Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 181 total)
  • cynic-al's "oh no, we've run out of ideas, what can we sell now" award thread
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

You know, the “Oh shit, we are really scraping the barrel this product year, will they really buy this crap? Oh hang on, they have been for years, of course it will all be OK!” kind of product.

My own vote this year – hollowtech chainrings*. What single tangible real-world benefit do they offer? ANOTHER new chainring fixing standard, “increased stiffness” WTF ARE YOU ACTUALLY HAVING A LAUGH?

(*If you need me to explain this then this is not the thread for you)

garage-dweller

A certain Someone in the trade will be along in a moment to tell you he has sold nothing but 650b ht7 sprockets and they really make the potholes come alive.

clubber
    Free Member

Murdered out

RustySpanner

Well, those Fizik 29er specific saddles have ensured I will never, ever buy anything from that company.
    A strong runner up.

But I think we know the winner, don’t we?
    How can it be anything else but the most pointless and cynical piece of marketing since James McCormick’s bomb detector.

darrell
    Free Member

new bikes

really, who needs them. fix your old ones

scotroutes

Anything surpasses the sagometer?

cfinnimore
    Free Member

I’ve been away.

Are the public still horrifying you with their wares Al?

Nonsense.

project
    Free Member

cynic-al’s “oh no, we’ve run out of ideas, what can we sell now” award thread

Thought this was going to be about the con dem party, and their sell off all state buisnesses.

Disapointed.

benjii19
    Free Member

Centre lock maybe.

mjsmke

29er/650b specific hubs or 29er/650b specific disc rotors – Pointless but some morons will buy them.

marko75
    Free Member

Well, those Fizik 29er specific saddles have ensured I will never, ever buy anything from that company

+1

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Project, change the effing record, would you?

RustySpanner

C’mon Flashy, we’re all in it together, no? 😉

And frankly a bit rich, considering your history of anti Labour diatribes.
    I seem to remember you averaged about one per page at one time.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

😀

Then I realised I was boring myself, never mind what I was doing to others, so I stopped.

ska-49
    Free Member

Not seen these chainrings yet- link please!

RustySpanner

BTW, I’ve just Googled ‘650bollocks’, as you do, to find that someone has already registered it as a username on here.

I am so, so impressed.

tomhoward

Googled ‘650bollocks

I’m not doing that.

cynic-al
    Free Member

ska-49

Someone on here, who for the time being shall remain nameless, thought they were a real benefot. But then he did NEED a 54/11 or similar for his training ride.

aracer
    Free Member

Project, change the effing record, would you?

To be fair I was expecting the same as project!

cynic-al – that definitely isn’t an April fool? I can only assume it’s Shimano’s lame attempt to do something similar to this without infringing Campag patents:

That does at least have a small engineering benefit, so Campag designers can possibly be spared execution for also introducing a new chainring standard for the compact version (the BCD for the hole behind the arm is slightly larger than the others, presumably for clearance reasons).

cynic-al
    Free Member

aracer, here’s bikeradar’s guff on Dura Ace (I am presuimng the Ultegra above incorporates the same “advances”)

Hollow forging technology extends to chainrings
    The outgoing Dura-Ace 7800 crankset was already competitive in weight and the industry benchmark for rigidity but Shimano says the new 7900 version is both 50g lighter and a significant 20% stiffer. Total claimed weight is now just 690g including bottom bracket (which is, of course, said to be better sealed and smoother running), putting it within a stone’s throw of, or even lighter than, most high-end carbon offerings.

While most of those gains are likely due to the new arm design, a new “100% hollow” outer chainring will also make its own contribution to the ‘lighter and stiffer’ theme. We’re not sure that most recreational riders will be able to feel the difference in chainring rigidity underfoot but particularly strong pro riders who have been known to fold outer rings in the past just by pedaling will assuredly be happy with the improvement.[/b]

I am incandescent 😡

mikewsmith
    Free Member

You know, the “Oh shit, we are really scraping the barrel this product year, will they really buy this crap? Oh hang on, they have been for years, of course it will all be OK!” kind of product.

the idea that a tyre will only work in a narrow specific set of conditions….

aracer
    Free Member

How many recorded instances do you think there are of pro riders folding outer rings just by pedalling? Of course the same stiffness advantage of a hollow chainring can also be had by having less unsupported length…

Northwind

In the Year of 650b, everything else that will be posted in this thread won’t even register tbh.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Aracer, I must be thick, what is the similarly / IP you are referring to?

Edric64
    Free Member

Chainrings were fine with BCD of 144 or 151 and thus well supported , for racing they didnt need to change

atlaz
    Free Member

Total claimed weight is now just 690g including bottom bracket

I’m surprised they’re making such a big deal. My FSA K-Force cranks are 620g including rings and BB.

As for the folding of the rings, I’m going to go out on a limb and say that is bullshit (excluding crash damage and manufacturing defects).

cynic-al
    Free Member

atlaz you are out on no limb, it’s utter crap!

More lazy and feeble journalism. It should get a raspberry award.

Klunk
    Free Member

usb cigarette lighter

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8CeP15EAS8[/video]

ojom
    Free Member

I spent 3 days at Eurobike and came away with the same conclusion.

FYI the whole wheel size thing… Total and utter mess.

boltonjon

650bollocks – best username ever 😀

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

A transfer jacket???? http://www.rapha.cc/transfer-jacket/

atlaz
    Free Member

Well what they mean is it’s a normal, non cycling jacket from Rapha so you can be seen to be a cyclist even when you’re not in proper kit. Which isn’t too bad I suppose as I have to admit to owning a Campagnolo jacket which is supposedly for cycling but makes you sweat like you’re wearing a portable sauna so is off-bike only.

avdave2

CFH Remember there is none so tedious as the reformed sinner. 🙂

bikebouy
    Free Member

That transfer jacket is one of the best and most worn pieces of clothing I have owned in a very very long time. It’s only a version of a puffa jacket, T’is all, but nicer. 😉

ratherbeintobago

Warm, lightweight jacket using PrimaLoft® ONE insulation for comfort pre and post-ride, travelling and sitting outside cafés.

I do have a couple of Rapha base layers, which are very nice, but they do often appear to have completely lost the plot.

jameso

Liteville should get a Eurobike wheelbollocks award for suggesting 24″ rear wheels on small size trail bikes. With a 26″ front. To fit in with a scaled, odd-wheel range. 24/26, then 26/650, 650/29 etc. Insane.

Jamie
    Free Member

After reading this thread, I am 20% stiffer.

….and hollow 🙁

soobalias
    Free Member

oooh goody another lightweight super stiff everlasting chainring standard.

One-Oh-Four-Bee-Cee-Dee anything else is frippery.

hora
    Free Member

“Murdered out” – as used on Marzocchi forks for YEARS.

bencooper
    Free Member

Is it because MTBers are getting older that there’s this obsession with stiffness?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 181 total)

The topic ‘cynic-al's "oh no, we've run out of ideas, what can we sell now" award thread’ is closed to new replies.