Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Cyclist / Mercedes Van Collision ..
  • hodgynd
    Free Member

I’ve read this a couple of times and can’t get my head around it ..

The driver has collided with the cyclist by going straight on in a left only turn lane ..for that to happen surely the cyclist must have gone straight on too ..am I missing something?

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/cyclist-hits-mercedes-with-bike-after-driver-goes-straight-on-in-left-turn-only-lane/ar-BBOQdh0

martinhutch

I’m assuming that he undertook/carved up the bike who was outside him in the correct lane, and that this line is reversed, and is the cyclist talking:

You spend every morning looking at cars,” the driver tells the cyclist, who replies: “that is a left turn only for you” as he launches into a string of expletives.

Still, is there some actual dashcam out there? I’m guessing the Merc driver only published the bit which showed the cyclist kicking off.

cynic-al
    Free Member

“Cyclist hits….”

TBF that’s accurate in one sense!

If the cyclist was in the correct (2nd) lane then the Merc may have cut him up from the inside when going straight on.

DezB
    Free Member

Could’ve been in front/behind/on the right of the van. Who knows with such shoddy writing.

(Seen video – he was on the right)

martinhutch

Oh well, I take it all back. Bit of shit, selfish driving, pointless row between two dicks and some criminal damage.

Hopefully the cops will book both of them.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Mehhhh, they both come across as grade A self entitled bell ends.

Taxi driver thought he could push his way to the front of the traffic. Cyclist got wound up over what really was nothing, if he’d held his lane upto the parked cars the taxi would have just filtered behind him, it’s not like the taxi was forcing him to move, he pulled in front of the taxi first!

winston
    Free Member

I think the cyclist was more pissed off with the merc pulling over in front of him and stopping. Even so some proper hardcore finger pointing going on. I guess he was pretty stressed about general stuff and it all came out when confronted with that poor driving. Saw plenty of that type of confrontation when I used to commute in the City – everyone is a bit tightly strung. Only difference is now there are cams everywhere.

njee20
    Free Member

He passed behind the cyclist, who gave him a load of abuse for a traffic violation which didn’t really impact him. Van driver then cut him up when pulling over. Both dicks, cyclist slightly more so I’d say. Why the **** are people so angry? If you hurl abuse at every driver who has a minor transgression then you must be hoarse by the time you finish your journey!

DezB
    Free Member

I guess he was pretty stressed about general stuff

I’d guess riding a bike in amongst London* traffic would do that to you. I know it would me.

*(I think)

winston
    Free Member

@DezB    I used to love cycling in London – it was a great stressbuster as it really makes you concentrate and you can’t worry about anything else….but then I’m not the angry type so when I saw bad driving I just let it slide or maybe just a look of blue steel!

DezB
    Free Member

Depends how dangerous it is really (the driving) – no point ranting at someone who hasn’t actually caused you any trouble. Like this case…  or maybe, just maybe the reason the cyclist looked over his shoulder to see what the van was doing was because something had happened earlier in their journey…

njee20
    Free Member

I don’t find riding in London at all stressful. You have to concentrate, for sure, but I’ve literally never shouted at a driver, what’s the point!? Like I say, if you go looking for minor transgressions you’re just going to shout yourself into a heart attack!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I just treated it like walking down the pavement, you wouldn’t barge people out to the way, and you wouldn’t shout at people for minor irritations,

Besides, once you’re off the main roads it’s often quieter than the average village street. London is built like 30 towns bunched together, so traffic is horrendous because people want to drive from Richmond to Westminster, through hammersmith and kensington which clogs the main roads. Meanwhile as a result no one actually drives around Kensington and the roads are deserted. So if you’re not in a hurry and don’t need to use the main arteries, commuting could be quite laid back and fun.

kayak23

Seemed to be the cyclist being a Richard here to me. Obviously has some pent up rage in there, something a lot of us have these days tackling the roads.

I had a van try to force past me on a single track lane the other day. So nearly squashed me that I slapped the side of his van. He then swerved in front of me, got out and got all up in my grille just like that.

Not pleasant.

scaredypants

Made me wonder if there was some history between them, either that day or previously – cyclist was inordinately cross about something that happened behind him.  After that, “when bellends meet”, the usual refusal to back down or be remotely reasonable about it on either side

(can’t believe that cyclist isn’t a go-pro toting youtube vigilante, though)

Mister-P
    Free Member

I love the way the price of the car is featured.

Both dicks and not doing the image of cyclists any good at all.

crazy-legs

Both dicks and not doing the image of cyclists Mercedes drivers any good at all.

FTFY.

Both are in the wrong, the driver more so as he’s deliberately using a left turn only lane to gain time on the traffic around him. The cyclist howveer didn’t need to react at all because the move didn’t seem to endanger him (although maybe the camera angle is decieving and it was actually quite a close pass?). From the comments, it sounds like the cyclist has witnessed that behaviour at that junction on previous occasions – maybe not from that car/driver but certainly seen the lane being used wrongly.

DezB
    Free Member

It does mean he’s got to keep looking behind and take extra precautions after the junction in case some bellend doesn’t let him back across the lane.

I have a similar spot (well, nothing like London traffic!) where it’s a red painted cycle lane, but I can guaranfarkingtee every morning a vehicle will ignore that and drive on the cycle lane, or even turn left across it. It annoys me more than most other things on my ride, just because it’s so common. I WILL THROW my bike at someone ONE DAY! ARGH

winston
    Free Member

Repeat offending at the same junction but by different cars witnessed everyday can build up annoyance.

Driving home everyday I come up to a roundabout which always has a few cars in the left lane(only 3 or 4) backed up turning left or going straight on as they wait for the roundabout to clear which rarely takes more than 30 seconds. The right lane is always empty as people never go right on this junction. Almost everyday some joker thinks its clever to swing into the right lane and ‘overtake’ the 3-4 cars to go straight on cutting up whichever car is in the roundabout and going straight on themselves but in the proper (left) lane and sometimes causing someone coming from the left to brake hard as they think the car in the right lane is turning right.

When you see this once you probably don’t think about it – when you see it a few times you sigh….when you see it almost every day you get really annoyed!

Mister-P
    Free Member

It didn’t need fixing. Yes, the Merc uses the wrong lane. However the cyclist escalates the situation to criminal damage.

Speeder

While I’m not condoning the actions of the cyclist, the driver was the one to overtake and drive alongside for a good distance and carry on an argument with the rider (while not really paying attention to the road ahead) and then pulled over to remonstrate with the rider.

In the footage (the only evidence we have) the only person that did anything wrong up to the point of the confrontation was the driver and there was obviously history between the 2, either immediately before or on previous occasions (from the subtitles). Based on that and that there’s only one lethal weapon involved (the £56k!!?? (who cares!)  minivan) I give the cyclist the benefit. Tough **** to the driver, he escalated it instead of holding his hand up and letting it go.

Love that the media are trotting out the usual evil militant cyclist carp again.  Lazy decisive and ultimately it will lead to a gammon killing a cyclist on purpose to “learn em”.

ton

if the cyclist had been poking his finger in my face, he would have regretted his actions.

when cycling in a busy city (i do daily) you have the accept things like this daily and kinda roll with it.

otherwise you end up like the cyclist here.

fossy

Both knobs

Superficial
    Free Member

Yeah, both knobs.  The driver does pull beside the bike and drives alongside for a while (slower than the traffic dictates) so he can continue the argument (when he’s clearly in the wrong).  He then clearly (at 0.40 in the video above) pulls to the left side to sandwich the rider between himself and a parked van.

So yeah, they’re both dicks.  The cyclist needs to chill and not start pointless arguments with tossers, but the van driver was the one who used his 2 ton (£56k!) van as a weapon of intimidation (even if there was probably no real intent to actually maim the rider).

Personally, I hope the van driver gets prosecuted as a result of his own video.  That would be delicious.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Cyclist / Mercedes Van Collision ..’ is closed to new replies.