Cynic-Al's post on being more middle class…

Home Forum Chat Forum Cynic-Al's post on being more middle class…

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 90 total)
  • Cynic-Al's post on being more middle class…
  • footflaps

I’m the dregs of humanity.

yes, but what class of dregs?

Premier Icon scotroutes
    Subscriber

footflaps wrote:

yes, but what class of dregs?[/quote]Dunno. Ask njee.

Are they^^ all Noddy Holder ?

Only Jon Pertwee

amedias

‘I notice you drive a Corolla, why’?

did you actually say that in casual conversation? seems a very odd thing to ask, or is that normal around your way?

(trying not to sound like a d1ck here, it just strikes me as a really strange thing to say!)

We also shop at Waitrose, because it’s < 1/2 a mile from my house, I do get some odd looks rolling in with the bike and trailer though to do a weekly shop surrounded by huge posh cars, does that make me Middle Class or an intruder?

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

I do the opposite. I like to project an image of a militant lefty, northern working class scumbag who exists purely on a diet of Greggs, and drives a nackered Golf

In reality my name is actually Lady Levinia Crumpton Smythe, I own half of Cheshire, give tens of thousands to the Tories every year, to aid them in keeping you disgusting proles in your place, and don’t actually own one of those frightful mountain bicycle things, but I do have a selection of thoroughbred horses

LoCo

amedias – Member

did you actually say that in casual conversation? seems a very odd thing to ask, or is that normal around your way?

(trying not to sound like a d1ck here, it just strikes me as a really strange thing to say!)

Imagine it in a Partridge type voice and it’s fine 😉

WTF is middle class anyway

I own half of Cheshire

…it’s the shite half though 😉

Premier Icon zippykona
    Subscriber

Yes, folks who talk about their rich friends are very strange…

And talking about a total strangers rich friends is nearly as bad as talking to a total stranger about my rich friends!

Premier Icon ourmaninthenorth
    Subscriber

Pledase consider who was asking the question. Then you have your explanation.

(My view is that Brits are scared of “why” quesitons, as they go direct to belief. Really what Hora was saying was: “My assessment of your job suggests you earn this much, which would definitely mean you could afford to buy a car costing more than the one I see you driving. Why, in spite of your obvious earning levels, aren’t you conforming to the naitonal requirement to drive an expensive white Audi?”)

Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber

I’m the dregs of humanity

You’re Scottish, it’s implicit.

**Runs**

Premier Icon imnotverygood
    Subscriber

Ignoring the irony in cycnic-al’s post for a moment. I think it is amazing how class obsessed we Brits remain. Both inverse & standard snobbery are clearly alive and well in Britain in a way they are not in other countries.

Premier Icon flange
    Subscriber

A course full of Hora’s – there’s a thought. Maybe a Corolla is the collective noun for a bunch of Horas?

I’m not sure apart from the New Money brigade if anyone really cares about class divide? I feel a pang of envy when a mate buys a fancy new bike or car, but I don’t feel that I’ve been bested or that I need to compete. I just like nice cars/bikes and wish I had one of whatever they’ve bought.

I remember years ago seeing a thread on pistonheads asking for advice on whether a bloke should put his personal number plate on his brand new car or wait for the next batch of new registrations to come out and then change it – his thinking being he wanted everyone to know it was a ‘new’ new car. That’s a special kind of dickhead. Sadly I’m willing to bet he’s not the only one to have thought that….

Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber

I’m not sure apart from the New Money brigade if anyone really cares about class divide? I feel a pang of envy when a mate buys a fancy new bike or car, but I don’t feel that I’ve been bested or that I need to compete. I just like nice cars/bikes and wish I had one of whatever they’ve bought.

I agree with that. I know a few who genuinely do compare themselves To others, but for most it’s just an appreciation of nice stuff.

You’re Scottish, it’s implicit. you have dicks for neighbours

FTFY 😀

Premier Icon Rusty Spanner
    Subscriber

We have personalised numberplate angst.

Father in law bought a car, many years ago, which has Mrs S’s name in the plate.
    Transferred it from car to car, then left it to her when he died.
    It was a lovely thing to do, so they are on her car.

So, if someone could do me a small sticker we can leave in the window, explaining the situation, that’d be great.

It has, however, made me more tolerant to those who may have, by chance or misfortune, had personalised plates thrust upon them.

Rusty Spanner, one of my neighbours had a brand new Audi TT and he left his private reg off for 6 months so every one could see it was a new car. Seriously!

Tesco and Asda truly are full of the dregs of humanity!

It makes shopping a far more interesting experience.

Booths on a Sunday afternoon however….Makes my skin itch.

Premier Icon slowoldman
    Subscriber

We shop in Waitrose.
    So do I and I’m calling bullshit on those overheard comments.

Premier Icon flange
    Subscriber

one of my neighbours had a brand new Audi TT and he left his private reg off for 6 months so every one could see it was a new car. Seriously!

And THAT’S what I’m talking about. That’s not about class though is it, its about wanting to show off. Which is a bit pathetic when you think that nobody cares apart from you. All I see is someone who has lost a huge amount of money by needing to have a new car, but I can still appreciate a nice car for what it is.

I think a lot of people confuse class with this need to have things, materialism. I’m pretty sure somebody with the latest iPhone doesn’t care about how wealthy they look but they do want the latest and greatest because as far as they’re concerned, they NEED it. Nobody NEEDS a £600 phone, just like nobody needs a £4k MTB or a £30k car. But they justify it because they work hard and therefore feel they deserve it. ‘Working a job you hate to buy sh1t you don’t need’ as Chuck P..Pal..Palul…that bloke from fight club wrote.

Lower class is living hand to mouth, paycheck to paycheck or possibly worse – not having enough to get by. Middle class therefore should surely be someone who lives comfortably, probably has a back up fund if needed and can afford a few nice things. Upper class is a posh seat on a Virgin flight….HA!

Premier Icon Nobeerinthefridge
    Subscriber

The programme that Prescott did on class was brill. Goes into a kind of barratt type 70’s estate and knocks on this fat roasters door, asks him about class. Guy says he used to be working class, but had recently achieved a lifetime ambition of doing the Ascot racing day with top and tails, and so was now middle class.

The look on Prescott’s face was wicked.

He then asks what newspaper he reads, ‘Daily Mail’ he says, proud as punch….

solamanda

I find judging people on how the spend their money in proportion to their house is odd. Maybe some people don’t want to be tied down by a big mortgage just to have a bigger house or in a ‘better’ postcode? Many people have been brain washed over generations into nearly bankrupting themselves to get a big house.

sirromj

Us British are a special case aren’t we…. Even our mud is different to everyone elses 🙄

Merak

My brother in law is genuinely posh, several homes, beach huts, cottages dotted about the place which, crucially he doesn’t rent out to the poor.

Anyway, he recalls his grandmother, when encountering someone she deemed beneath them, would say NQOCD.

That’s middle class.

finbar

fat roaster

😀

I think this is up there with ‘hoof her in the slats’…

Premier Icon Nobeerinthefridge
    Subscriber

A common insult in the West of Scotland Finbar 😆

TheBrick

Both inverse & standard snobbery are clearly alive and well in Britain in a way they are not in other countries.

You must be joking. US , France, Canada, …., all have class bullshit, it just manifests its self in slightly different ways (and sometimes not so different ways) from how it does in the UK.

Solo

scotroutes – Member

You’ve been promoted?!?!

perchypanther – Member
    You’re Scottish, it’s implicit. you have dicks for neighbours

What? The English?

My recent experiences have lead me to consider that UK society isn’t so much about class as just plain old one-upmanship. It’s like we all hate each other. Or is that just the Midlands?

I’m Considerably richer than yaow!

Premier Icon aracer
    Subscriber

flange wrote:

And THAT’S what I’m talking about. That’s not about class though is it, its about wanting to show off. Which is a bit pathetic when you think that nobody cares apart from you. All I see is someone who has lost a huge amount of money by needing to have a new car, but I can still appreciate a nice car for what it is.
    I think a lot of people confuse class with this need to have things, materialism.

Lower class is living hand to mouth, paycheck to paycheck or possibly worse – not having enough to get by. Middle class therefore should surely be someone who lives comfortably, probably has a back up fund if needed and can afford a few nice things. Upper class is a posh seat on a Virgin flight….HA!

You appear to be contradicting yourself – I agreed with your first part, because as I said earlier class has nothing to do with money, plenty of working class people (who would self identify as working class) who have “loadsamoney”

Premier Icon aracer
    Subscriber

solo wrote:

My recent experiences have lead me to consider that UK society isn’t so much about class as just plain old one-upmanship.

You’re associating with the wrong sort of people 😉

Sam

My assessment of your job suggests you earn this much, which would definitely mean you could afford to buy a car costing more than the one I see you driving.

Reminds me of when I had a job and turned up at a corporate golf day in my rusty M reg Transit – I got a few ‘what the hell are you driving that for’ comments…

If no one aspired to better things we’d all live in some shit heap 2-up 2-down in the north west* and shop at Asda.

Alreet, Like, Marra, Like?

*Actually it’s a bijou cottage on the edge of the Lake District
    **we just get nappies and wipes at asda though – honest.

Solo

aracer – Member
    You’re associating with the wrong sort of people.

I wouldn’t call it association as much as me just mashing the throttle of my huge german car, as I pass the bus stop, so as to deposit a useful layer of soot and grime on the faces of those fortunate enough to be standing there.

They’re not referred to as the unwashed masses for nothing so I see it as my duty to remind them of my superiority.
    😆

Premier Icon aracer
    Subscriber

Ah, so it’s actually you who’s the wrong sort of people.

Premier Icon matt_outandabout
    Subscriber

I often get the feeling some of the residents of this street are trying to hard; one of the houses has TWO white cars, one an Audi with personalized plates.

Ah, so you are outside my brother in law and his wife’s house?

She just ordered one of these, in this colour. 😕

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

Has anyone ever seen one of those monstrosities without a private plate?

LoCo

Convertible one due soon too 😐

Premier Icon bigblackshed
    Subscriber

LoCo – Member
    Convertible one due soon too

Followed by a flood of complaints because the new owners will be able to hear the proles shout “****” as they drive past.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘Cynic-Al's post on being more middle class…’ is closed to new replies.