Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Cycling Radlett, Herts to London, Liverpool St
  • flanagaj
    Free Member

Thinking of commuting from Radlett to Liverpool St, but I wanted to ask whether anyone has done this and if so what can I expect in terms of road conditions and possible options. I stay in Radlett during the week and as a result have always caught the train so I have no idea about the local roads into London.

hatter

I ride St Albans-Stanmore so go through Radlett (large chap with beard on White Cannondale) I fall in beside quite a few people heading into Central London.

Seems that bashing all along the A5183/A5 and then into Edgeware is a popular route, if not particularly quiet or scenic.

Know guy who rides from St Albans to Shoreditch, I’ll ask what route he uses

flanagaj
    Free Member

Thanks. Does the A5183 / A5 have any provision for cyclists. Just trying to understand what the road is like to ride?

Know guy who rides from St Albans to Shoreditch, I’ll ask what route he use

That would be most useful

hatter

Provision for cyclists, haha that’s a good one, the average Radlett resident feels that you should feel blessed that you’re allowed to so much as smell the exhaust of their gleeming white Porsche Cayenne as is whistles past inches from your elbow.

Proper cycle infrastructure that genuinely improves your survival chances? That may delay getting little Samantha to public school by ten seconds, we can’t have that!

*ahem* more seriously, no, just get a hi-viz gilet and festoon yourself with a few serious day-visible rear lights. (L&M Viz 180, Hope district etc) and MTFU. It’s not the nicest commute but still better than being sat in traffic on Elstree hill.

I’ll see if I can get a Garmin connect file out of my mate for the rest of the way into London.

theflatboy
    Free Member

I sometimes go out from N London to Harpenden and back. I would say Radlett to Elstree, then across A41, over the decent hill where that hospital is, down the other side to A5 and then along to Hendon. From there roughly Muswell Hill, Finsbury Park, Highbury Corner, Cannonbury to Old Street then you’re almost there. Something like that is reasonable – none of it will be quiet but all easily doable.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

whichever way you go , it will be better than sitting in a car, i lived in borehamwood as a youth, my dad worked in stanmore hospital, cycled every day —even then he was quicker than cars–today i can only imagine traffic is much heavier….good luck ….

ads-b
    Free Member

Been riding from St Albans to Farringdon for a few years now. Quite a few people do actually.

I vary my routes, but the obvious one is straight down the A5 and cut around Regents Park. Road condition is generally awful. But traffic wise its not too bad as a large part of it is on bus lanes.

The only ‘nice’ part would be from Radlet to Stanmore/Brokley Hill.

hatter

The only ‘nice’ part would be from Radlet to Stanmore/Brokley Hill.

If the uphill M1 junction roundabout with traffic coming from your right at 60 MPH counts as ‘nice’ in your book then fair play sir, you are a harder nut than I.

Had some proper close calls there.

senorj

I would head east from Radlett towards the A1/M25 at south Mimms, pick up cycle route 12 or the A1081 to get you on the A1000 – then all the way in to High Barnet, Totteridge . Finchley & the rest of flatboys route.
    As an alternative , there’s also a decent cyclelane all the way up the A1 from Mill Hill to South Mimms services.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Cycling Radlett, Herts to London, Liverpool St’ is closed to new replies.