Dads can do *anything*

Home Forum Chat Forum Dads can do *anything*

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Dads can do *anything*
  • Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

I once spent my only free afternoon in Melbourne scouring every shop in town for the Elmo cuddly toy my 3 year old son had asked me to bring back for him. It’s a shame when they get older and start recognising that you might be fallible.

Not me but chapeau to this chap;

(via @thepoke)

Premier Icon Stoner
    Subscriber

Daddy, can you fix my Scooby-Doo pirate pleeeeeaaasseeeee? 🙁

[img]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-_AFz5y-d1zw/Ub7WK3wDQrI/AAAAAAAAGEM/MpGKBJTU0F4/s400/IMG_20130617_093206.jpg[/img]

My work here is done 🙂

globalti

Several of my fixes have required repairs to Gti Junior’s bike, he’s 15 today but still accident prone.

loddrik

That must make me the anti-dad then. Everything I try and fix I f&ck up.

Kevsterjw

araldite and gaffer tape fix all.

LoCo

8) 😉

However I was told by one of the little ones I ‘should run around more’ as I’m ‘quite large’ the other day 🙁

If you look at the pirate once his legs fixed he loses the grumpy face; you can even see the hint of a smile.

Freester

This morning I had a great send off today from my lad (he’s 3 in may). He asked me:

1) Why was I sitting down (I sat down to put my shoes on and tie my laces)
    2) Was I going to eat my yoghurt and brush my teeth (I already had)
    3) Would I like to take one of his toys to work with me (yes I would).

I’ve got his pride and joy Thomas the Tank Engine in my bag. He’ll get it back tonight. Fatherhood. Great innit?

twinw4ll

When my daughter was going to her school prom she was concerned that someone would have the same dress, so i said lets make one, so we went to Brum for the material and spent two sometimes fraught days constructing a strapless dress.
    It’s got to be one of my proudest moments, theres not many dads who can say they made their daughters prom dress.

Ambrose

Twinw4ll totally wins this. Superb.

Premier Icon jimmy
    Subscriber

Can this be a sticky? I need to read it often to reassure me that if it happens, it will be good.

meehaja

husband/dad/cyclist skills:

Wife complains pram is broken. It has a flat tyre, the wheels keep jamming and the grip is torn.

Puncture repair, strip/clean/repack wheel bearings, Bar tape = perfect pram. Boom.

It’s got to be one of my proudest moments, theres not many dads who can say they made their daughters prom dress.

And you could veto anything too low cut or short.
    Kudos.

Markie

Can this be a sticky? I need to read it often to reassure me that if it happens, it will be good.

It will be better than good.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJeTEPU18Q4[/video]

brakes

my two-year old’s favourite saying is “Daddy fixed it”

teddy falls over – easy
    broken lego – easy
    bars fell off scooter – easy
    honker fell off horn – easy

chewed up food then spat out… “Daddy fixed it”…. not so easy

globalti

I’ve found my limit though – Gti Junior built himself a quite powerful computer for gaming and was happy with it until it broke, something to do with a virus I believe, and he says he can’t mend it. Fixing computers for me consists of restarting them in vain hope so in that area at least, his skills have far exceeded mine. On bikes though he hasn’t caught up with me yet – had to show him how to change a frayed brake cable last night.

Marmoset

I’m wondering if it’s possible to set up some sort of monthly contract with loctite – I do seem to use an awful lot of their adhesive products since becoming a father.

Premier Icon senor j
    Subscriber

I am a god in our house due to my recent repair of L’il J’s xylophone….loctite to the rescue… 😀

Premier Icon theotherjonv
    Subscriber

JV presses the virtual like button on this thread.

JV dreads the day when his daughters find out that he can’t fix everything, and hopes that it isn’t anything too serious that he can’t fix.

globalti

Years ago when I was a batchelor living happily in Rossendale I had the reputation in my little close of houses as a bit of a bike repairer. Various children used to turn up at odd times with broken bikes and I remember one occasion when a small boy knocked on the door, sobbing his little heart out and surrounded by a squad of concerned-looking mates. His parents had given him a new bike and someone had borrowed it, jumped it and pretzled the rear wheel. As it happened I had a newish wheel the same size knocking around so I was able to tape the new rim alongside the old and transfer the spokes over and rebuild it, to the delight of the child. I bet he never told his Mum and Dad.

At present, Little Miss CFH is most pleased with her ability to say “Uh oh!” at every opportunity. Especially when knocking over the Duplo towers that I repeatedly build for her.

She’s utterly brilliant in every possible way! 🙂

Premier Icon epicyclo
    Subscriber

twinw4ll – Member

My daughter spurned my special effort for her first date with contempt.

Apparently she didn’t want a burka. 🙂

Love this thread.

I work overseas 8 weeks on 4 weeks off, so when I get home there’s a pile of broken toys on “Daddy’s shelf” for me to fix. He won’t let his Mum do it as “Daddy is best at fixing”.

An evening of battery replacement, gluing, plastic melting, bolting and screwing and I have one happy 4 year old. His beaming face, a heartfelt thank you and a kiss when he get’s back a Buzz Lightyear with fixed wings is one of the best bits of this parenting lark.

crankboy

Cranbrat often greets me at the door on an evening holding out a broken car with the words “daddy fix it “.
    My powers were truely tested by a broken washing machine in a holiday cottage. A solemn little 2 year old starring at my efforts and offering the opinion “I think it needs new batteries ” by luck a random jiggle of the door catch brought the beast back to life an my status remains intact for now.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Dads can do *anything*’ is closed to new replies.