Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Dad-builds ….what’s the 20” folding tyre of choice?
  • cjr61

Looking for something lightweight like a rocket Ron just not at £59.99 for a 20” tyre!

Something XC/Trail orientated please.

Any recommendations?

Cheers
    Chris

chiefgrooveguru

I’ve got a pair of those Islabike tyres you can have for a nominal amount. I put Little Joe’s on that bike but I’m not sure if you can get them now.

BillOddie

<div class=”manufacturer”>Schwalbe</div>
    Rocket Ron Evo Super Race 20×2.25″ Addix Speed TLE Folding Tyre at Bike-discount for £30 an end, £155 minimum order though.

richmtb

Anyone had any joy with 20″ tyres and getting them set up tubeless.

My daughter’s Orbea actually came with tubeless tape installed but the Kenda SB8s are way too baggy to go up tubeless

northernmatt

Those Islabike ones look like the Kenda Small Block 8 they used to fit as standard but a bit narrower. I put Continental Explorers on when the boy had a Beinn20 although I don’t think they are folding bead. Looks like those Decathlon ones aren’t folding either.

Shackleton

@richmtb can you wrap some more tape around to build the bed up?

cjr61

Thanks all. I’ve got a pair of wire bead small block 8’s but wanted to see about something slightly knobblier.

Isla ones look pretty similar to SB8’s….

Little Joe’s may work?

bigginge

I’ve stuck the continental explorers on our littleginge’s 20″ bike after spending a bit of time seeing what else is out there. The Rocket Rons would probably have been my 1st choice if they hadn’t been so ridiculously expensive as they are ~100g lighter and probably compare reasonably well in terms of volume/grip.

The only other ones that I found that looked like they had considerably more aggressive off road tread patterns were the crown gem and flow snap from Vee. However, they are all pretty hefty and not easy to find in stock anywhere the last time I tried looking (they do have folding and/or tubeless options in there though)

Looks like the 20 x 2.4 tubless flow snap tyres are in stock at amazon, nearly £40 each though:

20x 2.4 Vee Flow Snap

schmiken

Schwalbe Little Joe – 1.5 rear and 2.0 front for my 6 year old. Lightweight and roll nicely too. Remember light inner tubes can drop crazy amounts of weight too!

steve_b77
    Free Member

Schwalbe black shark, wouldn’t bother about folding IMHO

cjr61

Thanks all. Some good leads!

Am I being naive in looking for folders only then? Had assumed tubeless was the way to go?

BenjiM

I would think you’re making a rod for your own back for the length of time they’ll be using the bike for. My daughters not had a puncture yet on any of her bikes and not set up tubeless, including running lower pressures. That includes racing CX and riding off road on small block 8’s. Unless of course you live in a particularly thorny area of course!

cjr61

Thanks @BenjiM maybe a reality check there.

cjr61

I got off the fence and got these:

https://fawkes-cycles.co.uk/continental-cross-king-rigid-tyre-black-black-20-inch-p21480

Always been a conti fan.

Stay well

dc1988

I bought my nephew Schwalbe Blackjack for his bike, they’ve got enough tread for some extra grip but not so much that they’re too draggy. The only issue I found is nowhere seemed to have a proper picture of them, Schwalbe seem to use computer generated ones which I find annoying

steamtb

I use the standard tyres that came with our Hellion 20; VEE CROWN GEM SKINWALL 20×2.25″, 72TPI FOLDING.

They are bizarrely good. Took about 10 mins each to set up tubeless, have saved more than 20 puncture repairs, roll well enough that my daughter can happily cover more than 25 miles and appear to offer pretty epic grip even in really wet and slippy conditions. Although on the last point, my daughter is probably a lot more naturally skilful than me, but still. Onto our second set now and I will get another set when I get her a 24 later this year 🙂

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Dad-builds ….what’s the 20” folding tyre of choice?’ is closed to new replies.