Viewing 3 posts - 41 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Cyclist hit by car. Legal advice please
  • project
    Free Member

If the footway was a dedicated shared use cyclepath and footway then every junction would be marked with give way lines for cyclists to give way to motorists turning into the road and accross the path,

Be aware that the motorist may now well claim for damages from the lady cyclist.

Leaving aside Hora’s fantasy world for a moment…
    Mary originally phoned me at home to ask for a lift to work as she could see the wheel was buckled.
    When I got there, they were both a bit surprised when I said they ought to exchange details as it’s a legal requirement when a motor vehicle is involved in an injury collision.
    Up to that point, they were both prepared to accept 50/50 blame and not take it any further.
    Mary won’t be making a claim and, considering the amount of kit I break, one more scrap rim isn’t that big a deal.
    I was more concerned about whether the car driver could claim off Mary.
    I didn’t have a proper look (Yes, I know 🙄 ) but I don’t think there was any damage to the car.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

I can see why you ask the question and haven’t bothered to look and see if the question has been answered correctly already as this is how things work on STW. The jist of the law is this: If a pedestrian is already crossing a road or any description when you get there in your car you must give way to them. So, if someone is crossing the minor road, you need to give way to them, but if they are still on the pavement you dont. Either way, you are not allowed to cause a collision, so if they look like they are about to cross, whether you have right of way or not, you must stop.

Viewing 3 posts - 41 through 43 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Cyclist hit by car. Legal advice please’ is closed to new replies.