

Their were notorious knife gangs in Manchester during the Victorian age, mods fought rockers on the beeches is the 60’s, teddy boys terrorised cafes in the 50’s. The 2nd world war was a crime spree that created the London crime gangs.

The daily mail pop larkin fantasy view of history just isn’t anywhere near true.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Wondered how long it’d take 🙂

(father of one, extremely laid back, mild mannered 8 yr old)

zokes
    Free Member

Nothing much has changed really.

And this is despite the cane, verbal ‘abuse’ etc being removed as disciplinary tools by teachers. Makes you wonder whether or not the modern approach is working…

K

He would have later been locked in his room whilst it was set alight, your bullys were obviously not good enough.

K

Wondered how long it’d take

Until he knifes someone?

kayak23

mods fought rockers on the beeches

Remarkably adept at climbing trees considering the tight leather jeans and tight suits…
    😀

wwaswas

[churchill voice]

We shall fight on the beeches, we shall fight on the playgrounds, we shall fight in the pubs and in the streets, we shall fight in William Hills.

[/churchill voice]

zokes
    Free Member

mods fought rockers on the beeches

These days they just fight on here

bigyinn
    Free Member

K – Member

Wondered how long it’d take

Until he knifes someone?
    Thats quite a leap from mild mannered son to knife wielding maniac. Do you read the Daily Mail every day?

MSP

Not quite as big a leap as suggesting screaming at a child until he/she wets herself as a solution, to then claiming to be a mild mannered dad. Which I think it might be a new variation of the Edinburgh defence.

TimothyD
    Free Member

MSP

”Not quite as big a leap as suggesting screaming at a child until he/she wets herself as a solution, to then claiming to be a mild mannered dad. Which I think it might be a new variation of the Edinburgh defence.”

It might just have been an off the cuff comment?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Have you tried weeing in her shoes.

Shirley this is the STW way.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m not a fan of authoritarianism. It does train kids to think about the consequences of what they do, but only in terms of if they are going to get caught and punished, i.e. what are the consequences FOR THEM.

Far better imo to train kids to think about the consequences for other people.

Ton’s approach is the best mentioned so far.

Why is bullying bad? Because it upsets other people, and this is bad. So why not make that clear to the kid concerned?

Discipline has a place sometimes – when your kid is just trying it on for example.

I did a spot of bullying when I was a kid, in a single incident. It was inadvertent though. The other kids started a rumour that this kid thought he could beat me up, and being a competitive type I challenged him. It never occurred to me that this was anything other than just normal schoolground stuff until I found out he had been to scared to come to school the following day. Once it was made clear to me what I’d actually done I was horrified.

surfer
    Free Member

As above make sure you get the facts.

My daughter was accused of bullying a friends little boy a few years back. They were in the same class.
    I gave my daughter a real hard time over and accepted our friends version of events. with hindsight I was far too hard on her and it turned out some weeks later when the boy accused somebody else then somebody else etc that he was doing the bullying.
    He would threaten each of the kids that he would tell parents teachers etc that they were bullying him thus intimidating and frightening them.
    I didnt listen to my daughter enough and I was to blame however my (ex) friend is a district judge so I wrongly placed too much trust in his version of events. To be fair it was the version his son had given him and I think they have other issues.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Dads net. Bullying when it's your own child doing the bullying.’ is closed to new replies.