• This topic has 57 replies, 41 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by tthew.
Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • Cylinder head blown, honest advice please!
  • tthew

That’s an interesting site. Anyone else bunged their registration number in there just out of interest? £1350 for a recon engine for my van. I’m pleased it’s running nicely. 🤣

PJM1974
    Free Member

There’s no easy answers in this, if your daughter still owes £7,800 on a five year old Corsa then something is very, very amiss – either she’s been unable to meet repayments or she paid way over the odds for it in the first place. If she’s put another 29k miles on it without taking it back to the garage (which might’ve been a warranty fix?) then she’s in for a very difficult lesson in the importance of getting your car serviced.

FWIW, I feel the OP’s pain. An ex of mine was historically rubbish with money and dropped into conversation that her five year old Yaris with 40k on the clock had never received a service, ever. She’d got scared at the prospect of an expensive service and decided that not bothering with it was the leasy scary option for her. I managed to persuade her to get the car looked at and explained that the gap in the service history was likely to cost hear dearly when it came to trade the car in. The resulting service wasn’t cheap, but there was peace of mind at least.

b230ftw
    Free Member

“ It’s a shit situation, but it’s your daughter, you can’t just walk away.”

Yes you can. If you don’t it’s gonna cost the same again and again and again.
    If I needed money through no fault of my own despite being ok with finances I know my parents would help me. If I needed money cos I’d done what the OPs daughter had done my parents would tell me to do one if I’d dared to ask for the cash, and I’d probably agree with them. 😂
    You could offer advice on how to get themselves out of the hole they are in, but there is no way I’d be buying them a spade…..

Daffy

29k miles, in the middle of a pandemic?

That aside, I’d bung a reconditioned engine in it, then PX it against something else and have her pay the finance and the engine with a warning that this will never happen again. You’re on your own Kiddo!

footflaps

To skim the engine block means stripping the engine of the pistons etc and basically re-building the engine again.

I had a full rebuild of my 1993 Corsa 1.5 TD when I went through a ford in the Lakes and sucked in water. I did have the bent con rod and knackered piston as a momento for a few years. A back street garage stripped and rebuilt it for about £900 IIRC. Did another 100k after that before it was getting silly keeping it going…

footflaps

FWIW, I feel the OP’s pain. An ex of mine was historically rubbish with money and dropped into conversation that her five year old Yaris with 40k on the clock had never received a service, ever.

Not unusual, the wife works for Kia UK and they regularly have customers bring in a car with a knackered engine after several years without ever servicing the car. They expect Kia to give them a new one under warranty as “the cars come with a 7 year warranty”.

si77

Threads like this really put me off buying a used car!

thestabiliser
    Free Member

As my grandad would’ve said
    “She wants her bloody arse punchin'”

finbar
    Free Member

Suggest she goes for a road trip to Watford (shouldn’t take much persuading if she’s driven 29k miles due to boredom 😀 ) and the car will conveniently get written off

tthew

I had a full rebuild of my 1993 Corsa 1.5 TD when I went through a ford in the Lakes and sucked in water. I did have the bent con rod and knackered piston as a momento for a few years. A back street garage stripped and rebuilt it for about £900 IIRC.

That was nearly 30 years ago! £1925 today according to the Bank of England inflation calculator, average of 2.8% per year.

duncancallum

I’d have k sealed it before taking the head off. As a punt

Now as I’ve said I’d put a lump in it. You could try some jb weld and flating it off but I doubt itll go for long.

I’m not going down the lecture path. You know. I’d like to think she’ll now know.

trail_rat
    Free Member

That was nearly 30 years ago! £1925 today according to the Bank of England inflation calculator, average of 2.8% per year.

I doubt he rattled through a ford at speed in 93 in his shiny new 93 TD Corsa ….surprised a 1.5td ate water and needed work though….. Isuzu should have compressed the shit out that water hahhah

duncancallum

Was it the 1500 that had the headgaskets with the notches for thickness..

Any heavy skim rendered it scrap or needing the pistons skimmed

trail_rat
    Free Member

No idea but they could take a fair bit of extra boost without lunching the HG

footflaps

That was nearly 30 years ago!

You’re right, doesn’t seem that long ago! Although I think I had it for nearly 10 years, put something like 250k miles on it in the end.

.surprised a 1.5td ate water and needed work though…

It ate a lot IIRC, drove through the ford one way when it was a few inches deep, then coming back I just assumed it was the same depth. Hit 2′ of water at about 40mph which probably forced a fair amount into the air intake. Then drove onto Ambleside with what looked like a smoke generator strapped to the car, 1/4 of the fuel was being ignited in the exhaust and generating plumes of dense fog behind the car. Car was pronounced ‘dead’ by a garage in Ambleside. Had the AA tow it back to a local garage near work, in Old Harlow, who repaired it, inc drying the inside out (my passenger opened the door in 2′ of water, which promptly turned the car into a swimming pool).

singletrackmind

http://Www.breakeryard.com
    You put in an online request form and the car breakerists get back tl you witj a price

Not used it for a few years but used to be a good option

duncancallum

Any update

tthew

Yeah c’mon @geordiemick00 what did you decide in the end? Don’t keep us hanging.

Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Cylinder head blown, honest advice please!’ is closed to new replies.