Viewing 16 posts - 81 through 96 (of 96 total)
  • Cyclists who kill pedestrians could face tougher sentences
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Given its a delivery rider I would be suspicious that they werent a cyclist but were instead a motorcyclist.

A motor wasn’t mentioned.

(although granted not unlikely given the usergroup).

convert

Given its a delivery rider I would be suspicious that they werent a cyclist but were instead a motorcyclist

?

I’m old. But I’m not that old!

Ultimately though I prefer idiots like that on a bike rather than a car. They are going to be a moron either way but on the bike its a lower risk factor.

Reasonable comment. But not massively relevant. My comment was with regards to the dafty above who tried to claim you can’t endanger on a bike. That level of denial is almost as bad as the DM reading haterz for allowing reasonable debate and us all getting along is this crowded little planet.

thols2

My comment was with regards to the dafty above who tried to claim you can’t endanger on a bike. That level of denial is almost as bad as the DM reading haterz

Exactly. It does nothing to improve things for cyclists and pedestrians.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    crazy-legs

My comment was with regards to the dafty above who tried to claim you can’t endanger on a bike.

You clearly CAN endanger on a bike but, even if the rider is a selfish dickhead, the potential consequences for the rider are generally enough to largely mitigate the dickheadness.

If I ride headlong through a group of walkers, the chances are that I’m going to fall off and be injured, damage the bike etc so I’m not going to do it, regardless of how twatty the walkers are. Drivers don’t have any of those consequences so as a result they tend to be far more cavalier in how they treat vulnerable road users (the exception being horses, somehow they seem to fear the consequences of a ton of horse landing on the bonnet).

I hit a pedestrian once – many years ago riding through town in a sudden torrential summer downpour. Absolutely tipping it down and a woman sprinted out from between the stationary traffic going the other way, head down, holding a newspaper over her to shelter from the rain. Didn’t look, just sprinted across the road, probably trying to run back to the office or something without getting too soaked. I had no chance to brake, swerve, shout or anything, I just went straight into her doing maybe 12-15mph. I fell off, lying in the middle of the road screaming a phrase that rhymes with Clucking Bell. Bike went one way, lights and computer were knocked off.
    She got up, looked at me lying in the road and ran off sharpish.

No-one came to my aid. A driver hooted at me for holding him up while I was getting up off the road.

And people bang on about “how will I get compensation if I’m knocked over by a cyclist?!” No option for me to get compensation for damage to the bike caused by the dozy bint…

A dick on foot is a dick on a bike and a dick in a car. One thing with dicks is they’re consistent.

sirromj

Failing to see how a grammar test will increase pedestrian safety in the face of ex idiot drivers priced off the roads.

sirromj

A dick on foot is a dick on a bike, a dick in a car, and a dick on the internet. One thing with dicks is they’re consistent.

Ftfy 😁

Ftfy 😁

🫡

Ftfy 😁

Double post. Thanks though, a good fix.

dissonance

I’m old. But I’m not that old!

If they appeared at 20mph I would be surprised, whatever your age, if you could spot a hub or bb motor. Might just be the delivery riders in my area but most of them are riding illegal motorbikes not bicycles.

matt_outandabout

A dick on foot is a dick on a bike, a dick in a car, and a dick on the internet. One thing with dicks is they’re consistent.

Rule No.1 people. Rule No.1.

convert

If they appeared at 20mph I would be surprised, whatever your age, if you could spot a hub or bb motor. Might just be the delivery riders in my area but most of them are riding illegal motorbikes not bicycles.

The age reference was you appeared to be questioning my sight and hearing. I kind of know what a motorbike is! Your English comprehension however…..

The dude appeared down a triple flight of steps. Probably a 40-50 foot drop. Think of that Redbull downhill Brazilian favella race! Very very much a pedals level kind of descent, with a side portion of significant balls. No motor, electrical or petrol was going to make you go any quicker when gravity is on your side like that!

dissonance

The age reference was you appeared to be questioning my sight and hearing. I kind of know what a motorbike is!

Since you mention hearing then clearly you dont understand what it means, at least from a legal perspective. A motorbike can be virtually soundless (certainly less so than my bicycles freewheel) and for that matter have a virtually invisible motor.

convert

Since you mention hearing then clearly you dont understand what it means, at least from a legal perspective.

Oh, it’s your eyes that are ****. I thought you were talking about leccy assist. I can spot them at 50m. Can’t you?

Whatever – you were wrong. This was a bike. Bite me.

BruceWee

I’d call that riding in a manner likely to cause death/injury to a third party. Yes, he wasn’t on a road, but (I think) same rules apply. To say no bike rider ever rides in a manner that might endanger another is quite frankly a deluded view with a very narrow mindset of what consistutes a cyclist.

Sure, it endangers another but the odds are that he isn’t actually going to injure anyone.

First, there’s a good chance there won’t be any injury in the event of a collision.

Second, if he does collide with a pedestrian there’s a 50/50 that he is going to come off worse.

Maybe once he recovers from his broken arm/broken neck/death he’ll be back out on the road doing the exact same thing but I would assume it’s unlikely.

Anyway, we seem to be getting very hung up on edge cases. It’s like me saying there should be prosecutions for pedestrians killing and injuring cyclists because a teenager tried to happy slap a passing cyclist and accidentally clothes-lined them.

You can find edge cases to justify pretty much any law you want to make. It’s better to rely on data and there is no data anywhere that says we need legislation to deal with the wave of murder-cyclists that is terrorising the nation.

As has been shown by the numerous cyclists who have been jailed for killing pedestrians and the total lack of convictions for pedestrians who kill cyclists we can show that there are already laws in place to punish the relatively tiny number of people who ride like dicks and kill someone.

butcher

IMO, this guy is a menace to the public and disproves your IMO.

That guy could be just as much of a menace on a scooter, or a skateboard, or even a pogo stick. It’s got little to do with bikes really. Where I live you can observe people walking out in front of moving vehicles most weekends. You don’t need any form of mechanical transport to be a menace.

If you genuinely care about reducing deaths and injuries, then there are 1001 other more dangerous things you can look at that would be guaranteed to reduce deaths and injuries more. But that that’s not what it’s about, it’s a populist policy with which they know they can provoke a reaction to their own advantage. It’s not based on any evidence.

Viewing 16 posts - 81 through 96 (of 96 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.