Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Cyclocross tubeless/Stans tyre recommendations?
  • ormondroyd
    Free Member

I’m looking for recommendations for CX tyres that are:

– NOT Vittoria (long story, but it’ll never happen ever)
    – quite wide. Happy with 35mm or a bit less
    – Problem free on Stans rims, running tubeless
    – good in wet and mud

Any thoughts?

john_l
    Free Member

Vittoria XG TNT. Sorry.

ormondroyd
    Free Member

When you’ve had ordinary private eBay auctions pulled by a company under claims of trademark infringement, accompanied by nasty legalese in emails, you go off them. Would never buy their stuff again, ever.

john_l
    Free Member

Blimey!

ormondroyd
    Free Member

Anyone used Michelin Mud 2’s?

v12jat
    Free Member

running mud 2’s on crests, no problems at all!! tend to stick around 30-35 psi with no burping! good tyres

daiboy
    Free Member

Do not get me started…after what felt like a month of Internet research I plumped for Mud 2’s to go on my Stans 340’s. They seemed a bit baggy when first mounted. Added a couple of layers of tape and still no luck. I tried seating them with an innertube but they fell from the rim as soon as the tube was removed. Also there was no satisfying ping when pumping which means I would have little faith at lower pressures.

Good luck tracking down some XG TNTs – it seems like the entire output was bought up by the US!

dobo
    Free Member

i use mud 2’s tubeless on some thin non tubeless road wheels, just required a few wraps of tape, (not the yellow stuff). not ideal but they do work fine tubeless if setup correct.

my tip is this, if you cant seat them with a track pump then they are too baggy for the rim and will probably burp.

cant speak for stans rims, i thought the new rims were even tighter for tyres though.

redhorse

Hi,

My son uses 35mm Rocket Rons tubeless on Alpha 340 rims. They fitted a treat with a single run of tape, and went up with a CO2 cyliner no problem. He has done almost two CX seasons without an issue. However, as you’ll find on many forum posts, running road / CX non tubeless tyres as tubeless does bring its perils. I pumped my sons tyres up to little over 40psi for the HONC this year because of the lengthy road sections, and he suffered the classic blowout of both beads simultaneously on his rear wheel. As far as I can make out, anything even slightly above 40psi causes the beads to stretch…so if you are heavyish and need close to 40psi, look elsewhere. I run Crest rims on my CX disc bike with the same tyres, but with tubes…. Good all round CX tyres though.

daiboy
    Free Member

Quite a useful rundown here

daiboy
    Free Member

And here

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Running Rocket Rons tubeless at around 25-30psi, no burping even when the tyre is folded over.
    Rims are Iron Cross and they went up with a track pump.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Got maxxis raze on iron cross here at 35 psi – they sealed but not immediately so probably not super tight on the beads.

powerofra

Have fannied about a bit with tubeless on Crest rims.

Maxxis raze are fragile and I ended up with holes too big to seal when the tyre and rim collide. Pressure above 40 = bang!

Schwalbe Rons and Ralph’s are more substantial and good treads. Rons for mud. Again, pressure above 40 is a no no.

Tubeless on a MTB is a genuine advance from tubes I think, but my experience with tubeless CX has been disappointing.

On one and one of the big mail order companies in Germany have previously had good prices on the Schwalbe tyres so worth a look.

Good luck!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Cyclocross tubeless/Stans tyre recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.