Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 98 total)
  • Cyclists. Do you have a death wish ! (Roadie content)
  • landcruiser
    Free Member

I am a cyclist, and am very aware of the high profile being given to the cyclist vs motorist issues at the current time. This is further accentuated by the recently reported accidents resulting in injury and more tragically death.
    In most cases I staunchly support the plight of the people trying to enjoy their bikes amidst the hoards of mad motorists ! However, recently and most notably today,I have been witness to situations and events that make me feel embarrassed to be associated with cycling.
    I live and regularly drive around the Box Hill area, as all know this is very popular for road and mountain bikes of all abilities. Today the roads were damp and the weather was quite foggy severely reducing visibility. As I drove through the lanes in my van I was staggered at the amount of people on the road with no lights whatsoever. I was rounding corners to find (and I don’t mean once or even twice) people on road bikes on my side of the road either a few abreast or taking a line through a corner riding fast. Now they were really difficult to see and were not in general riding to suit the conditions…… Scary stuff. I did at one point when I had to come to a complete stop politely suggest the the guy involved, who looked a bit shaken, invest in some lights to assist him being visible. His response to this invaluable advice? F### Off ! The people riding with good lights were giving themselves quite a lot of time and distance advantage, they amounted to about 10% though.

I am amazed how few seem to bother !!

Sorry rant over !

jameso

New Year newbies. Resolutions to loose a stone, etc. Loads out my way today, 5 or more times usual numbers and one group of 30 odd.

Won’t last long, don’t worry.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Perhaps you should have slowed down once you realised how busy it was and knowing how popular it is?

Oh and extra points for getting in the two abreast bit as well

trail_rat
    Free Member

To be fair to the fella there was alot of fresh lycra on the roads today….. Made obvious by the roads they were riding just paralel to great quiet riding roads —- on the busy roads – you only need to cross the main roads , no need to ride along em youd have to be a bit mental to choose to do it.

ciderinsport
    Free Member

Out today off road in the new forest…

Crossing a road, heavy fog, 6 roadies, no lights…. nutters!

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

Troll

theboatman
    Free Member

Oh, another one of these threads. It makes you wonder what changed so significantly since you last drove. Perhaps the approach of 2013 has sent 90% of cyclists mental.

superfli
    Free Member

Must admit I should have had a rear light on today, a bit foolish and felt slightly vunerable on my way to local trails. Left the house after not really looking at the weather, got further into country roads and it was pretty foggy. Sometimes its just a mistake, but no need for his comment.

landcruiser
    Free Member

Ti pin : 🙄

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Lols

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I must agree with the OP. Just because its the middle of the day, it doesnt mean visibility is good!

I have a couple of sets of those little LED lights. They stay on my bike near enough all year round.

Some people are just **** stupid.

landcruiser
    Free Member

Just trying to get people to consider raising their visibility when on the road that’s all ! Excuse me for voicing an opinion on a relevant cycling issue on a cycling forum !!!

Those that think its trolling or nonsense… Get back to your ‘what tyres for?’ Threads 🙁

simmy
    Free Member

Had my lights on most of the Day between the trails, been a Pea Souper round here.

simondbarnes

Saw a stupid number of riders without lights in the thick fog when I did a loop around and over Winter Hill earlier. I just presumed that they all had a death wish. Idiots.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I only saw one road cyclist out today and he had lights.

Saw a couple of mountain bikers near nibthwaite and I dont think they had lights though (its not something you usually think of using if you go mtbing though!)

uselesshippy
    Free Member

If it was foggy, damp, etc, were you driving significantly slower?
    I drove my van round that area too today, had no problem seeing roadies.
    Eye test maybe?

highclimber
    Free Member

I ploughed into a bunch of cyclists today because I was travelling too fast to see them. they were ok about it, at least the ones who survived were, as I pointed out they didn’t have any lights on! doh! Never mind, eh. we live and learn.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

I really can’t be bothered to pull up the chair and watch the debate yet again between cyclists and drivers. Nothing changes, cars continue to kill cyclist and eek cars might get slightly scratched. Yes we should all be more considerate for our lives and the lives of others but its been debated on here so very many times its getting tiring. Yes we sjould make sure we’re more visible on foggy days to aboid death, but i dont believe any laws are broken and if they have theres no enforcement. no of which makes it any more sensibke not to be visible. yada yada yada. the usual conclusion is theres Knobs on bikes and knobs in cars. Nuff said.

Edit: love predictive text 😉

slugwash
    Free Member

New Year newbies. Resolutions to loose a stone, etc. Loads out my way today, 5 or more times usual numbers and one group of 30 odd.

Won’t last long, don’t worry.

I’m guessing that the time trialists who use the A38 in all weathers are a bit more than New Year newbies. Some have bright coloured tops which, unfortunately, are hidden from upcoming motorists by the fact they’re bent over the bars. A pair of yellow shorts or a flashing LED on the seatpost (very little weight penalty) might make them a bit more visible in the fog or half light.

I’ve see several soberly dresses cyclists out on the misty Devon roads this weekend who could’ve improved their visibility to more lethal traffic by not wearing black or having some sort of lights.

I’ve got a couple of road riding friends who like to camouflage themselves in trendy black or grey cycling apparel (with a trendy logo & a little pink band on the sleeve). People can’t be told though. Roadies* in denial 🙄 They’d rather polarise the motorist/cyclist debate than take any personal responsibility for making them selves more obvious out on the tarmac.

Cheers,

yer man in the fluoro tabard,

Rich.

*(and many other kinds of cyclist)

oldgit
    Free Member

Just trying to get people to consider raising their visibility when on the road that’s all ! Excuse me for voicing an opinion on a relevant cycling issue on a cycling forum !!!

Having an opinion, you know an opinion, like your opinion, an opinion which is yours is illegal on here.
    Saw loads today on the way to racing, thick fog and no lights, and shorts SHORTS!
    Bet they never had pumps either.
    mleh.

cynic-al
    Free Member

What TPM said.

Unless there’s a legal duty on cyclists to use lights in fog then the duty is on drivers to drive according to the conditions.

bagpuss
    Free Member

‘legal duty’ v’s ‘common sense’.

Rscott
    Free Member

It is every road users responsibility to make them self’s visible.

Drivers need to drive to the conditions, but we as cyclist should have the ounce to have some lights if we are going to go out in fog low visibility.

I was out on the Ped today and saw a cyclist, cutting a blind corner in very thick fog. even if the car was doing 2mph he wouldnt have seen the cyclist, and in the opinion of people like cynic-al he would be in the right.

Every road user should take responsibility for themselfs and others.

oldgit
    Free Member

slugwash, lots of testers use powerful LEDs, which is nice.

They’re so cheap, powerful and light that just about every rider I know or see has one on at all times. See motorists might not be that fond of cyclists, but they love pretty lights.

oldgit
    Free Member

I think this Sunday was ‘special Sunday’.

tonyg2003

I did 40miles solo on the roadbike this morning over the Surrey Hills and up on the tops the visability was very poor at times. Everyone – cyclists and car drivers – should have had lights on. I did and was very glad.

svalgis
    Free Member

Unless there’s a legal duty on cyclists to use lights in fog then the duty is on drivers to drive according to the conditions.

Doesn’t really matter if you’re right or wrong when you’re dead though, does it.

Rscott
    Free Member

I also think that some of the poeple on here should read this

https://www.gov.uk/rules-for-cyclists-59-to-82/overview-59-to-71

cynic-al
    Free Member

Rscott – Member

I was out on the Ped today and saw a cyclist, cutting a blind corner in very thick fog. even if the car was doing 2mph he wouldnt have seen the cyclist, and in the opinion of people like cynic-al he would be in the right.

The cyclist was on the wrong side of the road? Where did I condone that?

svalgis – Member
    Doesn’t really matter if you’re right or wrong when you’re dead though, does it.

Indeed but the law as I understand it does not require cyclists to use lights, and I for one don’t want to create a culture where the blamne is shifted from drivers to cyclists (see helmet use).

Also as I understand it there is no duty on cyclists to wear bright clothing, as regards contributory negligence, in RTCs – from caselaw, and in spite of the HC link above.

titusrider
    Free Member

My mate and I were out around the surrey lanes today.

Both keep rear lights on the road bike all the time. My mates was out of battery, should have checked before we set out but then it wasn’t obviously foggy at my place. I wished id had a front light on tbh.

I guess my point is that I guess a lot of the riders without lights probably wished they did have them

jameso

I’m guessing that the time trialists who use the A38 in all weathers are a bit more than New Year newbies.

Sure.. sorry, flippant 1st reply from me. As for hi-viz and day-lights and making yourself more obvious, it’s up to the rider if they feel safer that way but it’s a slippery-slope topic )

There’s common sense and reasonable precautions as a road user, and there’s blame-shifting.

Rscott
    Free Member

cynic-al I appologise you didn’t condone that at all. But your post does seem to suggest that it isn’t a cyclist responsibility to make them self’s visable

superfli
    Free Member

lol! cynic-al! Really? Are you more concerned about legalities than your own safety? It wont mean jack sh*te when you are in hospital, whos fault it was! Riding m/bikes everyday and you’ll realise that you should do whatever it takes to avoid having an accident – I dont care who’s bl**dy fault an accident is!

deviant
    Free Member

The highway code advises all road users to wear hi-vis or reflective clothing in poor visibility, that applies to walkers, horse riders, cyclists….and cars should have lights on too.

If somebody is out in crappy weather and dressed in dark clothing when hit by another road user then i have very little sympathy, you cant help people who wont help themselves.

cheers_drive

Unless I missed this the OP wasn’t complaining about the cyclists being selfish or holding them but was commenting on how stupid it is not to make yourself visible in poor conditions.

cynic-al – Member
    What TPM said.

What’s legal and what’s sensible / safe are completely different things.

As always all road users need to be considerate and sensible.
    Written as a mountain biker, roadie, and driver.

Weasel
    Free Member

When I woke up at 8 it was misty, then cleared by 10am when I finally left the house.

My intention was to stay off road but due to the quagmire went back on road, needless to say the conditions were misty 6 miles from home and I only had my rear light.

In hindsight should have taken my front light ‘just in case’

glen815
    Free Member

Cumbrianmonkey makes a very valid point.

mattjg
    Free Member

@OP and while we’re at it what’s with them riding down the A24 in Leatherhead direction instead of using the cycle path alongside. Bloody idiots! And how much fun can that be, on a busy dual carriageway with traffic buzzing past continuously.

I don’t get it at all. Like you say, deathwish.

(Aside: I drove the same area today, as the OP says it was a salutary lesson in how lights and/or bright clothing help raise the odds of rider survival. Perhaps it shouldn’t be that way, but it is).

souldrummer
    Free Member

I saw loads more riders than usual out this morning and like others have said very few had any form of lights on or bright clothing. I know I am slightly paranoid about riding with lights on in iffy conditions (and I always keep a rear light on at all times) but why would anyone think it a good idea to set off in the early morning when it’s foggy and drizzly and not put lights on. As some have said, we expect drivers to be aware of the condiitons and conduct themsleves accordingly but in the same way as I expect drivers to see and be seen shouldn’t we as cyclists do the same?

richpips
    Free Member

We drove 90 miles today, all of the journey in various thicknesses of fog, and all bar one of the cyclists we saw had no lights.

Most of the roads we were on were 50 speed limit too.

Mentalists.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 98 total)

The topic ‘Cyclists. Do you have a death wish ! (Roadie content)’ is closed to new replies.