Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Cycling induced Tendinitis in the ankle. Realistic recovery expectations?
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

A month ago I suffered some pretty serious Tendinitis in my ankle trying to complete a bicycle tour. I ended up riding for three days with it getting progressively worse. The pictures were taken at the end of the tour.

A month on and there is still some tension in my ankle. walking is fine. I tried a local loop on Sunday and found it getting sore again, no swelling or bruising, just an increase in tension.

I’m hoping to ride a weekend hilly road loop with some friends in a couple of weeks. Is that a realistic expectation or will I risk doing further damage.

I’ve never experienced anything like it before.

Handsomedog
    Free Member

I did almost exactly this nearly 10 years ago, ended up riding 60 miles on it on a loaded touring bike. See a physio about it and get the right exercises for sorting it out. I didn’t until way down the line and the ankle still gives me bother on occasion. Once I did see a physio the exercises he gave me had it largely sorted in a month.

footflaps

All depends on the individual. For tendonopathy you need to exercise some to help it heal, but not too much to aggravate it. I’d see a physio / sports therapist and get some rehab exercises from them.

goldfish24

My tendonitis was caused by bad (or poorly fitted) footwear. Was about to comment on this anyway, then i saw those sandals! Try something else that’s less likely to put pressure over the tendon.

oafishb
    Free Member

Are those SPD sandals?
    😯

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Sandals are a red herring. I only wore them to drive home in.

The sidi shoes I rode the tour in have seen thousands of pain free miles.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Cycling induced Tendinitis in the ankle. Realistic recovery expectations?’ is closed to new replies.