Cyclists are nothing

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • Cyclists are nothing
  • Mister P

My ride this morning was not a good one and I really wish I hadn’t ridden. I left home around 6.30am and it was cold but not ridiculous. As I got out of town an onto the country lanes it got increasingly slippery to the point where I had to get off and walk. A chap on an e-bike with much wider tyres than my 25mm came past and I thought “blimey, he’s doing alright”. Then he must have touched an ice patch and he was on the floor. The car behind him simply drove around him, as did the 3 behind. Not a thought to stop and check he was ok. Do cyclists really mean so little in the eyes of drivers? Or is it that no-one gives a damn about others these days? I wished I had been driving as I would have offered him a lift to wherever he was going.

Premier Icon matt_outandabout
    Subscriber

I think most folk just do not give a thought to anyone else.

Particularly when they are in a warmed steel box, on a comfy seat trying to listen to the radio.

ton

matt is correct.
    once inside their car most folk just become total ****. with no thought for anyone or anything else.

shedbrewed

If it helps you out I stopped whilst driving my car for a lass who’s car had broken down at a set of temporary traffic lights. Given the lights had been red for a while it was only when the three cars between me and her drove around her and away that I could see she was in trouble and stopped. That’s three individual people who all saw the same thing and decided not to do anything.
    Some people are just selfish.
    Try not to be those people.

Premier Icon stevie750
    Subscriber

could have been a pregnant woman or a pensioner falling on the pavement and they still would have driven on, most people just don’t care these days

Premier Icon w00dster
    Subscriber

Very similar happened to me outside a train station, came off rather hard on a diesel spill at a roundabout. I was lying on the inside lane of the roundabout, fair amount of claret spilled, cars and pedestrians left me to it. This is outside a busy train station during rush hour commuting time. The cars just drove around me, even getting themselves into a bit of a mess as they were having to move from the inside to the outside lane to avoid me.
    I wasn’t badly hurt, but took a couple of moments to sort my head out. One pedestrian did come and help me by picking up my bike and asking if I was ok.
    I don’t think people didn’t care because I was a cyclist, more that I was an inconvenience to them (but one who happened to be on a bike).

Klunk

Mountain bikers are the same. When my wife smashed her collar bone they rode past and ignored us head down as if we weren’t even there. Shits everywhere.

Premier Icon oldnpastit
    Subscriber

The last time I fell off on black ice the car behind me stopped to check I was ok.

Maybe where you live the locals are just much more selfish than Cambridgeshire.

Premier Icon Bez
    Subscriber

A good few years ago I came into a roundabout a little fast on a wintry commute and the bike slid out under me. It’s vanishingly rare I lose the bike but I’d come in a little too fast with someone driving up my chuff, and it was one of those days when it had been dry for a while and overnight rain had lifted the oils on the surface, maybe even a bit of diesel, so by the time the rippled surface (thanks HGVs) came into play as well it was a perfect storm. Another lesson learned.

I hit the ground quite hard towards the middle of the roundabout and the bike slid off to the outside. Not only did no-one stop to check I was alright, but everyone was more concerned with getting through the roundabout and driving between me and the bike, I couldn’t even get up off the floor straight away because I was being passed so closely.

I’m always unhappily fascinated by the sheer extent of the psychological effect that sitting in a closed box has on people; you only have to look at the videos of people driving past bin lorries on the pavement or read the emergency services’ tales of abuse they get when attending crashes to get a picture of it. And of course it’s doubly problematic when that same box is a potent danger to anyone outside of it.

A few months back I witnessed the most slow speed crash I have ever seen. It was between a car and a motorbike and needless to say the biker hit the deck. He was quick to his feet and the woman in the car helped him out. I on the other hand did not deviate from my route home and took the left turn just before the incident. Almost every time I drive past where the incident happened it crosses my mind and i feel pretty disgusted at myself for not offering assistance.

I hope that all of those people who drove on by why the cyclist was on the ground feel just a shred of the remorse I feel and they wont think twice next time they see someone in need of help.

philjunior

Mountain bikers are the same. When my wife smashed her collar bone they rode past and ignored us head down as if we weren’t even there. Shits everywhere.

It’s a bit different ignoring someone who’s fallen on their own in the street though isn’t it?

I would still have asked if you needed anything but I would’ve felt I was intruding to do more, if somebody (you, I presume) was already helping her.

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

Weird isn’t it?

People are actually generally quite nice and will help strangers, but cars seem to have a strange dampening effect on that empathy – or create a barrier to it.

Maybe people are half on autopilot and half thinking “oh well, I can’t help because I’m in my car and I don’t know where to stop” or whatever?

Klunk

It’s a bit different ignoring someone who’s fallen on their own in the street though isn’t it?

I would still have asked if you needed anything but I would’ve felt I was intruding to do more, if somebody (you, I presume) was already helping her

except I was asking for help as they came past. Ingoring some asking for help is pretty shitty.

It’s not new though. I did the same as Bez on the Haymarket roundabout in Newcastle in about 1983 in daytime, light rain after a dry period, heavy bus route and was like an ice rink. Came down hard, smashed my lights (bits of plastic and Ever Ready D cells across the road) and was dazed/stuck in the bike. No cars or buses stopped and no pedestrians (busy route next to university) took any notice.

6 of us last night at 11.30 fixing a puncture on a country road, young girl in a Fiat 500 stopped and asked if we were all ok-thanks if you were a cyclist yourself, it’s not all bad out there. Whittlesford near Cambridge by the way.

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

It is possible that since you were there, OP, people thought the situation was in hand. I’ve often seen incidents and driven/ridden/walked on because there are already people helping, and no-one needs a crowd of people all interfering. It might not have occurred to people that the guy would have needed a lift – you can’t blame people for being dim, at least not too much.

I’m always unhappily fascinated by the sheer extent of the psychological effect that sitting in a closed box has on people

This however is true. People are total arseholes in cars. They are antisocial and aggressive, but when the very same people get out of the car and go round the shops they are all polite and nice. It’s because having someone physically present and looking at you does something to your brain and you switch modes. Same reason people are such arseholes online.

Premier Icon leffeboy
    Subscriber

It is possible that since you were there, OP, people thought the situation was in hand

That’s probably very true.  In general though I’m not sure it is quite so bad.  I’ve stopped to pick up cyclists pushing their bikes before (punctures/no stuff) and I was helped by a driver when I dropped my bike on ice.  I think I’m a bit more hopeful otherwise it would get depressing very fast

Premier Icon stevie750
    Subscriber

except I was asking for help as they came past. Ingoring some asking for help is pretty shitty.

That is awful , not stopping for someone asking for help is more than pretty shitty

plus one

Came off at a roundabout few years back on my commute. I was mindful to get up off road sharpish to avoid being run over. hearing car slow down I looked round and the look of disdain I got for holding them up momentarily made me fear for the human race 🙁

Premier Icon I_did_dab
    Subscriber

it’s not just cyclists. I’m sick of motorists accelerating at me or trying to cut around me when I’m crossing the road on foot. Apparently I’m supposed to dodge them even though i have right of way.

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

Reminds me of the crash that happened in front of me earlier in the year (no cyclists involved). Car pulled out of the junction into a 40mph limit road, must’ve thought the car coming was turning left, but no – t-boned them without any chance to slow down. I was about 4th in the queue of cars and was the only one to get out to go n see if all were ok. The rest just sat there gawping until I gestured to them to come and help.

Premier Icon Bez
    Subscriber

Yup. A few years ago I was in my car behind another driver who drove into the side of someone on a bike, sending them flying (no significant injuries apparent at the time, fortunately).

I stopped and got out to check they were ok (the driver in front clearly having stopped anyway, and there were two lanes so the other one was still unobstructed) and a few seconds later got an earful of yelling from a Transit driver because YOU $%£^ YOU HAVENT PUT YOUR £%&$ HAZARDS ON before he buggered off in the perfectly functional lane alongside.

Mind you, that’s nothing to the violent torrent of abuse I saw a woman subjected to in Steyning once, face-to face through an open window with her child in the car, by a lorry driver who had driven up a narrow lane marked “unsuitable for HGVs” at each end and aggressively forced her to reverse out of it, staying about an inch off her front bumper as she tried to do so. I mean, I’ve seen some rants but I’ve never seen or heard anything quite like this; I was regrettably frozen to the spot with a slack jaw and didn’t think to take his plate and phone his employer.

I was on the bike nearby at the time, about to head down the same road, and I suspect that had he been faced with a male “cyclist”, rather than a mum with her child in a big tin box, he would have gone straight to physical assault.

retro83

matt_outandabout

Subscriber

I think most folk just do not give a thought to anyone else.

I don’t think they do it on purpose. A lot of people are simply drudgeons that operate on some kind of reactive NEED THIS -> DO THAT process, almost like an automatic reflex.

HUNGRY -> NEED SANDWICH -> GET IN CAR -> THING IN WAY -> DRIVE ROUND THING -> GET SANDWICH -> EAT SANDWICH

There’s no thinking involved.
    Honestly just watch next time you’re in a supermarket, many people will completely block an aisle with their trolley then act completely surprised that somebody wants to get through.

The flip side to all this is the significant amount of people who really go above and beyond to help. I binned it once after hitting the edge of a pothole and so many people stopped to help, offered to give me a lift back home etc it got pretty embarrassing. Especially as all I’d done is got a bit winded and taken a whack to the gooch from the nose of the saddle when I slipped off the pedal.

stevious

Just to take away from the doom and gloom for a moment, when I crashed into the back of a tractor and knocked myself unconscious at least 4 people* stopped their cars to sort me & direct traffic until an ambulance came. One guy took my bike to the bike shop to get fixed and another came to the hospital to return some of my belongings that spilled on the road. Someone put their coat under me to keep me warm despite all the blood, and another managed to call my work and get them to contact my wife for me.

I think about the kindness shown to me by those strangers a lot.

*I think. Most of the memories were smashed out of my head.

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

For balance I also have been helped by strangers having come off the bike. And I’ve seen lots of people helping others at car accidents etc, so it does happen.

But not enough. Once my car conked out on a roundabout (no, not that car) and I had to try and push it from the inside lane. No **** stopped to help me push, but even worse no-one even slowed down to allow me to push my own car to the verge. I was in their way, and yet they wouldn’t even let me get myself out of their way. FFS.

st4nley

This is exactly what happened to us, 12 mountain bikers road past my wife after she broke her shoulder, covered in blood after coming off her bike in Wales, I was ahead of her and waiting, 12 riders came out of the section then my wife pushing her bike while struggling to hold her arm up.we on the other hand have helped others with first aid when we’ve seen them come off there bikes.

globalti

Never hit a car but when I crashed last August and broke my CB and some ribs my supposed cycling buddies just prodded me; said “Yeah, collar bone. Can you ride home?” and then once we reached a local cafe (courtesy of a marshall who was at the corner for a BC race and drove me there in his car) they allowed me to sit shivering and in shock then made me pay for the coffees. Three of our respective wives were disgusted at their lack of care and I don’t ride with them any more.

I do carry a spare road inner tube in the car and certainly will when I move to Scotland as distances are big there. Have stopped a couple of times for cyclists and even gave one a lift home where his wife was standing on the doorstep tapping her foot and demanding loudly: “Okay – so what’s he done THIS time?”

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

So were all these MTB **** experiences at trail centres?

You do tend to get unsocial groups of bell ends at them, I’ve noticed. Wouldn’t be surprised to hear some had ridden past an injured rider to make sure they were dropping into the next descent first.

Bit like the drivers being too fixated on getting to/from work to stop, perhaps?

Premier Icon Bez
    Subscriber

I don’t ride with them any more

No shit! What a bunch of dicks.

Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

Mountain bikers are the same.

Thats generalist BS.  When I was knocked off at speed in Exmoor 2018, despite the fact the cock went “you alright mate?” before riding off whilst I had blood spurting out of my arm and knee, 4-5 riders behind me all stopped to help.

Please don’t tar everyone with the same brush.

Premier Icon crazy-legs
    Subscriber

I do carry a spare road inner tube in the car and certainly will when I move to Scotland as distances are big there. Have stopped a couple of times for cyclists and even gave one a lift home where his wife was standing on the doorstep tapping her foot and demanding loudly: “Okay – so what’s he done THIS time?”

I’ve stopped a few times in the car for stranded cyclists. Usually if I’m driving I’ve got the bike (and associated toolkit, spares etc) with me as I’ll either be going to or from a ride.

Stopped once on Cragg Vale in fairly rubbish conditions by two cyclists who were freezing cold after fixing a puncture. They nearly cried with relief when I got the track pump out of the boot!

If I’m driving and see a rider in that sort of situation I’ll always stop if I can. Felt bad once when I couldn’t find any layby, junction etc and had a car right up my arse. By the time I found somewhere safe to pull in I was about 2 miles past the rider… Oops.

People are total arseholes in cars. They are antisocial and aggressive, but when the very same people get out of the car and go round the shops they are all polite and nice. It

For some, that’s true. Some stay the same arsehole. Depends how impervious they feel when they are out of their car. The car makes them feel invulnerable, as does the internet. Doesn’t affect everyone the same way.

On the upside no one had a commute worse than this guy

https://mobile.twitter.com/blogTO/status/1199023791055265793

Premier Icon rOcKeTdOg
    Subscriber

Last time I came off on black ice the car behind pulled up alongside, wound the window down and said “watch out mate, lots of black ice about” then drove away. I was to flabbergasted to come up with a witty retort

st4nley

Thats generalist BS.

No they were definitely Mountain Bikers.

Didn’t say ALL.

Klunk

Thats generalist BS.

Yep Mountain Bikers are as shitty, uncaring and selfish as car drivers who are as shitty,uncaring and selfish as a typical brit.

theboatman

About two years ago my rear hub fell apart on a road ride, I was out near mam for and about 19 miles from home, so had a long walk ahead. It was a sunday afternoon and plenty of cars and cyclists went past without appearing to notice me walking along the side of the road. Then a van driver stopped asked what was up, he was heading to Manchester but detoured in the opposite direction to get me home, he was certainly no cyclist and wouldn’t take any cash for fuel or his trouble. Proper nice fellow. Being a good human has very little to do with the mode of transport one uses, imo.

joemmo

I came off my bike in the wet on a roundabout, a human driving a car stopped their car and got out to check I was ok, which I was. So that was nice.

timmycee

Echoing people’s sentiments on not helping when asked.. First time i broke my arm, 10 years old, come off my bike down a back lane near home. Cut up face, missing tooth, wrist had a rather gruesome kink in it. Flagged down a passing local paper delivery van, who refused to help and drove off because he had a “schedule to keep”. Shitty human.

It’s been a while since I hit the deck hard in public. Was on some slimey slabs near a leisure centre. Body made a big slap as it was a very fast conversion from ‘upright’ to ‘flat’. Bike frame dented my shin like a weird ice-cream scoop. I lay thee for a small while, mildly shocked and stunned There were some expected giggles from a bunch of youths. A few disinterested drivers avoided my head, bless em
    Expect nothing, enjoy life. Give what you’d love to receive.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.