• This topic has 17 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by ton.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Dad and lad road trip….. suggestions please.
  • MoreCashThanDash

So next summer MrsMc and LittleMissMC will spend a week away in Ireland, leaving MCJnr and I home alone to fend for ourselves.

He will be just turned 14, so I fear the default “coke and hookers” option would be unwise.

Wondering about taking him on a trail centre road trip. He takes after his father and prefers wheels on the ground, flowing scenic riding to anything too rocky and technical, but we’ve ridden the blues at Kirroughtree, Glentrool, Glentress and Follow the Dog, which he’s enjoyed.

We’ve never done any of the Welsh trail centres, but we both love the Stanes and would happily go back to ones we’ve ridden and try a few we haven’t got to yet.

So, suggestions please for a Monday to Friday week away to Wales or Scotland, using cheap bunkhouse/hostel/Travelodge accommodation, to get some nice trails done together. Before he gets too quick for me…..

Starting from the Midlands, so could possibly look to get a trail centre in on the way too and from as well, perhaps.

Inspire me – and him, more importantly – with a Baldrick-esque Cunning Plan!

scotroutes

Why a trail centre? You could spend a few days in and around the likes of Aviemore doing “blue/green” graded stuff. It’s certainly scenic. Lots of accommodation options and things to do if you fancy a day off the bike.

ton

did all the stanes with my son before he was 16. over 2 seperate weeks.
    also did a week based in courcheval with him, using the lifts.

i liked the stanes, he enjoyed the lift assisted stuff more.

good memories.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’d be thinking more along the lines of the Highland 500, or some such week long adventure. Forget trail centres and go explore the wide open spaces in the UK neither of you have been too.

Plenty of advice would come your way should you change your trail centric limitations..

garage-dweller

I’d have thought from the description coed y brenin, afan and cwm carn would give you a week’s worth.
    We’ve camped at pen y fan caravan park for cwm carn before, which had a bar on site ans pretty decent amenities. Its been a few years but it looks like the site has been upgraded a fair bit from a quick web check.
    Coed y brenin there are the cabins not far down the road and again pub on site.
    Afan I’ve only ever done a hotel at Bridgend or some awful cabins. The latter I really cannot recommend at all.

garage-dweller

As others have said though trail centres not the be all and end all.

Also will he want a solid five days riding or some kind of other activity thrown in as that might affect things?

MoreCashThanDash

He’s never really shown an interest in “non trail centre” riding when we’ve been away, and I’ve not done much of it since he came along to be honest, so I just defaulted to the easy option when I started thinking.

I’d have to have a think how much distance and climbing he could cope with if we were looking at natural routes. He’s not particularly fit or sporty, just likes (is used to) riding his bike without having to navigate.

No reason why a day or two of natural riding couldn’t be included.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ah, clearly you know him well, we do not.. sorry, should have thought about that.

Ok, trail centres say 3 days, free riding the other two.. perhaps link/loop around South Wales.. lovely place, a few centres there and some great open trails.. plenty of accommodation too.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Sunday – Travel to Kielder in morning and ride a bit in afternoon

Monday – Travel to Peebeles in morning, Glentress in afternoon.

Tuesday – Gypsy glen in morning, travel to Comrie croft and have a lap or 2 of the blue, stay in bunkhouse.

Wednesday – Travel to Glenlivet in the morning, lap of Red and Blue (in that order), short transfer to Aviemore.

Thursday – Either a day off the bike playing tourist, a natural ride, or head down to Witches Trails at Nevis range.

Friday – Travel to Mabie in the morning (long transfer, sorry), ride trails and stay in glamping pods.

Saturday – Travel to lake district first thing and either ride or do the via ferrata at Honister slate mine, travel home after.

ianfitz
    Free Member

If you end up at coed y Brennin the new (ish) blue – minotaur? is a fantastically swoops blue trail.

BigJohn

Hawkshead and Coniston are both good for an extended trip. There are plenty of other things to do, plenty of places to stay and you have the NFT very close with loads of natural trails that can be joined onto it.

MoreCashThanDash

Thanks for the ideas, will look into accommodation and see which suggestion attracts the most positive sounding teenage grunts!

larkim
    Free Member

Lake district on the way up to Scotland? As a one off, Helvellyn comes into play (did that with 15 year old, he’s fit and capable, I’m not!), and the trail centres at Whinlatter and Grizedale are on the doorstep. Could be v. busy in the summer though.

ton

can I add 1 thing.

trail centers are fun, teenage boys want fun.
    trudging over a soggy mountainside is not fun to teenage boys…….trust me I have tried this with my son.

jekkyl

lol, Op says he wants trail centres…. every poster says trails are rubbish do natural including actual mountains.
    I think a Wales trail centre only trip would be great fun. Start at North wales, Degla ont way over then CyB or marin and penmachno then head down south, defo book a day at BpW, best fun with next to no climbing.

fifeandy
    Free Member

lol, Op says he wants trail centres…. every poster says trails are rubbish do natural including actual mountains.

Sorry, I thought 6 different trail centres in 7 days wasn’t a bad effort, i’ll try harder next time 🙄

jekkyl

ok almost every poster… 🙂

ton

😆

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Dad and lad road trip….. suggestions please.’ is closed to new replies.