Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Cyclocross, a question of bikes
  • steve_b77
    Free Member

My club down in that London is starting their cyclocross training / sessions.

I don’t have a cross bike but I do have a geared HT, will this be any good or will I just be over biked?

Alternatively, I have a Ridgeback Flite 03, it has 700cc disc wheels and 105 compact gearing with a 11-27 cassette, if I were to put some cross tyres on that would it be better? The geo is basically the same as the Genesis Vapour Cross albeit the HA & SA’s are 0.5deg steeper.

Any advice would be great

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Plenty of guys and gals use MTB’s at our CX training sessions. Normal sessions will be about handling skills, and a bike is a bike to a certain degree. You’ll notice a slowness due to angles and tyres, but nothing that will hinder you significantly, and most likely it will force you ride harder.

You’ll get a good workout when it comes to carrying it over barriers and up steps though.

Have fun.

hammerite
    Free Member

MTB will be fine, especially for training sessions. It would even be fine on more technical race courses. Less technical, more flowing courses you’d be at a big disadvantage on an MTB, but fine still.

A lot of people will put cross tyres on a hybrid and race those. Or convert it to a cross bike by putting drop bars on and changing the brake levers.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I might just do the tyre thing, it’s easier than carting multiple bikes around

aP
    Free Member

Which club is that?

steve_b77
    Free Member

Twickenham CC

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Cyclocross, a question of bikes’ is closed to new replies.