Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Cycling insurance for events and the family
  • allfankledup

Looking for some recommendations on cycling insurance.

I want to find some insurance that will cover myself for my club rides, potentially sportives etc and to cover the wife and kids if and when they crash into someone’s freshly polished car when out on a bimble on their bikes…

I don’t need a race license, and the house insurance covers theft in theory…

Most of the folk that I have spoken to have said “oh, insurance, I should probably have some of that”. Seeing the price of the bikes around me on club rides, I would prefer to be insured when I take out several grand of carbon road bike….

njee20
    Free Member

House insurance will cover you outside of competition.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

British Cycling membership includes 3rd party insurance. Family “Ride” membership is £80 or £33 for an individual adult.

Won’t cover damage to you or your own stuff, but should cover you if you prang someone else’s nicely polished car etc.

aracer
    Free Member

This. You’ll find you’re already insured for what you’re wanting.

allfankledup

If house insurance is the answer, then how come BC /cycle plan etc offer 3rd party liability insurance ?

If they hit a car, ok, few hundred quid and it gets repaired. If they take someone out and they are injured then does house insurance cover that ? You could be liable for a hell of a lot of cash there….

Ta for the answers so far folks

aracer
    Free Member

I can only assume because most people are unaware that their household insurance already provides this cover – that applies even to ~90% of people on here based on the disbelieving reactions whenever this comes up.

If they hit a car, ok, few hundred quid and it gets repaired. If they take someone out and they are injured then does house insurance cover that ?

Yep – public liability is normally at least £1m possibly £2m

njee20
    Free Member

BC insurers will chase down other people on your behalf to make a claim, which your house insurance won’t. That really is just 3rd party liability IIRC (having done no research).

IME Leigh, Day & Co (who BC were using) are very good.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

BC membership also gets you discount at Chain reaction and Halfords, so quite easy to get your money back in savings.

MoreCashThanDash

CTC family membership. Various discounts come with the deal as well.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Cycling insurance for events and the family’ is closed to new replies.