Viewing 21 posts - 161 through 181 (of 181 total)
  • cynic-al's "oh no, we've run out of ideas, what can we sell now" award thread
  • mrmo
    Free Member

Don’t know about anybody else but I’m really disillusioned with MTB’ing at the moment. Ive just read the latest issue and none of the bikes reviewed inspire me.

Not the only person, i spend far more time on the road bike these days. I enjoy getting out on the mtb, but the BS that surrounds it, problem is it is creeping into the roadbike world as well.

AlexSimon

The answer is to stop buying magazines that are all about shopping, and instead read something which inspires you to ride off road.
    Or just arrange regular rides so that you do it by default.

yunki
    Free Member

100% agree with Alex Simon

This approach has worked very well for me, and as a result I don’t seem to have fallen into any of the many pitfalls that some are describing with obsolete standards etc

juan
    Free Member

I think it’s interesting that many perceive the best-handling bikes to be recent ones.

Maybe it’s because tyres and suspension made this possible.

mrmo
    Free Member

and as a result I don’t seem to have fallen into any of the many pitfalls that some are describing with obsolete standards etc

How long have you been riding if you don’t mind me asking?

Obsolete standards on my bikes include 1″ headsets, quill stems, 28.6 handle bars, Look Deltas, Early Time pedals, V brakes, IS disc brakes and if you believe the hype soon to be joined by, caliper brakes, 9mm dropouts, 1 1/8th steerers, 26″ wheels.

Inconveniences along the way include going from 46/36/14 chain sets to microdrive, 7spd to 8 then to 9 and at some point i will go ten and 11 as decent spares get rarer.

And in the time i have been riding what has changed about why i ride, f*** all.

core

35mm bars next……

brooess
    Free Member

Don’t know about anybody else but I’m really disillusioned with MTB’ing at the moment. Ive just read the latest issue and none of the bikes reviewed inspire me.
    Not the only person, i spend far more time on the road bike these days. I enjoy getting out on the mtb, but the BS that surrounds it, problem is it is creeping into the roadbike world as well.

Similar here – the constant changing of standards whereby I want new bars and have to fork out for a new stem as well, is just putting me off… I’m tired of the constant hype and unavailability of parts that work perfectly fine and then can’t be replaced. (although the classifieds are a good source)

I think the industry needs to get a grip on itself and stop innovating for the sake of it/pursuit of profit.

As Rusty Spanner said, the Rover Safety (1880’s) was pretty much right first time. Other than suspension, they’re the same design we ride now, and even full suss is just an adaptation… and to me, that simplicity and the fact I do almost all my own maintenance is one of the things that’s attractive about a bike

hora
    Free Member

‘The answer is to stop buying magazines that are all about shopping, and instead read something which inspires you to ride off road’

I thought the same. ALL are geared to either subtle promotion and full on advertising

yunki
    Free Member

since about 1986 mrmo..

what you’ve described there is a handful of changes in the last 25 years..

hardly a plague is it?

hora
    Free Member

Err 5 changes? No

yunki
    Free Member

There’s been some changes, but parts are still available and very little has become completely obsolete

My point is, that as someone that has never really got into buying mags, with 2 or 3 new bikes over the years, and no desire to keep up with the Jones’, I’ve not really been affected by this appalling blight..

Which has left me plenty of time to just get on and ride my bike 8)

aracer
    Free Member

Obsolete standards on my bikes include 1″ headsets, quill stems, 28.6 handle bars, Look Deltas, Early Time pedals, V brakes, IS disc brakes and if you believe the hype soon to be joined by, caliper brakes, 9mm dropouts, 1 1/8th steerers, 26″ wheels.

I was going to query 1″ headsets on MTBs given I have a 20yo frame with a 1 1/8th (that did originally have a quill stem, but got upgraded when I bought a Rockshox Judy, which dates that change – though the 16yo tandem still has a 1 1/8th quill stem) however given you mention Look Deltas is that on a road bike? Though when was 28.6 ever a standard for handle bars (if you mean 25.4 then such items and stems to match are still readily available, and only obsolete if you believe they are). Caliper brakes presumably on road bikes, in which case I’ll believe their obsoletion when I see it.

Inconveniences along the way include going from 46/36/14 chain sets to microdrive, 7spd to 8 then to 9 and at some point i will go ten and 11 as decent spares get rarer.

Ah – I still have a 46/36/24 chainset on my 20yo frame, along with 8sp drivetrain. Only one of my large fleet has 10sp!

the constant changing of standards whereby I want new bars and have to fork out for a new stem as well, is just putting me off.

Is that because you’re buying into the latest trend for super wide bars? Otherwise I’ve not noticed a huge problem with getting bars to fit my older stem.

timbo678
    Free Member
    tomhoward

Just realised I’ve never owned an mtb with an even number of rear sprockets. Had 1, 5, 7, 9 and got an 11 speed on order.

I did have one 8speed bike, but that was a frame mounted ‘gearbox’ so doesn’t count….

Steve77
    Free Member

Ultra wide rims are coming. Don’t think buying that new bling 650bollocks wheelset is going to save you from the future. Next year you’ll be hearing in every mag and on every website your rims are too narrow and your tyres too wide. Don’t believe me? Google it and then get ready to dust off those old 2.1″ tyres ready for your new wide rims. Oh wait you can’t they’re obsolete 26 inchers

aracer
    Free Member

…and relax

I don’t think Monty Hall used 27″ wheels

AlexSimon

steve77 – and then they’ll tell us we need new wide-rim-specific tyres.

chestrockwell

You all worry far too much.

I can still buy decent quality parts to keep my 21 speed, 1″ headset, 26″ wheel, 26.8mm seatpost, non suspension corrected 1992 Orange Prestige on the road. Infact, it’s in great nick.

To be honest 650 wheels bother me less then tapered steerers, 15/20mm Maxel etc. At least it’s all up front and everyone knows about it rather then it happening by stealth. If you went from qr to 15/20mm forks you have to buy new wheels (unless you have Hope hubs etc). Nearly all the decent and well priced forks are tapered atm. I have 1 1/8th. All these 650/29er changes are nothing new, it’s been happening for years. Even after all the changes you can still keep a 20 year old bike on the road with no problem at all.

End.

Steve77
    Free Member

The best innovations make a really noticeable difference to the quality of your ride but don’t force you to change anything else on your bike – e.g. dropper seatposts

If something unquestionably makes the bike better but is incompatible with a lot of other components people will still be enthusiastic about it – e.g. disc brakes are great, but meant we all needed new hubs/forks/frames

What is annoying is when a new standard is pushed out that is a marginal improvement at best, but is incompatible with the largest and most expensive bits of a bike. 650b is probably the worst example of that in years. It’s annoying because suppose in a couple of years I want to buy new forks for my old non-tapered headtube chameleon frame. Yes I’ll undoubtedly be able to buy whichever forks I want at full retail price, but when hunting for bargains or used ones there’ll be a much more limited choice because of all the tapered and/or 650b stuff knocking about

atlaz
    Free Member

I’ll see your gravel bike and raise you a beach racing bike

Shamelessly stolen from BikeSnobNYC

The frame is based on (and replaces) their Cross Winner cyclocross bike. But, they tweaked it to make it more effective for the flat, sandy courses. The seat tube got steeper to bring you closer to a time trial position so you can lay down the power through softer sand. The head angle was slackened a bit to provide better stability. All of which sounds a lot like some gravel racers we’ve seen.

Northwind

I saw an advert for Thomson’s 29er-specific negative rise bar yesterday. I’d quite like to beat them with it.

Viewing 21 posts - 161 through 181 (of 181 total)

The topic ‘cynic-al's "oh no, we've run out of ideas, what can we sell now" award thread’ is closed to new replies.