Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Cycling prescription glasses/eye protection
  • wooksterbo

Hi guys

Apart from prescription Oakleys what else is out there that is suitable for general mountain bike trails (and road too). I guess a larger frame to try and keep anything flicking underneath the frame. Ideally options on lenses (transition / polarised etc)

thanks.

ginsterdrz
    Free Member

Always Another Adventure on YouTube did a real world review I think.

orena45

Take a look at Rad8 MTB Glasses

IHN

Usual answer – sunglasses frames of your choice, cheap as chips Mountain Warehouse ones in my case, reglazed with your prescription my Reglaze Glasses Direct (or whatever they’re called now).

I have transitions, work well, can be a bit annoying on overcast days though as they’ll still darken as there’s a lot of UV even though it’s still not ‘that’ bright.

aP
    Free Member

The level of your prescription determines what’s most suitable.
    High base frames with high prescriptions are difficult.
    With lower prescriptions there’s much more flexibility.

bri-72

I found an online place SmartBuyGlasses, maybe 2 years ago now. They sold ‘sinner’ frames with prescription lenses. About £100 all in.

The good bit Go Outdoors sell same sunnies so can do a cheeky try on there.

Good face coverage and done the job for me.

I’ve got Oakleys too as if spending extra for transitions lenses decided best going for a ‘proper’ optician.

IHN

as if spending extra for transitions lenses decided best going for a ‘proper’ optician.

Transitions lenses are just made from a different type of glass, there’s no need for a proper optician for them for a standard prescriptipon

Stuff like a varifocal prescription etc is different, as that needs to be done for ‘your’ eyes, but that’s the case for any kind of lens (varifocal, polarised, plain etc)

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I’ve got Asda wrap around varifocals which are really good, & also a pair of Rudy Project transitions with prescription inserts. Asda have just re done them & they’re spot on too.

tonyd

I asked a similar question last week!

What riding glasses

What I’ve learned over the last few weeks since thinking about this:

– They are expensive!
    – I’d like something that will do for cycling (road and MTB), running, and a bit of day to day (less important), multi-use equals better return on spend in my head.
    – Initially I thought the ones with prescription inserts would be best, that way I could change lenses (eg have photochromatic and “normal” lenses for really bright days) more cheaply. Sounds like they might be prone to fogging though so I’m going to go direct glazed.
    – Initially was looking at Oakley Jawbreaker (direct glazed) and Rudy Project Cutline/Defender (inserts). Rudy Project now ruled out as inserts, and Jawbreakers don’t come in photochromic (for prescription at least). I’ve also decided against the large glasses to allow a more reasonable day to day use.
    – I’ve no idea at this point if I’d rather go varifocal or single vision. Varifocal slightly more expensive, but I’ve just got my first pair of varifocals and am still getting used to them (for example I find it weird walking in the woods and having to move my head a lot to look for ruts and roots, rather than just glance down). My prescription isn’t that strong so not sure I need the close vision part.
    – I’ve shortlisted Tifosi Amok, Oakley Flak, and Rudy Project Propulse at the moment
    – Watch out for dimensions and particularly arm lengths. I’ll probably rule out the Tifosi Amok as the arms seem quite long and will probably catch on helmet straps.
    – RX Sport do this thing where you can pay something like £5 and they’ll send you some frames to try on for size.

I’ll probably end up going all in and get some Oakleys but I need to ponder for a bit longer. Meantime, to help me decide, I had a voucher from work so I got some regular single vision glasses using that. I did a road ride this week and they were fine, ran in them last night, also fine other than not being able to see my watch as they are single vision for distance (this might swing me towards varifocals long term). MTB will be the deciding factor I think.

Part of me is wondering if I might be better just getting 2-3 pairs of cheap glasses and changing them as required – I’m too old to care much about how things look, as long as they function. I do hate faff though.

Appreciate this might not have helped you decide, but hopefully some additional food for thought!

tonyd

Rudy Project transitions with prescription inserts

@essel – do you have any issues with the inserts fogging up?

djflexure

I’ve had several pairs from Smart Buy Sunglasses. The site can sort by frames that take a presecription lens so you can work out what you might like.

I’ve got Oakley Holbrook (colour matched to non prescription) and Gascan (transitions). Also have a pair of Ryder Cakewalk that were very cheap and have great coverage. Ryder do many other frames for mtb so have a look.

There is generally a vouchercode for extra discount on frames/ lenses/ both

You can be all in for under £100 which is the best value I have found

IHN

I do hate faff though.

Being brutally honest, I think you’re faffing with the decision. You sound in a similar position to me usage wise (road, MTB and ‘general use’, I don’t run though to be fair) and prescription (varifocal for ‘normal’ glasses, but fairly small prescription overall).

Go somewhere with a good range of sunnies, and pick a pair that you like, that fit, and that will stay in place through a bit of head jiggling. Buy them, then get them reglazed with your prescription (mine have just got my ‘normal’ prescription in, I can get by without the close-sight stuff from the varifocal).

Stuff like arm length and helmet straps is just worrying over nothing; the glasses arms go on over the straps (so put your lid on, then put your glasses on). I’ve had various combinations of lids and glasses and it’s never been an issue.

vmgscot

I took a punt on some £35 prescription types from SelectSpecs (8076 model I think) and they have worked well for me.

tonyd

Being brutally honest, I think you’re faffing with the decision

You’re right I am, and I have form in that area – takes me a long time to analyse every aspect. Buy cheap buy twice and all that. If it takes me weeks to decide on a pair of glasses, imagine how long it takes me to decide on a new bike or car 🙂

That said, when I buy something it generally lasts me for many years.

Superficial
    Free Member

I’m gonna follow this thread. I like my prescription Racing Jackets which I got done by Reglaze-glasses-direct, but I’d prefer a newer style of glasses with more coverage (A few times recently I’ve had mud in my eye). It seems that the bigger lenses aren’t compatible with reglaze, unfortunately. I definitely don’t want inserts.

That said, the service from Reglaze was great, as was the quality of the lens – they are definitely recommended if they can do the frame you’re after.

footflaps

I have a few sets of wrap around shades from Optilabs, dark sunglasses and transitions or whatever its now called. Very impressed, been using them for 15 years or so now..

https://www.optilabs.com/product-category/sport/cycling-sunglasses/

wooksterbo

Some brilliant info guys, will have good look at all suggestions, first things first get my actual prescription details. I only need them for driving, watching TV from a distance and I have got by not needing them for on the bike. But I noticed more recently that in order to properly look ahead on the trails that my vision is inadequate. I don’t need a strong prescription luckily so it looks like a fair few choices are available.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Cycling prescription glasses/eye protection’ is closed to new replies.