Viewing 30 posts - 81 through 110 (of 110 total)
  • Dad, what was it like in the 90’s?
  • scratch
    Free Member

Gigs were far to few in the 90’s for me, living in the sticks and not driving meant you had to get the ticket and the associated bus ticket at the same time!
    I remember Reef at Derby assembly rooms, I think a mate drove maybe, Cable and Travis supported, Cable were really good, I thought they’d go quite far tbh
    Blur at the NEC, Beasties at the NEC, had tickets for Greenday in Wolverhampton but they cancelled for some reason, Offspring at Rock City.

Oasis at Knebworth was alright, at the time of the ticket sale I don’t think the support were confirmed, I got lucky and picked the Saturday which had the Chems and Prodigy, my mate went on the Sunday and had to put up with Kula Shaker

I worked in a record shop at the time and used to get gig tickets for free, I remember having tickets to see Coal Chamber at Rock City, the same night another mate wanted to go to some rave night in the middle of Lincolnshire somewhere, decision kind of tracked my into dance and a late 90’s of Passion, Gatecrasher, Gods Kitchen, Sundisential club nights, never did go back to metal after that.

binners
    egb81
    Free Member

@Scratch Cable were a great band. Never saw them live but When Animals Attack and Sublingual were amazing albums.

sandboy

I’d completely forgotten about Dog eat Dog!! What great times.

welshfarmer

It was 1995 and the 2nd Big Chill (and the first outside of London) took place here on our farm as a completely secret event. Apparently it was a fantastic festival. Unfortunately I was living in Germany at the time 🙁

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06kgvc6

Edukator
    Free Member

Junior knows more about the 90s than dad for whom the 90s is new stuff.

For me the 90s meant bigger venues with artists so far away they had to show them on screens and the sound was shit with a bizarre delay from what appeared on the screens. I vowed never to go to a venue with more than a few hundred again and haven’t.

a11y

Prodigy (supported by Foo Fighters) in Glasgow in the late 90s, and I actually remember it. They opened with this, it’s still the most I’ve ‘felt’ sound shaking my innards when the bass kicked in:

binners

‘Back to the 90’s’ day on 6 Music today folks. They’ve played some absolute blinders already

Looks like its going to be one of those days..

jaminb
    Free Member

Loving Lauren this morning

kelvin

Followed by a 90s mix by ACR…

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0013tsy

I’ll be playing this one more than once.

finbar
    Free Member

Prodigy (supported by Foo Fighters) in Glasgow in the late 90s, and I actually remember it. They opened with this, it’s still the most I’ve ‘felt’ sound shaking my innards when the bass kicked in:

I am now caning this at full volume while I work 😀

sirromj

Back to the 90’s’ day on 6 Music today folks.

Enjoying this. Haven’t heard half of it before! 90’s was a strange time for me, the beginning, middle, and end are three very different times of my life…. going from age 15 to 25.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

the beginning, middle, and end are three very different times of my life

Pretty much this.

In terms of music/culture, the best period was arguably at the beginning, including the bit before in the late eighties! Fresh and exciting, by the end of the decade the seeds had been sown for the corporate product culture we have now. Everything is sponsored by insert corporate company name. Selling out is no longer a thing, backhanders are fronthanders, there’s no shame in being a shill after all who wants to be poor right. If you went abroad other countries were so distinct, you see all the same chains and fashions now!

The 90’s was a very violent time. Some town centres were dangerous places to be at night. Nightclubs and pubs could turn into all out war, bouncers beating people to a cabbage and threating the families afterwards was common, cars got nicked for fun. I witnessed some very disturbing things which are much harder to get away with now!

matt_outandabout

They (Prodigy) opened with this, it’s still the most I’ve ‘felt’ sound shaking my innards when the bass kicked in:

Mrs_oab and I travelled in Canada in late 90’s. The minibus with us backpackers in had huge sound system – both of us remember rolling into Kamloops at sunset while that bass moved the roof above us, ensuring half of Western Canada heard… The pub that night was fun.

csb

Someone posted the Beastie Boys. I was at this and 17 year old me was in shock for the rest of the decade.

csb

Just played the above to my 9 year old daughter and she was horrified.

reeksy

Thanks for sharing that @kelvin

I remember the first time i heard that Air song on a Uni summer holiday at a low-key BBQ at a mate who’s now got two kids and advanced MS.

I also remember a mate playing me the Chem Bros song when the album was released. He died a few years ago… probably as a result 90s behaviours.

I was in this video in the background somewhere. Needless to say after a night of hearing it over and over again, it didn’t ever become a fave.

Being at this was pretty special. Actually turned me on to Bowie…

BoardinBob

Couple of great videos from Rick Beato on the 90s rock stuff

p7eaven
    Free Member

Things I remember about the 90s

-The birth of the term ‘consumer’ used to describe you/us

-‘Being ironic (saying the opposite to what you mean) becoming more widespread. Also the birth of hyper-irony and meta-layers of pseudo-irony. ie people weren’t sure if South Park was obscenely racist or obscenely ‘knowing’ or just some kind of abstract art. It was funny though. Beavis and Buthhead. Hur hurrr.

-Glastonbury Performing Arts Festival transitioning from the ‘then’ to the ‘now’.

1989 I first remember walking up the old disused railway track into the festival. No fences, just the greenfields and the vibe. An incredibly relaxed and friendly, naive vibe. The main stage was the Waterboys and The Wonderstuff and Van Morrison. Tickets were £28. I worked there for Greenpeace. We had to recycle a handful of tents. Litter was becoming a bigger problem yet was mostly just cups and fag ends.

The daytime take-home vibe:

FFWD to five years later

1990s the 12 mile ring-fence and no-man’s land was raised along with security in 4x4s and baseball bats. Manchester, Liverpool and London was descending on Pilton, early 90s when Glastonbury ‘grew’ from a hippie/green/sustainable technology and performing arts festival into something more like a pop-up Blade-Runner/Mad-Max scenario for posers and drug-pushers with new stage-spaces sponsored by multinational breweries.

1994 The faux-revolution will now be televised. For the first time and by Ch4. The main stage was now Rage Against The Machine and the Beastie Boys. Paul Weller playing live to Glastonbury’s first gun-victims as it happened. I also witnessed leaving ‘new age travellers’ being beaten with baseball bats on the Monday morning. Allegedly for destroying a piece of hedgerow with one of their vehicles. The running ‘battle’ (basically kids being beaten) unfurled in front of us in the camp ground. I heard one young man’s ribs cracking as he was beaten down into the grass in the bright sunshine by a gang of city-gents with their baseball bats in black combat-gear. I asked a watching copper what the f was happening. He smirked ‘looks like there’s going to be a fight dunnit?’.

Tickets had doubled in price in 5 years. Now £59. Next year will be £65, the year after £75, you could see where this is heading, and fast.

The (new) daytime (sic, sic, sic) take-home vibe had arrived:

Everything in the world was becoming bigger yet somehow lesser, more diverse yet more corporate, faster and yet more frustrating, more connected (thumbs across the world SMS) and yet more disconnecting.

The 1990s bowed out with the growth of AOL and Nokia. We were still just about managing to have real meaningful social lives before something named ‘social media’ was to (permanently?) take the stage and finally obliterate what little remained of a pre-ironic, pre-corporate, pre-consumerist society. ‘Our space’ outdoors was soon to become MySpace indoors.

johnx2
    Free Member

-Glastonbury Performing Arts Festival transitioning from the ‘then’ to the ‘now’.

In the 80s it was basically just turn up, but I’d rather see New Order or whatever in a proper venue thanks. Even ’92 (someone mentioned Orbital) it was just “shall we go?” the week before, tickets on the holloway road which had sat in the record shop windows for weeks, meet up with friends who’d hopped over the new fence.

But actually the night time vibe was heavyish in places (groups of scalls uprooting and running off with tents + contents; trees and bushes being pulled down for burning. Not major but not great to see and these were not folks you’d particularly want to interrupt). By ’97 (ChemBros) with the big fence (though friends were still hopping over) I was there with kids and it was feeling very middle class safe.

p7eaven
    Free Member

In the 90s, boring old persons with rose-tinted spectacles had no real public platform on which to post rose-tinted photos 😉 They’d instead have to turn up to the pub with an envelope full of ‘Supasnaps’ 5×7 photo-prints, before accidentally spilling their film-negatives over the beer-sodden pub-table before realising that voluntarily sharing personal photos in public spaces was anyway considered somewhat naff and possibly a sign of ‘issues’.

Now we’re mostly anonymous, and rather than going to the pub with old friends we instead post digitally-enhanced pics of our dogs and dinners for the enjoyment or otherwise of similarly anonymous strangers! 😎

tayls
    Free Member

A wonderful book i found last year, Mostyn thomas and the big rave, reviewed here-
    INFLUENCES Rave Culture by RICHARD WILLIAMS – Reader Dad – Book Reviews.htm
    It was of special interest to me as i played with party tribe throughout the 90`s,including the event this book is based on, still have ye olde cassette tape of it.

vinnyeh

This bloke’s still living it..

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

being beaten with baseball bats

Are yes, baseball the next American craze to sweep the nation…………Or so they thought, until someone pointed out the millions of bats sold compared to the nonexistent sales of catchers mitts and balls!

johnnymarone
    Free Member

**** brilliant.
    Saw Pantera and Megadeth in Newport, back in Panteras heyday. Cost me about £12 I think.
    Saw Suicidal Tendencies in Newport too, again about £12.
    All the legendary metal bands renowned for their live shows toured regularly and fairly locally to me for a cover charge of not much money at all, i could afford them on paper round money.
    Nowadays even the most mediocre bands are charging £25 plus, or so it seems, and possibly only do 3 dates in the UK, usually London , Birmingham or Glasgow.
    I miss the 90s, they were so much more fun.

frankconway

To answer the question – no idea as I was too busy working to support family.
    Ask me about the 1970’s.

johnnymarone
    Free Member

@a11y,
    I saw them on that tour too, Cardiff though. Foo fighters were opening band, Grohl still had his funny little bowlcut and they had 2 drum kits.
    Main support was a German break dancing crew , they were great.
    And they played the video (the banned one) to smack my bitch up on a big screen. I remember feeling the bass in my lungs . Great gig.

BoardinBob

From hazy memories, back in the 90s I saw

Terrorvision
    Reef
    Slayer
    Pantera
    The Almighty
    Corrosion of conformity
    Soundgarden
    PJ Harvey
    Metallica
    Guns n Roses
    Megadeth
    Sepultura
    Therapy
    Alice in Chains
    Stone Temple Pilots

Also did the dad rock stuff with my dad that I can remember

Eric Clapton (worst concert of all time)
    Yes
    Plant & Page (twice)
    Jackson Browne
    Neil Young
    Steve Howe
    Rick Wakeman
    The Eagles
    John Martyn

Special mention to Nirvana who I had tickets for then Kurt killed himself

Cougar

Saw Pantera and Megadeth in Newport, back in Panteras heyday. Cost me about £12 I think. Saw Suicidal Tendencies in Newport too, again about £12.

Nowadays even the most mediocre bands are charging £25 plus, or so it seems

😁

Ticket prices have soared though, and as someone else said earlier they’re much harder to get thanks to scalping Internet bots. A 2022 ticket for Download plus boggo camping will set you back £260, if you want an actual night’s sleep away from the slutch and scrotes you can double that. What’s a headline band these days, £60? More?

I love live music, but when an evening out for me and my partner is circling £200 (tickets, travel, a couple of drinks and a dirty burger) there’s likely a better spend of that money.

slowoldman

Glastonbury? Pfft. I did the Buxton Pop Festival on Axe Edge in the 70s. Bloody freezing.

Viewing 30 posts - 81 through 110 (of 110 total)

The topic ‘Dad, what was it like in the 90’s?’ is closed to new replies.