Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Cyclo Cross 1*10
  • cyclistm
    Free Member

Having really enjoyed the simplicity of 1*10 on my mtb, I’m thinking of doing the same with the CX bike.

Am I right in thinking a 10spd shadow plus rear mech wont work on a CX bike as the ratios are different??

So what are my options? What ratios and equipment are people using to hold the chain on.

Thanks

Rorschach
    Free Member

Old 9 speed XT rear mech,SRAM 11-32 10 sp cassette,105 sti and a 40t chainring. Chain retention is a 44t ring with all the teeth ground off as an outer and a drop stop.
    Survived 3 peaks without issue so I’d class it as a win.

m1kea
    Free Member

1 X 10 enough for the Big Dog Mr W?

STATO
    Free Member

the problem with 1*10 on a cross bike is your left lever will either be different (and hence feel weird) or will still have all the shifty bits in.

Anyway, a shimano 10spd clutch wont work as you say due to ratio. So the options are…

SRAM 10spd road shifter +SRAM 10speed Type2 mech. Perfect match.
    Campagnolo 10spd road shifter + SRAM 10speed Type2 mech. Apparently a good match.
    Campagnolo 11spd road shifter + jtec shiftmate + 10speed Type2 mech. Perfect match.

richpips
    Free Member

Rorschach

Old 9 speed XT rear mech,SRAM 11-32 10 sp cassette,105 sti and a 40t chainring. Chain retention is a 44t ring with all the teeth ground off as an outer and a drop stop.
    Survived 3 peaks without issue so I’d class it as a win.

I was considering doing this, did you not find yourself under/over geared?

cyclistm
    Free Member

m1kea – Member
    1 X 10 enough for the Big Dog Mr W?

1*10 is 9 too many for the big dog. bobsproket and I rode singlespeed last year and it was spot on for the course. I suspect gears may have been a little quicker though.

Not riding it this year though, due to a variety of boring reasons.

You riding?

cyclistm
    Free Member

Cheers everyone, I hadn’t considered Sram as an option.

avdave2

I’ve bought a 9 speed SLX mech off the classifieds to allow me to do this with my 10 speed sti levers. I haven’t got around to getting the other bits I need to do it though. I’ll probably go with quite low gearing, maybe 40 x 11-36 as I much prefer spinning to grinding.

benji
    Free Member

SRAM do make a brake lever with matching hood, that doesn’t have the shifter gubbins in. Either alloy bladed or carbon if you are feeling flush.

john_l
    Free Member

Older style 10spd Campag r/h Ergo & a Cane Creek l/h brake lever are very similar in look & feel. Combine with 9spd Shimano mech/cassette if your haven’t got a Campag freehub.

m1kea
    Free Member

cyclistm
    1*10 is 9 too many for the big dog. bobsproket and I rode singlespeed last year and it was spot on for the course. I suspect gears may have been a little quicker though.

Not riding it this year though, due to a variety of boring reasons.

You riding?

This singlespeed/fixie malarky looks like too much effort/potential to go horribly wrong for me!

Highly unlikely I’ll be riding, unless someone gets desperate and needs a rider to fill a team slot.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Cyclo Cross 1*10’ is closed to new replies.