• This topic has 38 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by PTR.
Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Dad's Garden (model) railway…..
  • marsdenman
    Free Member

I mentioned this many moons ago, one or two of you asked for a picture…

[/url]
    Ravenstone_Railway by chris1968, on Flickr[/img]

singletracksurfer

ha, my mates dad has got the HS2 going through his garden now, beat that.

Very impressive otherwise and much quieter 😉

rossi46
    Free Member

Wow! Beats the Hornby that iv’e set up for the kids.

That’s impressive…

marsdenman
    Free Member

stsurfer – you cannot make it out in that shot but the main railway line is at the end of the field – about 300mtrs away 🙂

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Thats ace!

edd

[Geek mode]Very cool, I like it a lot.[/Geek mode]

Have you got any more photos?

I like that.
    Looks like he’s got a lot of track in a small space.

thx1138
    Free Member

Impressive. Any closer up pics?

Does anyone make train sets without using those horribly twee ‘cottagey’ type buildings that seems to be all you can get for model trains? Something more modern and realistic. Mind you, I don’t think recreating Brimingham New Street in 1/78 scale is something most people would want to do. 😯

I don’t think recreating Brimingham New Street in 1/78 scale is something most people would want to do.

A 62 page thread on another forum 😀 The detail is amazing.

munrobiker
    Free Member

That is seriously cool. How does the track cope with all the weather conditions? Looks like 00 and I know mine fluffs up at a bit of dust, let alone rain.

That Birmingham New Street is impressive. At model railway exhibitions there’s always at least one relatively modern day set up. In fact, very few serious model sets have twee cottages (mine does. Two no less, although I am about to build a more realistic pub).

thx1138
    Free Member

A 62 page thread on another forum The detail is amazing.

😯

I thought ‘what’s the most unlikely scene a railway modeller would want to recreate’?

And then I discover some genius has gone and done exactly that. Stunning. I shall go home and study that thread in wonderment. 🙂

It’s almost impossible to believe that this is ‘just’ a model:

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Did NSE Class 50’s get as far as Birmingham New St?

Files that one for later – 62 pages of model train pron. Lovely…

Old wip pic of the one I’m build for my sons (me really). Progressing nicely now…

sircharles
    Free Member

Fantastic that!

And a great thread,we need more please.

Drac

Excellent, I love the models still but never bother with them any more.

totalshell

my old man has a model live steam quarry with trains cranes and a big buzz saw in the garden

Swelper
    Free Member

My Grandfather had a 5″ and 3.1/2″ live steam railway in his garden (Winchester). Loved spending my summer holidays there

njee20
    Free Member

My dad’s got a substantial G-scale layout in the garden. OO in the garage, N in the conservatory and HOm in his study!

I’m gradually enlarging my N gauge layout, to the despair of miss njee20!

The Birmingham New St layout is excellent – check out the layout pages on RMWeb.co.uk, plenty of stunning ones on there. Warren Lane is exceptional, and the detail on Banbury in N gauge is bloody impressive.

Harry_the_Spider

While you are at it check out this guy’s work.

http://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=56691

Cars though, not trains.

munrobiker
    Free Member

My next project (if my wife doesn’t throw me under a real train first) is going to my first proper detailed set. Starting simple with Whatley Quarry based around an ARC Class 59 I have-

project
    Free Member

Fantasic new street pics, just how i rember it it from trainspoting back when it was a hobby, not seen as some sort of terrorist activity

TuckerUK
    Free Member

As a nipper between the ages of 9 and 13, used to go to our local stations, buy a platform ticket, and train spot the hours away (just looking, didn’t take notes).

njee20
    Free Member

My next project (if my wife doesn’t throw me under a real train first) is going to my first proper detailed set. Starting simple with Whatley Quarry based around an ARC Class 59 I have-

Always liked ARC livery, and latterly Hanson. The model railway forums are full of inspiration! Model railway stuff gets more valuable in a very short space of time too, very odd when you’re used to bike stuff with no residual value!

LoCo
    Free Member

Excellent, now where the 7mm/1foot 009 tracked niche narrow gauged stuff? 😳

If you want super detailed stuff like the New Street one, google Roy Link stuff, bonkers even in the early 80’s

Pigface
    Free Member

That New Street layout is amazing

project
    Free Member

That New Street layout is amazing

and new street is a changing, the waiting rooms, at ends of platforms going as is the car park above, and all being redeveloped into a modern bright airy station, not a bunker.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Is it OK to be a bike nerd who likes trains? Or is that one nerd thing too far?

My wife even knew about my trains thing before she married me, so it must be sort of OK, right?

njee20
    Free Member

It seems there’s several in both camps, so I’d not worry!

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

We could start bikers and train geeks anonymous.

Hello. My name is Dave and I like riding bikes and playing with model trains. Don’t help me, I’m happy 🙂

nbt

I like stuff like this.

project
    Free Member

Westerns where the best, 2 maybachs echoing through new street platform 11, and down the lickey to cheltenham.

Great days.

Is it OK to be a bike nerd who likes trains?

[Smug git]My 80% off road, 12km commute* takes me through the Wyre Forest and crosses the Severn Valley Railway twice.[/Smug git]
    I ought to rent out my spare room for geek holidays.

*This is my standard short route. I can easily extend it up to 30km+, still mostly off road. 😛

sam69
    Free Member

love this thread,need to build my lads an indoor railway,were is the best place to start and look for ideas and help,has there are loads of forums but everybody seems to be pros at this and no new guys?

marsdenman
    Free Member

Here you go – not all taken by me.
    Dad has had a lifelong love of railways.
    This started as a 1-2 line project, basically to be a promotion tool as he looked to go into building Garden Railways as a bit of a business… He simply did not stop….

[/url]
    GardenRailwayApril10_web064 by chris1968, on Flickr[/img]

Edit – just checked – clicking the piccie takes you into Flickr, there is a set called Garden Railway.

Forgot to mention – a lot of stuff is scratch built, to scale – that red brick bridge, above – unable to track down details on it, dad had a drive out and, best he could, measured the thing. Forget what it’s called, or who built the original but, apparently ‘it could never work’ – the spans were thought to be long for such a low profile arch to support them…..

knottinbotswana
    Free Member

sam69: the forum that the New Street Epic Thread lives on is pretty good, and seems to have a wide range of abilities, my impression is that it is less elitist than rmweb and others, although I haven’t lurked on them to the extent I do on NRM.

The parent site of the New Railway Modellers Forum also has some good tutorial type pages.

…apparently ‘it could never work’ – the spans were thought to be long for such a low profile arch to support them…

I’ve heard the same story about Over Bridge, near Gloucester, although that’s a stone arch, so probably not the prototype for your dad’s model.
    There’s some great pictures in that album, marsdenman. I’d love to have the time, skill, money and patience to build a live steam O gauge railway in my garden.

P20

I’ve got a Hornby ATP. There can’t be many of those about

njee20
    Free Member

They’re semi-rare – there are quite a few people cutting up sets in order to make a complete 14 coach set, so they’re not exactly gold dust yet!

project
    Free Member

I’ve got a Hornby ATP. There can’t be many of those about

its an advanced passenger train, and one still in crew next to tesco at the heritage centre.

PTR
    Free Member

The brick bridge is one of Brunel’s. The longest flattest arches ever, at the time and still, as far as I know. On the Great Western, with the longest tunnel, the deepest cutting, the tallest bridge.
    You’ve got to wonder how he got the financial backing, I wonder how he would get on now, none of it ever done before, but lets get straight in and build the railway with record breaking designs

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Dad's Garden (model) railway…..’ is closed to new replies.