• This topic has 244 replies, 89 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by igm.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 245 total)
  • Cyclist knocked off his bike and abused
  • prezet
    Free Member

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/bike-blog/video/2013/aug/08/nottingham-police-cyclist-video

Please explain to me how the police came to the conclusion that this incident was partly the cyclists fault?

tinybits
    Free Member

Id have a go if your link worked?

galactus
    Free Member

Yep linky not working..

DezB
    Free Member

I cannot answer that question.

z1ppy
    duntstick
    Free Member

Well in z1ppy

DezB
    Free Member

tinybits – Member
    Id have a go if your link worked?

Go on then. Have a go..!

prezet
    Free Member
    kevin1911

Unbelievable. Would love to know how they came to that conclusion

traildog
    Free Member

Party his fault in that he was riding a bike on the road? That really is shocking IMO

hora
    Free Member

Classic case of car trying to go inside a traffic island at the sametime as a cyclist.

How is it the cyclists fault? EVERYTIME I approach a traffic island I have to literally ensure a car doesn’t try blatting ahead to then squeeze into the kerb by using road positioning/hand signal (i.e. indicate right) OR ‘hold there’ signal.

If he/a car did hit me there. Its one of those (Rare) situations that if the motorist didn’t immediately apologise I’d do abit of road rage myself.

wwaswas

Times like this I wish that the police were more open about the decision making processes that they go through.

anagallis_arvensis

The Police are moronic **** would be my best guess

ton

looked like he was riding pretty far out from the kerb, also rode straight out at junction onto main road.

also, why do people have video camera’s on when riding on the road.
    blame/claim culture perhaps?

prezet
    Free Member

They ride with cameras for evidence in case of such an incident – with the hope it’ll show who’s to actually blame. In this case it didn’t seem to make any difference.

kevin1911

Maybe on the assumption that without video evidence, more accidents would be blamed on the cyclist?

ton

blame/claim culture then yeah?

anagallis_arvensis

looked like he was riding pretty far out from the kerb,

his positioning is up to him and given the road was fine

also rode straight out at junction onto main road.

was nothing to do with it

trail_rat
    Free Member

“looked like he was riding pretty far out from the kerb, also rode straight out at junction onto main road.

no not blame/claim culture certainly not on the cyclists front BLAME yes … . blame the car driver. – because people have no respect for others.

and if im honest – i am thinking of fitting front and rear cameras to my car for similar reasons – hell id put them on a motorbike too if i had one.

also at traffic islands like that which i encounter 5 or 6 of on my commute i ride very far out from the kerb ensuring a car cannot go through with me as there is no room (and there are signs on them saying “Do not overtake cyclists here”)

ton

also, from the video, you could not see where he was on the road, or where the car was also.
    did he swerve to miss a pothole? who knows.

scotroutes

Looked to me like he was too close to the kerb, encouraging overtaking. Also, he did actually look when riding onto the main road. It’s a bit confusing as the cameras can’t swivel its lens to mimic the human eye.

littlemisspanda
    Free Member

😯

prezet
    Free Member

also, from the video, you could not see where he was on the road, or where the car was also.
    did he swerve to miss a pothole? who knows.

He was signalling to turn right, and moved out into the road to turn.

stevehine

It looks to me like he was adopting primary position as he passed traffic islands – as someone who lost two front teeth due to being squeezed off the road by a bus at a traffic island I’d do exactly the same 🙂

Also; he clearly has a good view of the road as he approached the corner and there was nothing coming – it’s a good 10 seconds from him taking the corner to being overtaken by the first car.

As it says in the article – how was he supposed to have any idea that the red car was part of the funeral procession ? And even given that it was; it in no way excuses the drivers behaviour…

ahwiles
    Free Member

the car was behind and didn’t overtake properly, they are at fault, not him.

his road position is irrelevant.

what the actual **** needs to happen before the ****ing POLICE protect cyclists?

i commute by bike as i can’t afford a car, i wish i could.

the BCF / CTC should be all over this like a ****ing pack of rats – where are they?

GrahamS

Times like this I wish that the police were more open about the decision making processes that they go through.

The police sergeant explained it pretty well I thought:

Also to be considered is that the vehicle that collided with you was the second vehicle following a hearse and limousine as part of a funeral cortege. Whilst you had the right of way in accordance with the Highway Code and Road Traffic Act a road user should be aware of traffic conditions around him/her. This would include any emergency vehicles at junctions that have an exemption in law regarding speed limits and traffic signs that whilst they still have to be prepared to stop at red lights for example, the drivers depend on the courtesy of other road users to allow precedence.

In the same manner, I would personally expect that if I were to see a hearse being driven with a coffin in the rear that there would be other vehicles following and I would allow the cortege to proceed by giving way even though I actually had the right of way. This is also something that the court would consider as mitigation were we to prosecute the driver in your case.

— Source: http://www.theguardian.com/environment/bike-blog/2013/aug/08/nottingham-police-cyclist-video

ton

no saying it was his fault, just that everything is not clear cut in such situations.

and by the way, i have been commuting by bike to work for 31 years.

endurogangster
    Free Member

Partly at fault for not giving that mouthy slag a slap!

stevehine

and in fairness to the police – the driver got sent on an awareness course and the passenger got a caution – it’s not like he got told ‘it’s your fault so we aren’t going to do anything’

ska-49
    Free Member

Odd conclusion by the Cops, yet again.
    Wonder what would happen if I took Boris (or some other MP) out with my car. Apparently nothing?

also rode straight out at junction onto main road.

Perfectly legal. No STOP sign there and the road was clear.

sobriety
    Free Member

So basically it’s partly his fault for not getting out of the way of the funeral procession.

That is **** mental.

br
    Free Member

The cyclist was 100% in the right, but it didn’t stop him been knocked off.

The Police Sargent was quite correct in his assumptions, although I’d disagree with his statement that the cyclist should have waited.

In the end, “there is no point in been dead, right?”

MSP

It’s up to the car to pass safely not for the cyclist to pull over, going to a funeral is not a valid excuse for trying to drum up more business for the cemetery. If the funeral procession wanted to stay together none of them should have gone past on that stretch of road.

and in fairness to the police – the driver got sent on an awareness course and the passenger got a caution

Frankly they should be in prison, they hit someone with over a ton of metal and then blamed the victim. In this case the police (and CPS?) are absolute **** for backing them up.

wrecker
    Free Member

Scorf go and suck your grandmother’s penis.

Remarkably polite folk on the Guardian website! 😀

prezet
    Free Member

2 problems with that statement:

you had the right of way in accordance with the Highway Code and Road Traffic Act

and

I would personally expect

So the law doesn’t come into it, and it’s based around what he would personally expect to happen… so the Police just make up the law to suit whatever they like?

chambord
    Free Member

Actually I was watching thinking if I was passed by a hearse I’d immediately pull over.

Not saying it wasn’t the drivers fault, just that there will obviously be people following in cars who are upset and its just an act of common courtesy to let them pass.

warton
    Free Member

he says in the video, he was indicating to turn right, and obviously moved across, I presume to turn at the junction after the island.

He is not at fault one bit, he’s indicated, he looked behind and moved across. The car behind has to give way to him, end of.

also, how would he know a red hatchback is part of a funeral?

glupton1976
    Free Member

To be honest, I agree with the police sergeant. If it was me, I would have had a look back and pulled into let all of the funeral cars pass.

However, being an inconsiderate cock isn’t a crime, where as knocking someone off their bike deliberately is. I would therefore prosecute the driver with dangerous driving.

DezB
    Free Member

Yeah, he explained it BUT HE WAS WRONG.

Anyway, the writer of the blog sums it all up pretty well for me.

trail_rat
    Free Member

funeral cars to be fitted with blue lights and sirens then i expect ?

i always let funeral processions through junctions etc in the car but it is the overtaking vehicles responsibility to ensure its done safely in all situations.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 245 total)

The topic ‘Cyclist knocked off his bike and abused’ is closed to new replies.