• This topic has 64 replies, 39 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by nbt.
Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • Dad advice… Daughters first kiss.
  • johndoh
    Free Member

Speaking of girls and TikTok. Are we being horrible parents by not allowing our 10 yr olds to use it? All their friends have it apparently.

kilo

I know little about TikTok , or kids, but my colleagues a few desks away who deal with proper horrible on line nonces seem to mention it frequently so I would suggest it’s not ideal for 10 year olds.

Cougar

Well, TikTok’s terms of service state 12+. Though I don’t think they do any policing to enforce it.

thegreatape
    Free Member

You know my real first name, I think very few know my surname.

You posted a picture of yourself in the mugshots thread years ago, which is how we all know that your full name is Alan Rickman.

Cougar, in his Sunday best.

razorrazoo

Speaking of girls and TikTok. Are we being horrible parents by not allowing our 10 yr olds to use it? All their friends have it apparently.

I think you’ll find ‘all’ their friends is a bit misleading. This is the usuals kids hustle to get parents to recent. ‘All’ my 11 year olds (year 6) friends have phones, until you ask her to name them. I’m a horrible
    parent because of this.

I haven’t been begged for TikTok yet so assume it’s not common on her class.

Cougar

You posted a picture of yourself in the mugshots thread years ago, which is how we all know that your full name is Alan Rickman.

Hah! You’re the second person to say that to me today, only it was Hans Gruber (I had my hair chopped last week).

P-Jay
    Free Member

No.

TikTok is the Devil.

And yes, Teenagers of all genders (how woke am I!) make videos you’d expect to see advertising a Poll Dancing club. They like it because the videos disappear after a short while and by and large parents don’t use or understand it. I don’t know if there is a TikTok moderation team but if there is they’re alseep the on the job.

Before anyone asks, I know because we monitor our teenagers phone from time to time.

gnusmas

First proper kiss at 15.

Liberty is 7 and she has had the same boyfriend for the past 3 years so it must be serious lol. I have told her she’s not allowed a boyfriend when she’s older til she’s 29 so we’ll see how that works out.

I think nearly everyone here knows my first and last name by now.

DickBarton

I always thought it was Hunter…

I’ve clearly done something wrong…as mine was growing up I’d mention that I was needing to put a rack at the front door so I could hang my axes and saws (for trailbuilding). I’d also mention that it would mean anyone coming to the door would see them all. I never got round to it though.

She then went in to nursery and told everyone that if they visited her house they have to go past a load of axes…

Even now – 7 years on – none of the boys in her class speak to me or come near to us (if I’m in the playground doing school drop-off – but they seem to chat to all the other parents!)…I’m putting it down as a win, but suspect it is all an act and there is plenty chat between all the boys and girls in her year…

I’m kind of hoping she’ll tell me but I’m expecting not to know…she is sensible and we chat about everything so we’ll see what happens. If she hasn’t mentioned anything by the time she is 14 then I’ll assume she has decided not to tell me!

SaxonRider

I’d never heard of it until this thread, and I’ve got a few kids around the target age.

If they ask, the answer will be no.

funkmasterp

Just checking, by Tik Tok I take it you’re all on about this fella?

He’s got form for hanging out with young girls. The fat, shiny bastard. Look at him, hiding in the bushes

bigbmx
    Free Member

twonks

Back to the OP for a few words. I wouldn’t worry, at least you have a good enough relationship that she told you = assuming it was a passing comment and not given under 3 hours of interrogation 😀

My motto with kids (both girls) was to let them know I will always be there for them no matter what and will not judge, then give them enough rope and be there to pick up the pieces.

Seems to have worked well although the ‘dodgy burger’ incident when I picked the eldest up at midnight from a strange warehouse of loud music was rather hilarious. She was 15 and clearly totally battered. Still had the thought to call me to get her though, which was nice.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Pregnant next week.

Sandwich

Don’t ask me I do not know what normal is for a teenage girl. (Mine will be 30 the end of next month and no she was not a normal teenager).

OP you may need to run the Lock, Stock. . . scene in the plastic lined room and find some pigs. Apparently quicklime isn’t where it’s at these days.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Mine is 7 and declared that she and a boy from her class were going to kiss in the playground after lunch but ended up finding something else to do. He’s her boyfriend apparantly. What the hell else do you do but nod and smile? I think that was only a couple of weeks after telling us she was kissing one of the girls in her class.

Seems to have worked well although the ‘dodgy burger’ incident when I picked the eldest up at midnight from a strange warehouse of loud music was rather hilarious. She was 15 and clearly totally battered. Still had the thought to call me to get her though, which was nice.

I’d call that a win.

infidel
    Free Member

TikTok et al are the devils work for kids…

simon sinek speaks wisdom

bigyan
    Free Member

bigyan
    Free Member

Is 12 about first year of high school? If so seems normal to me.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Hah! You’re the second person to say that to me today, only it was Hans Gruber (I had my hair chopped last week).

Shame, the longer hair is most dashing on you 🙁

Scapegoat

OP you may need to run the Lock, Stock. . . scene in the plastic lined room and find some pigs.

Snatch……

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Every father of a teenage girl has to deal with the fact that one day she will open her legs and fly away…

Bunnyhop

Obviously I’m not a father so can’t offer real advice but I once was the age of your daughter.

12.5 does seem young to me. At that age I absolutely loved, lived and breathed horses, so had no interest in boys.

You’ve done the correct thing in staying calm and not making a ‘thing’ of it.

It’s such a shame that children of today are growing up too quickly, when they have decades ahead of them to be adult. Oh well.

Oh and I really do know who you are (wink).

bunnyhop x

nbt

Looks like you have it fairly easy Blackflag – one of the lads at work here is telling me about his 12 year old step daighter. Having come out as pansexual a few months ago (which on a positive note seemed to relieve much stress and tension), last night she started asking her mum about polyamorous relationships…

Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Dad advice… Daughters first kiss.’ is closed to new replies.