Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 110 total)
  • Dad, what was it like in the 90’s?
  • scratch
    Free Member

Has to be the best live version I’ve seen, I must have just watched this about 10 times just now, I can’t remember a live set with this much energy for ages, love the way Money Mark hammers that note on the keys, MCA uses up a lot of cool credit.

No son, there was no HD back then, everything looked like that.

Anyone got a vid that’ll stack up against that energy?

Caher

Great era for music.

easily
    Free Member

I saw the beasties supported by Public Enemy – one of the best gigs I’ve ever been to (the best was Trouble Funk).

Live performance with a lot of energy – Talking Heads:

the-muffin-man

scratch
    Free Member

There was a lot of absolute dross back then like Barbie Girl and whatnot but the good and bad seemed further apart, not just a middle ground of everyone trying to get on a Spotify playlist maybe

I only got to see the BBs once at NEC on the Intergalactic tour, even a good few records in they were still pushing out good stuff

Drac

A blur. (No pun)

slowoldman

Well you’re right about the lack of HD in the 90s. From 1999:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqAJcBh3sEQ

bigdean

This screams mid 90’s

tomhoward

absolute dross back then like Barbie Girl

5th highest selling record of the decade…

Robson & Jerome were 3rd.

RustyNissanPrairie

Yeah Beastie Boys were great live – their Netflix documentary is a good watch.

Best 90’s gig for me was RATM first album at Manchester Ritz – the sprung wooden floor coupled with Killing in the name and people slamming from the balcony above was absolute brilliant carnage.

qwerty
    Free Member

Twas ecstatic.

jimdubleyou

Nothing will beat the energy of Gina G playing the Uni Engineers Ball 1995 🤣

stingmered

Daft Punk in 1997 Newcastle and then 2007 in Inverness. Off the f’kin scale.

ta11pau1

Also

Fred Durst, Actual lighters in the crowd when everyone smoked and phones didn’t take pictures let alone video!

stingmered

Daft Punk in 1997 Newcastle and then 2007 in Rockness. Off the f’kin scale.

SSS
    Free Member

The ’80s were better

scratch
    Free Member

Would have loved to have seen Daft Punk

Kuco

90’s for me was Faith no More. Remember seeing Limp Bizkit as a support group and coming on stage playing George Michael Faith, lots of plastic bottles and cups went flying towards the stage till it got going.

llama

90s are back:

scratch
    Free Member

Remember seeing Travis as the third support band to Reef once, they were bloody awful…

MSP

Well son, I went for a night out in 1989, then woke up in 2000, what happened in between **** knows, but I think there was some good music and industrial grade mdma, and at some point I have faint recollections of being a gurning champion.

tjagain

BillMC

Blimey, I thought that Beastie Boys tape was completely lightweight and not compensated for by the turkey trousers. It must be old age.

revs1972
    Free Member

Gave me son and his 15 year old crew a lift back from the skatepark this evening, I managed to get in the following on the playlist…….. at high volume 😄

Praise you ( Fatboy slim)
    Smack my bitch up ( Prodigy)
    Born slippy ( Nuxx)
    Insomnia (faithless)

Better than that drillshite they listen to these days 😂

sillyoldman

Any Jesus Lizard gig.

jamiemcf

This lot should inspire my drive to work tonight.

I’ve always liked a bit of Placebo. Their recent work just takes me back to being 16. Every you every me is still a belter for the van on a night shift

PJM1974
    Free Member

I grew up fifteen miles up the road from Braintree Barn, host to Essex acts like The Prodigy, Sunscreem and The Shamen etc. In the summer of 1991, the Prodigy made an appearance at my local fleapit club, your’s truly ended up dancing on top of a speaker, sans shirt with a whistle in my mouth.

How I didn’t get thrown out of the place I’ll never know.

captmorgan
    Free Member

It were wicked son…

lister

The Prodigy @ Leeds Town and Country in 95.
    Massive conical strobes either side of the stage that flashed out of sequence with each other then Keith ran on stage in a giant hamster ball.
    I left a bit of my brain there.

razorrazoo

I’ll go with this one, only for Kris Novoselic not being able to catch his bass at the end

pandhandj
    Free Member

@MSP

Well son, I went for a night out in 1989, then woke up in 2000, what happened in between **** knows, but I think there was some good music and industrial grade mdma, and at some point I have faint recollections of being a gurning champion.

If you can remember the 90’s, you weren’t there…🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

b230ftw
    Free Member

Strung Out at a punk pub in Leeds (can’t remember the name of the pub).
    Voodoo Glow Skulls in Manchester (can’t remember the venue).

gallowayboy
    sirromj

binners

I left a bit of my brain there.

I liberally distributed bits of my brain in clubs, festivals and venues all over the country during the course of the 90’s. It was absolutely bloody brilliant!

My 17 year is daughter is insanely jealous of us lucky bastards who got to indulge ourselves through that particular decade

What a time to be alive 😃

woody2000

I remember very little from approximately 1989 to somewhere in the region of 2001.  Give or take.

kayak23

Daddy? Yes son? What does regret mean?

Good times 😊

ChrisL

It may not be from the ’90s but this was also a Letterman performance and is doing pretty well on the energy levels front too:

Despite the ’90s probably being my formative decade for music too, it seems my brain is coming up with more recent suggestions for high energy performances. Having seen them perform this live myself I can confirm that the amount of energy coming from Broken Social Scene when they do this song is pretty amazing:

Craig Finn brings a unique sort of energy to The Hold Steady’s performances:

zippykona

Bullet Lavolta. Should have been bigger than nirvana.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 110 total)

The topic ‘Dad, what was it like in the 90’s?’ is closed to new replies.