Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 163 total)
  • Cyclists going through red lights ?
  • paulh110
    Free Member

Seeing more and more of this , what’s your thoughts on it ?

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

8 pages

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Same as cars? Round Manchester it seems like it’s red + 2 cars on each change.

Usually most people are more important than the rules which apply to other people.

geex
    Free Member

I don’t care about traffic light laws when riding a bike, never have. Often it’s far safer to not stop at a red light. Often there’s no actual reason to need to stop at all.

ads678

Apart from the cars coming across the junction that might kill you. Or pedestrians crossing the road….

Oh and the law!

BoardinBob

I don’t care about traffic light laws when riding a bike, never have. Often it’s far safer to not stop at a red light. Often there’s no actual reason to need to stop at all.

Do you ever post anything apart from extolling how awesome you are?

mickmcd
    Free Member

im sat waiting for the thread where

” i  went through on red and got hit by a car , bloody motorists ”

but even better will be

” i  went through on red and got hit by a cow , bloody farmers “

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Same as cars? Round Manchester it seems like it’s red + 2 cars on each change.

Seriously. What gives with that? I’ve been up here 2 months from Reading and despite being like miss daisy away from the lights regularly have squeaky bum moments as cars fly through junctions which must have been red for quite some time!

cookeaa

Not really sure what you’re hoping for OP…

Execution on the spot without trial, seem proportionate enough?

I’ve seen people drive through red lights, in their brum cars and vans too… Thoughts?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Seriously. What gives with that?

Yeah was a bit of a shock, managed to leave a few stuck in the middle of the road with a quick set off on the bike too.

Not really sure what you’re hoping for OP…

True that but we all got to bask in Geex’s awesomeness for a bit

701arvn
    Free Member

I was walking round Manchester last night (in the rain) and twice, that’s right twice, cyclists stopped at red lights enabling me to cross in safety when the little green man appeared.

Law abiding, considerate ****!

DezB
    Free Member

More and more of it? Where? By the same rider?

paulh110
    Free Member

Not hoping anything!

And I mean going through red lights when cars are stopped at the same lights waiting for them to change! Not jumping a light !

ive seen a pretty horrible video of a guy going straight through a red light and getting hit up in the air by some way , doesn’t make for good watching, I do a lot of mtbing which sometimes I have to cycle on the road sometime, and an amazed by what I sometimes see !

scotroutes

It’s all the fault of those stupid bastards that put traffic lights in the middle of Strava segments.

sirromj

Not as admirable as car drivers who overtake the first person to stop at a red light.

TheGingerOne

My view is that many urban bike riders see themselves as pedestrians on bikes. They treat red lights as a pedestrian would. I.e. You can ignore it if you wish and cross having made your own choice. Red lights are for things with engines.

I don’t agree with it, but that’s my take on their thought process.

cookeaa

Well do you stop at lights OP?

I know I do…

I expect most cyclists (nationally) actually do stop for reds…

Still nothing like general anecdotes and YouTube to build a complete and unbiased picture of how a group of road users behave…

paulh110
    Free Member

I do actually,

just after some thoughts thats all !!!!

bfjaerem
    Free Member

I think it is the motorists most common complaint about cyclists and why they are dicks.

so for every cyclist that jumps a red light that is 5 motorists that think me, my wife and children are dicks for being cyclists.

2 rights do not make a wrong cyclist should be above this sort thing just to save 30 seconds.

it really pisses me me off to see cyclist jump a light and narrowly avoid hitting a pedestrian – it just enforces the current thinking of the highway ie  fastest biggest has superiority.

it amazes me how many parents with child seats (but yet to see occupied ) think it is acceptable to jump a red light, would they teach their children that this was acceptable?

cookeaa

OK My thoughts are:

There will always be a minority of bellends in any group, leave them to it and think no more about it…

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

30 sec to stop at a set of lights isn’t going to inconvenience me any.

mooman
    Free Member

Stop at red lights – unless I can see it’s clear to go through.

Much the same as when I’m in a car.

Seems pointless waiting to give traffic coming opposite direction the right of way – if there is no traffic there.

And everyone knows cyclists don’t pay road tax – so  red lights etc don’t apply.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I would try not to let it upset you Paul, just concentrate on having fun MTBing.

tomhoward

I stop, I reckon I see more cars jump them than bikes, but then I see a lot more cars. Generally the posher the car the more likely they are to jump.

ill berate anyone who jumps them, regardless of vehicle

scaled
    Free Member

I’m aware that it’s a complete edge case, but traffic lights that don’t detect you standing there in the filter lane SO NEVER BLOODY CHANGE are a bit of a pet hate for me.

seosamh77
    Free Member

I usually don’t stop at red lights, which is interesting, cause on the ebike I do. Tis odd, but there ye go.

scotroutes

That’s because deep down you know it’s really a motorbike.

scotroutes

Anyway, I don’t cycle through red lights. I prefer to hop onto the pavement and use the pedestrian crossing.

Flaperon

Do you mean deliberately riding across the junction?  I’ll position myself at the front of the queue, and since there’s usually someone parked in the ASL box that means that I’m in often past the light when I wait.

paulh110
    Free Member

Just riding through as if they don’t mean anything, I’m by no means slating cyclists as I’m one myself, and not am I defending cars !

Just amazed by what I see (spend 8 hrs a day in a vehicle with work)  and see some crazy risks being taken.

tomhoward

I stop, I reckon I see more cars jump them than bikes, but then I see a lot more cars. Generally the posher the car the more likely they are to jump.

ill berate anyone who jumps them, regardless of vehicle

Garry_Lager

There’s a large junction in Manchester where I’d frequently get stopped at a red light on the commute home, green man on, and get passed by tens of student Teds bombing through (green man on both ways). One evening, one of them asked me why I was stopped on my bike for, because it was a toucan crossing. Felt like a spanner, never noticed the green bike symbol…

peekay

On my cycle commute there are two sets of red lights that I ignore on the way in to work.

They are at junctions with good visibility both ways, but controlled by an induction strip in the ground which doesn’t sense me/my bikes presence . At around 0600 there are very few other vehicles on the road , so I would be waiting a long, long time for the lights to change to allow me to continue. I therefore wait until the road is clear and proceed.

Other than that I stop at every red light.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I very much doubt it’s unique to Southampton, but I have lights on my cycle to work before 0700 that will not change to green for a cyclist without a car behind them wanting to go in the same direction, so I have to break the law most days by cautiously going through red lights.

These aren’t little roads either, Hill Lane and Shirley Road, from a bit later in the day they are quite busy. But that’s no good to me wanting to get to work for 0630 or 0700.

To be honest, it’s a bloody rediculous situation, traffic lights in 2018 should have sensors that can react to a cyclist waiting at a red light.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Rediculous *chuckle*

l0key
    Free Member

Don’t confuse cyclists with bike riders.

“Cyclists” ride safely and obey the rules of the road when riding on it.

“Bike riders” wear trackie bottoms and pull wheelies in front of buses and run red lights on there way to pick up some weed from there dealer.

geex
    Free Member

Don’t confuse cyclists with bike riders.

“Cyclists” ride safely and obey the rules of the road when riding on it.

“Bike riders” wear trackie bottoms non cycling gear and pull wheelies safely and in control in front of buses and run red lights on there way to pick up some weed from their dealer.

I’ve never really felt much allegiance with cyclists.

BBob PM me if you want to meet sometime.

BoardinBob

BBob PM me if you want to meet sometime.

I’d rather have a tooth extracted without anaesthetic

oldnpastit

It’s legal in the US to turn right on a red anyway.

And in Idaho, cyclists can roll through a red entirely.

https://www.bikeleague.org/content/bike-law-university-idaho-stop

And yet the sky has not fallen in, or anything bad happened, other than getting Donald Trump as president.

bails

. One evening, one of them asked me why I was stopped on my bike for, because it was a toucan crossing. Felt like a spanner, never noticed the green bike symbol…

A green bike light on a toucan is for people CROSSING the road.  If you’re riding along the road then the red traffic light still applies.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 163 total)

The topic ‘Cyclists going through red lights ?’ is closed to new replies.