Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Cyclists palsy – how long ?
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

Not had this for a long time .

Forgot how long till it goes away….

Did a ride yesterday and took my gloves off early in due to pogies being too warm.

Equally my pogies meant I only had 1 position available on the hoods.

Now my pinky and ring finger on my right hand are numb. Now I’ve had this before after mayhem but I’ll be damned if I remember how long it lasts…. Is it days/weeks/months ?

tjagain

Depends what damage you have done and why. carpel tunnel? I would have thought a few days for it to recover but ain’t sure at all.

What Is Cyclist’s Palsy and How to Treat It

anyway you can adjust your bars? its not something I have ever had and I claim my high bar position helps prevent this sort of issue.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Well I could adjust the bars but having done 2000km in 4weekz Inc some 200km daysont he same bike I’m pretty sure its down to.wearing no gloves and the restricted hand positions.

It’s more ulnar never and the guyons tunnel damage for the pinky and ring finger isn’t it ?

Anything that can be done to aid the recovery ?

Puffer next week innit. Can’t be doing more damage. Best dig out the suspensions

tjagain

it’s more ulnar never and the guyons tunnel damage for the pinky and ring finger isn’t it

? yes from a quick google

sound dude – just making the suggestion. How radical is your riding position? because fashion on this has changed a lot over the time I have been riding and nowadays people ride much lower bar positions than a generation ago

Its not something I know much about other than basic principles. I assume swelling in the area pressi9ng on the nerve so RICE can’t do any harm and perhaps gentle exercise. If it has not gone by the puffer my advice would be to scratch – you don’t want to mess with nerve damage.

trail_rat
    Free Member

It’s very much a touring position on a touring bike with a very flat brooks encouraging core support of the upper body by means of bollocks crushing If you don’t….

Your probably right on that one hence why I’m looking if theres much I can do 🙁

My position used to be much more radical -long low and stretched(130?mm stem slammed on 40cm bars ) , but then my belly wasn’t quite so big….

tjagain

Not the position then – you mean hoods level with saddle sort of position?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Aye there or thereabouts

Certainly no silly drop

All the spacers are in on a full steerer and the stems pointing up. It won’t get any higher.

tjagain

Angle of the bars? something like a mary bar or a flared drop puts your wrist in a relaxed neutral position. Drop bars and standard MTB bars leave your wrist under strain.

It doesn’t sound tho like its the bars position that is the key factor here

I posted a link above and there seemed to be plenty more to read up

Ibuprofen might help by reducing inflammation.

Its outside my field of knowledge however

good luck

trail_rat
    Free Member

Got Jones , Carnegie’s, Mary’s on my MTBs mostly with ergons

The bar in question was a 5 degree flared drop.

But I do think the answers is The single position/ no gloves thing as this bike has done plenty miles and long trips to be set up comfy

Yeah cheers for link, doing all that already and been alternating head/ cold on it which seems to help but could well be a placebo

Thinking back mountain mayhem was a carpel injury as was the next 2 fingers that went numb – that was due to spending alot of time leaning into bar ends – moved to ergon after that and not had any issues till not.

Being young and dumb I think I just ignored it till it went away…… Might have been days or weeks. Who knows . Was 10 years ago.

shermer75
    Free Member

Decathlon do some excellent grips that help cushion and support the Guyon’s canal. Beyond that thicker, spongier grips and/or gloves..

shermer75
    Free Member

Update: annoyingly enough it looks like they’ve stopped doing them 🙁

However these look similar:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/city-900-comfort-grips-id_8298468.html

shermer75
    Free Member

Got Jones , Carnegie’s, Mary’s on my MTBs mostly with ergons

Sorry, posted before reading this. Ergons are great, and wear gloves you madman!! 😉

trail_rat
    Free Member

yeah the no gloves thing was a dick move , but removing the gloves was easier than removing/storing my pogies for the remainder…. it was a much warmer day than anticipated. lesson learned.

oddly as i sit here using the mouse – i am occasionally getting coursing of heat through the affected fingers which i think is indicating that feeling may be back soon….compared to yesterday where they were just totally numb. washing my hands was weird – my body wasn’t feeling through my hands what my eyes were seeing when the water was hitting.

jameso

Not a lot you can do, from my experience of finger nerve damage (index finger / 1st 2 though, different to what you describe but nerves is nerves I guess). Dr told me it took a long time to recover and to be careful with it. The damage occurred over a couple of weeks and took 6 months plus to recover. I’ve done rides since of 4-5 long days that brought the issues back and it wasn’t any worse but there is very minor level of loss of feeling that seems permanent, so take care with it.

ton

i did a 300km audax on flat bars, with crappy hard grips a few years ago.
    lost all feeling in the last 3 ringers on my right hand. doctor told me i had compressed a certain nerve for too long. but it was not carpal tunnel damage.
    now use jones bars with esi grips or low risers with ergons. never suffer now.
    never used padded gloves.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Went out for a ride today on an mtb with suspension and ergons .

And it did wonders for my hand. Again maybe placebo or it may be increased blood flow.

Feels like light pins and needles now.

kcal

I guess the wrist / general area got agitated enough to release the nerve ?
    Plus you’d be moving about rather than static posture.

Good to hear, you nutter 😉

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

i went to my physio first then i raised my setup at the front of my bikes with a 30 deg rise stem and Stooge moto bars, all good now! was proper worried at the time tho :/

mildbore

Glad it seems to be sorting itself, but if you have a big event coming up I would recommend some Spesh Body Geometry gloves with padding on the palm specifically for ulnar nerve protection. I had a similar issue to you a few years ago when I did the Coast to Coast, and these gloves helped sort it/prevent reoccurence

trail_rat
    Free Member

Might give the BG gloves a go actually as my bikes for the puffer are on sids and steel rigids . Even if it fixes up it may still be fragile.

Will pop down ebc and see if I can try some on later in the week

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Have a look at your arm wrist shoulder alignment as well. Could be you need to change stem length and or roll your bars forward backwards. Thats whst the bar markings are for. For me a fairly straight line between shoulder and hands work. Experiment a bit with rolling the bar forward or backward. Might help I’d suggest using a gym workout or rowing to strengthen arms, wrist and hands.

trail_rat
    Free Member

the BG gloves worked well ,

had a slight tinge of pins and needles coming down dog dodgers at the weekend but it went away soon after i stopped my lap.

its not quite gone , but normal feeling was resumed by wednesday.

im sure given a couple more weeks it will be grand.

used foam grips on jones J bars to give me hands a nice position and keep the weight off them for the duration as much as possible.

fotorat
    Free Member

you need ergon grips – I have been using them for 12 years and have them on all my bikes – even my brompton.

you have to adjust them just right though and also readjust depending on what gloves you wear, but get it right – like me- and you will be ergon dependant, but hey ho!

trail_rat
    Free Member

I’ve had ergons for about 15 years.

They don’t fit my road bike so good though. Especially the hoods 🙂

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Cyclists palsy – how long ?’ is closed to new replies.