Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Cycling ROW following the forest sell off farce – good opportunity??
  • Bushwacked
    Free Member

Good news that it looks like a u-turn. Shows the government does listen to a large number of people, and it is probably concerned it has lost the hearts and minds of middle england.

I can’t help wondering that since the BBC has prominently featured mountain bikers or related parties in a number of news items whether now is a good time for someone within the local cycling community to raise the issue of cycling rights of way.

I imagine the government could do with winning back the hearts and minds of those it has lost some trust with over the recent weeks and this could be a great way of doing it

🙂

…but as a cyclist I’m bound to say this. 😉

Maybe we should all right to our local MPs to get the ball rolling.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Must be just me then 😉

druidh
    Free Member

You’re expecting folk on here to actively DO something as opposed to just whinge online about how bad everything is.

It’s never gonna happen.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Yeah – suppose you’re right. I’d have more response from phoning Mr Cameron himself that expecting STW to react.

gothandy

What would we be looking for? Access rights more like Scotland or just the right to use footpaths (where appropriate)?

Dave
    Free Member

Just in the process of finishing an article about this following a chat with Colin Palmer from CTC.

Now isn’t the right time for national campaigning because there isn’t any legislation lined up that could deliver better access.

Our best bet is to get organised locally.

Form a local group

Go to your local access forum

Ask suitable questions, table our Access All Areas articles as discussion points

More in the mag soon :o)

Bushwacked
    Free Member

I’d say go for ideal – perhaps get access to ride anywhere and have designated category specifically for bikers and worse case just be happy with being able to ride on footpaths legally as well as bridleways.

I’m no expert on this but can see an opportunity coming out of the forest sell off to promote this.

Dave – I’m not sure. I think the government would be looking to show they have learnt from the outcry and make changes as a gesture to apease those (hopefully a majority of cyclists) that have be so upset by the sell off.

gringojimi
    Free Member

Doesn’t anyone read the magazine?
    Access All Areas

Agree with Bushwacked. Seems to me that the recent press coverage has made the public and politicians a lot more aware of mountain biking and our general access issues.

MrSynthpop
    Free Member

I’m waiting until the dust settles this weekend with the consultation falling over then I’m going to write a short note to my MP thanking the coalition for listening to the public – positive reinforcement and all that.

On the access issue its a thought that if the government is sticking with the forests now then they could look at improving returns on the estate through encouraging cycling use – open up some more woods to permissive use and make a bit of cash off the carparks for example

druidh
    Free Member

Bushwhacked. Dave makes a very good point. The thing that lots of folk seem to have forgotten is that the access law in Scotland looks a lot different than it was going to pre Foot & Mouth. The original proposals (before the outbreak) would have put in place more restrictions than had historically been the case, including an end to wild-camping and to riding and walking in the countryside after dark.

It was the poor behaviour of the landowners and the very responsible behaviour of the public which caused the U-turn. Basically, the public was able to show that they could be trusted to obey any restrictions and to BE RESPONSIBLE.

The dilemma is that this option goes against the spirit of the Kinder Scout Trespass and that in the absence of any forthcoming legislation, it might be the latter course of action which has more immediate effect.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Druidh – I can see what you are saying but if this matter is left to settle then the iron will no longer be hot.

A simple letter / email to our local MPs will keep it local but if enough of the MPs receieve such letters now then it will be raised as an issue on the agenda.

I am sure that this issue has been about for years and a great deal of people are working hard on it. However I do feel that it is the perfect opportunity to gain some serious momentum by slingshoting off the recent coverage and making it a quick win for the government. As has been mentioned there is no legislation lined up and unless something is done none will be (is this also a sign of how the government view this matter??).

I don’t think I have ever seen so much MTBing on TV, let alone for it to be featured during prime slots on the news where MTB’ers opinions count – its in the face of the nation – I’d say take advantage or lose out.

I’m going to be writing to my local MP.

Dave
    Free Member

making it a quick win for the government.

If we ignore the outcry from landowners and the Countryside Alliance.

And very probably the Ramblers…

BadlyWiredDog

I am going to write to my local MP and see if he fancies coming out night riding some time. I figure if enough of us do that, then MPs will be out on the trails regularly and that can only be a good thing. If enough of them become keen mountain bikers, it’s only a matter of time before Britain becomes the first state run predominately in the interests of mountain bikers and cyclists generally.

TheBrick
    Free Member
    nbt

Dave – Moderator

Just in the process of finishing an article about this following a chat with Colin Palmer from CTC.

Colin rocks. I think he;s possibly one of the most influential people in terms of nationwide bike access we’ve seen in the past twenty years, and a nice chap to boot

BadlyWiredDog – Member

I am going to write to my local MP and see if he fancies coming out night riding some time.

Dunno about my MP, but I am going to go night riding with the CEO of my company at some point, the more high powered business leaders we can get on board the better

Bushwacked
    Free Member

All I’m saying is now is a great time to promote access for cyclists. Yeah there are some good guys out there and some good progress has / is being made. But the government has just shown that they listen to issues and have said that access concerns have been one of the reasons behind the decision to make a u-turn. Iron hot in my book.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Right, off to write my letter 🙂

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Cycling ROW following the forest sell off farce – good opportunity??’ is closed to new replies.