Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • D-Lock snapped key woes
  • johnh259
    Free Member

A good friend and keen cyclist suggested I crowd source the solution to a little problem I’m currently having here, as you’re such a bunch of helpful peeps so signed up and here I am.

The other day the key snapped down in my Abus d-lock and it’s currently marooned attached to my bike at the local railway station.

So far it’s proved resistant to both hack saw, bolt cutters and it doesn’t look like there’s really much way of retrieving the half key lodged in there.

Hiring a portable Angle grinder or trying to pop it off via a car jack would seem to be the best options.

But any further suggestions much appreciated! Currently tearing what little hair I have left out.

Ta!

murf
    Free Member

Battery powered makita angle grinder.
    Boom!

stoffel
    Free Member

Abus? good luck with that. They’re the toughest locks out there! I know that when I thought I’d lost my key, a set of 36″ bolt cutters did nothing but dmage the rubber coating. 😯

Time and lots of violence with an angle gridner i’d say. I wouldn’t risk buggering up a car jack!

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Thermite

murf
    Free Member

Or a car battery, inverter and mains voltage grinder?
    Where is it stranded? I’ve got a grinder if your anywhere near?

wombat

Superglue the bit of the key that you still have to the bit that’s stuck in the lock.

Then twist the key gently…

Murray

Angle grinder with cutting disk is the way to go. Try to stop the hot sparks (molten metal) hitting anything you’re concenered about like the frame, your eyes and your skin!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Tungsten carbide hacksaw blade.

stoffel
    Free Member

Tungsten carbide hacksaw blade.

Even that will take **** ages. Grinder is best method, as the high rpm wil b necessary to get through the steel. You might need more than one disc though.

shuhockey
    Free Member

Whatever you do. Video proof required

johnh259
    Free Member

Thanks all for the suggestion, though not sure whether I can lay my hands on Thermite or C4 too easily 😉 did consider spotting some super glue on the key, but it looks pretty hard.

One of these boys would be ideal:

Murf, I’m in Watford if you’re in the same area? I guess I might be able to persuade the station to lend me some electricity if I ask nicely, I’ve got proof of purchase to hand too so they might be sympathetic.

ninfan
    Free Member

Crate of beer and local fire station 😀

PiknMix
    Free Member

Superglue the bit of the key that you still have to the bit that’s stuck in the lock.
    Then twist the key gently…

This but don’t twist the broken key, pull it out and use your spare to unlock. Don’t wait for the glue to fully set or it will be glued solid.

cynic-al
    Free Member

TC hacksaw blade taken 5-10 minutes on the numerous times I’ve used one.

EDIT have people even used superglue? It sets rapidly and cannot fill gaps. Id be very surprised if it works, if the key has broken, there wint be a clean fit between the 2 parts.

GrahamS

though not sure whether I can lay my hands on Thermite

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=homemade+thermite

Not actually very tricky to make. Though you may show up on a watch list.

GrahamS

Whatever method you use, make sure you video it and wear this outfit:

johnh259
    Free Member

@Ninfan – like that, lateral thinking!

m1kea
    Free Member

ninfan

Crate of beer and local fire station

All joking apart, would you be happy to pay for such a service? – I think I would.

In fact, I’m going to email a fireman mate on the subject!

PiknMix
    Free Member

EDIT have people even used superglue? It sets rapidly and cannot fill gaps. Id be very surprised if it works, if the key has broken, there wint be a clean fit between the 2 parts.

I have done it successfully, not on a D lock granted but on a euro cylinder door lock after shutting the key fob in the door and snapping the key off.

jonnouk
    Free Member

Bottle/scissor jack & eye protection.

johnh259
    Free Member

Once again, thanks all for your input – still not sure what I’ll settle on but there’s plenty of inspiration there. Will probably try an angle grinder if I can work out how to power it.

Though m1kea I definitely would – I’m gonna ask the fire and police guys too – I’m sure they’ve got a ton of fun toys for freeing people, unchaining protestors. Sure wish I had a good mate with a set of hydraulic bolt cutters though!

For the curious, I shall post the results when I have some.

Cheers, you’ve been great!

DT78
    Free Member

If it comes to it, you could potentially take a hacksaw to the frame…and get a cheap second hand replacement (this assumes its a hack bike because its locked at the station)

Good luck!

amedias
    Free Member

If the key has snapped in the lock then do you not just need to find some way to turn it?

Or has it half snapped off or something like that?

dirtyboy

Where are you, I’ve got a makita cordless grinder?

johnh259
    Free Member

@amedias nah, it’s wedged way down in… and seems really locked solid in there.

@dirtyboy, I’m in Watford

dirtyboy

Ah bugger I’m in south wales, sorry.

Muke
    Free Member

Try posting on http://www.lfgss.com/ as have seen this problem posted on there quite a few times. Cordless angle grinder does seem to be the weapon of choice for this kind of thing.

tomaso
    Free Member

Two stroke angle grinder is the solution!

crazybaboon

Have a word with your local fire station, I managed to lock two bikes together in the boot of my car when going away as an over night stay was needed, once I arrived I discovered the lock key was 300 miles away at home!
    The firemen cut the lock off with a cutting disc, they didn’t want anything for doing it and I had to virtually force them to take a few quid off me for a drink or to donate to a good cause!

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

If its the hexagonal abus key, I broke one off in Abus’ most expensive cable lock. I turned it with a pair of eyebrow tweezers.

I live in fear of breaking the remaining key…

Superficial
    Free Member

Can you try a car jack to prise open the D-lock? I’ve heard of that working.

This topic is a hotbed of ideas for any would-be thieves.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘D-Lock snapped key woes’ is closed to new replies.