Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Cyclists Dismount
  • billytinkle
    Free Member

Noticed a new sign on a patch of road works today, it stated ‘Cyclists Dimount Cycle Lane Removed’.

I found this a bit odd, it’s only one of these red cycle paths that is painted on to the road. Surely I’m still allowed to use the road aren’t I? Please?

ads678

have you paid your tax?

😉

zilog6128

In order to keep everybody happy, you should dismount and walk your bike along the (middle of) the road.

dave360

Is there one that says “car drivers get out and push” ?

marcus
    Free Member

Is it in Nottingham, near the bus station. If so, I saw it the other day. I can only assume its arse covering by he Contractor in case you fall off on his ‘temporary’ road surface, raised ironwork, etc.

brakes
    Free Member

I’ve seen this a few times and duly ignored it and ridden in the road.
    on the other hand, it’s nice to be recognised.

billytinkle
    Free Member

Not in Nottingham – down south in Kent on the A20.

njee20
    Free Member

There’s a sign in Merton (where the left lane which is bus/bike is shut) that says something like “No overtaking bikes, cycle lane out of use”, which I was actually reasonably impressed with. Moreover it seems to be adhered to!

bails

Yes, you can still use the road. They’re just advisory signs with no legal weight to them.

TomB

Saw one in Cosham, Pompey, where the road was narrowed by road works. Signs telling cyclists to use centre of lane, and no overtaking cyclists by motor vehicles. I was impressed!

fasgadh
    Free Member

They are useful signs as they tell you that there is a cycle path there.

For really mental over use of these horrid things look at the A5 east of Nesscliffe or the NCN1 where it follows the A92 to Arbroath. Every tiny side road has one.

D0NK

Signs telling cyclists to use centre of lane, and no overtaking cyclists by motor vehicles.

never seen these in NW england, good idea.

miketually
    Free Member

The blue rectangles are advisory.

They’re also, stupid, pointless and reinforce drivers’ perceptions that bikes shouldn’t be there.

They’re code for “the highways engineer who designed this couldn’t be arsed to sort out a proper solution”.

bencooper
    Free Member

Is there one that says “car drivers get out and push” ?

crispy
    Free Member

On the A20 at the station road junction in Ditton heading towards Maidstone?

I pondered that too, for a moment. Decided they were idiots and carried on.

MrAgreeable

Blue signs = no legal force, advisory only. Of course if you try to explain this to someone tutting at you, you immediately sound like an uppity bellend.

garage-dweller

I always think Portsmouth makes a decent go of getting things right for cyclists. The council doesn’t always succeed but you get the impression that it is at least slightly willing. 10/10 for sign referred to above.

GrahamS

Advisory only as other people have said:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXjpTwWwIJQ[/video]

To me a “Cyclists Dismount” sign means a traffic engineer somewhere has said “Oh this is all far too hard isn’t it? I give up.”

They should really say “Cyclists Rejoin Carriageway” or something but no doubt there are legal issues with advising that.

billytinkle
    Free Member

That’s the one Crispy. The only thing that saddens me about it is the further enforcement that cyclists shouldn’t be on the road 🙁

mrmo
    Free Member

and

The first is an instruction in any drivers head, the second is guidance? Do you really think many people understand that the second is not an instruction?

Stupid badly thought out sign that serves no purpose!!!!

sbob
    Free Member

Mr Agreeable – Member

Blue signs = no legal force, advisory only

The sign in question may be advisory, but your premise is completely wrong.

trail_rat
    Free Member

am i the only one who reads the thread title in an “autobots transform” type voice ?

GrahamS

Highway Code road signs guidance says that blue signs are “Signs with blue circles but no red border mostly give positive instruction. “

But then it doesn’t actually list the Cyclists Dismount sign 🙄

Speaking of useless signs – why is it some “Not Permitted” signs have a red circle and a line through them and some just have a red circle?

e.g. No U Turn versus No Cycling or No Motor Vehicles

pdw
    Free Member

Such signs are against DfT guidance. See http://assets.dft.gov.uk/publications/tal-15-99/tal-15-99.pdf:

Where access is permitted for motor vehicles, “Cyclist Dismount” signs should not be used. […] The only situation where cyclists should be advised to dismount is where the carriageway is closed off but the footway remains open. In such cases a white-on-red
    temporary sign “CYCLISTS DISMOUNT AND USE FOOTWAY” may be used.

These signs are menace as whilst you may know that they’re only advisory, plenty of drivers will simply see yet another cyclist breaking yet another rule.

I’ve pestered my local council repeatedly on this issue, and whilst they usually fix it at the time, it doesn’t stop them or their contractors doing exactly the same thing next time.

mrmo
    Free Member

@pdw, thanks for that will remember that the dismount signs are against guidance and contact the local council about there use.

bails

Signs with blue circles but no red border mostly give positive instruction. “

But then it doesn’t actually list the Cyclists Dismount signAre there any round ones? I think I’ve only seen rectangles.

GrahamS

That’s presumably because it’s not a “positive instruction” ❓ 😕

aracer
    Free Member

Sorry I came to this thread late (but my opinion is really important and you wouldn’t want to miss it 😉 )

To me a “Cyclists Dismount” sign means a traffic engineer somewhere has said “Oh this is all far too hard isn’t it? I give up.”

In my head I always translate “cyclists dismount” as “I can’t do my job properly”.

GrahamS

I’d love to see the same engineers replace roundabouts and traffic lights with signs that said:
    “Just Slow Down and Watch Where You Are Going” 😀

martymac

i was under the impression that square or rectangular signs were information,ie london 250 miles or whatever
    triangle signs to warn of a hazard, ie give way
    round signs are an instruction, ie 30mph or suchlike.
    whatever, there are far too many signs in general, the example above is actually ridiculous.
    i could be wrong like.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Dismount signs like that I always take as advisory just like footpath & no cycles. 😀

Generally I assess it and decide if I’m going to be riding into people or more often than not it’s clear and no one about so I go ahead. I do that around locks and bridges on canals where the signs say to dismount but if there’s no one there it’s safe to go in my book. Sure if it’s a busy day with loads of families walking there then I’ll get off. I may even consider taking a bell just to stop them moaning (though they jump out of their skin and give me a dirty look if I ring the bell).

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Cyclists Dismount’ is closed to new replies.