Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Cyclocross changed my life
  • Metasequoia

The OP’s post; nicely composed. Actually made me want to run around a field with a bike!

flange
    Free Member

It was sir, and very good (hard) it was too. I can’t do the next one (clashes with d2d) so you’re welcome to borrow my bike

Kryton57

Ah! Then we probably saw each other; I was the lone marshal in the middle of the top field (The drag after the little short kick up ) eating sandwiches and coffee whilst you were all straining away 😀

I’ve woken up still ready to go an buy a Kinesis pro6 ffs!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    senorj

very inspiring post OP. I enjoy riding mine &I’ve been tempted to do a traditional cx race for the past year(have done the offroad sportive type). What puts me off is when I see the fun race at Ally Pally being contested by racing snakes and everyone is a few good meals short of happy…. 😀
    I’ll probably be back at Ally pally with the cowbells…. 😐

flange
    Free Member

Buy it! Or buy my mates! Seriously, despite not being able to walk properly today, still buzzing! It was awesome

Kryton57

Whats he selling, and in what size?

JCL
    Free Member

Riding around muddy fields on road bikes and occasionally getting off and running over small man made features.

It should have died out 20 years ago. I guess it’s great for people who can’t climb or descend for shit in XC races

Jamie
    Free Member

bikebouy
    Free Member

Looks like Raphas SuperCross thingy has sold out in certain catagories. The CycleClub in Ldn are also running some “welcome to Cross” rideouts, keep an eye on Twitter for dates/times. Last time I spoke to them (last week) they said the dates will be announced shortly.
    Be good to get some tips and more trianing in before my thrash at Broughton Hall..

flange
    Free Member

It’s a niner rlt. Have a look in the classifieds. It’s a large – I’m 6ft and it fits me

stever
    Free Member

Riding around muddy fields on road bikes and occasionally getting off and running over small man made features.

Isn’t that the point?

It should have died out 20 years ago. I guess it’s great for people who can’t climb or descend for shit in XC races

Ha ha, good one.

JCL
    Free Member

Stever, it’s rubbish though isn’t it?

The guys I know who are into it couldn’t hack XC racing.

techsmechs
    Free Member

trickydisco – Yeah rode it and goddamn it was fast and hard! 8th place, I saw you chasing and rode my little legs off to stay away!

JCL – Funny, the guys I know who race cross usually do very well in XC races. And road races.

trickydisco
    Free Member

trickydisco – Yeah rode it and goddamn it was fast and hard! 8th place, I saw you chasing and rode my little legs off to stay away!

Ah.. I know who you are. I’m sure I spoke to you at one of the cheltenham races (not pitville) with loads of straights/corners.

Fair play on 8th! you were flying. Lovely bike too! Is it new?

techsmechs
    Free Member

Yes, I may have splurged this year. 😳 Oh well, it was time to move to discs….

trickydisco
    Free Member

What are you using? trp hy/rd’s or full hydro’s?

How are you finding the difference from canti’s?

techsmechs
    Free Member

Full cable Shimano CX-77 – much finer control in the slow speed and the ability to hit the techy stuff faster and brake later. Bikes a little heavier because of it but I still think it’s an advantage.

Over the season it’ll be interesting to see how if my opinion changes.

Come over for a go on it at the next western….

shedbrewed
    Free Member

molgrips – Member

I just looked up the Welsh league. Looks like they have an under 8 category that’s 9 mins long. Anyone know what the courses are like for them? Mostly flat and grass I’d expect?

A mix in Welsh League. Some like Foxley, Pembrey and Melin Mynach are more XC whereas others are definitely grassy and faster; Brecon, Gilwern.

First race at Llantarnam just gone. I love it.

bikerbruce
    Free Member

Great post OP- Thought I’d say my bit too! I started Cross at the age of ten when my school friend ( a girl called Annie Last) suggested I come to hers and go race.Well this is my 11th consecutive cross season, Cross has been the constant in my life when other riding has come and gone. I started on a £45 kids MTB from a car boot and Now I’ve got 5 Race bikes.. Things really have come on, My local league see’s nearly 500 Competitors over all the categories and I still race with my friends that grew up with me,some who are now world champs some whom are Architects.What I’m trying to say is that cross is always worth a go, there will be fast guys and slow guys but we welcome all! Get involved, if I could tell my 14 year old self that I’d have raced Sven Nys,raced in China ,The States and Belgium then I wouldn’t have believed it.I have on of the best father sun relationships I know of with my Dad because of it so if you have kids get them involved!

Long may cross continue! get involved and share the love!

Bruce Dalton – Kinesis Morvelo Project /GRIT.CX Columnist

techsmechs
    Free Member

After such a positive response to my opening post – I thought I would share with those who wished me well with Gloucester.

I arrived a few days before the race and took in the sights and surrounding of the area. Its a fantastic part of the America and one I would love to visit ‘properly’. I also got to see the town and watch the racers arrive from all across the country to compete. Race weekend was very warm and as such meant the dust just was incredible. I’m still coughing it up now!

More Photos

I was gridded at the back as an international rider and had to fight my way through, sharp elbows and not being bullied really worked. No hollywood ending this time and I finished in the mid pack (125th to 47th/52nd in 45mins hectic minutes). The course was fantastic, really technical with a really high average speed, lots of elevation change and some proper cross sections.

Even More photos

I would love to go back and perhaps go for longer, and take in more racing. The USA CX scene is really buzzing and the atmosphere they create at the race is everything you expect. Commentators getting animated, beer drinking crowd and the heckling was all in good spirits -(tbh, it made me chuckle) I was really made to feel welcome and USAC went out of their way to help when things didn’t go quite to plan!

I made sure I took a moment during both races to look up and soak in what I was doing and it was awesome. Racing along the seawall in 28degree heat on another continent really will stay with me forever and that will last waay longer than the VISA bill….

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Cyclocross changed my life’ is closed to new replies.