Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Cycling in schools
  • mattsccm
    Free Member

Any one have any experience of cycling within schools? Not road safety stuff but low level MTB on the playing field. We have an acre of rough grass land as well as much the same of playing field and currently 7 kids that are in school and looking for something different to do.
    BC website isn’t offering much and communication with them isn’t working well at the moment but I will persevere with them as well.
    Just wondering if anyone has done anything like this before. We can’t go to the climbing wall like we did last year and fancy something that we can do on site.
    Cheers

ac282

These guys do cycle training in schools.

https://cyclinggeneration.com/

cloudnine
    Free Member

Hire a mini digger for a few days and get a pump track built..

simon_g

This guy has done coaching for our club, he runs after school clubs for MTBing too – some info on his website with details of how it works https://www.livebiking.co.uk/

illupo
    Free Member

In my experience its very hit and miss in Schools. Luckily both my kids had an active PE teacher who encouraged the School to enter a team into the county games. I suspect BC will immediately raise the safeguarding issue – so sessions being delivered by a coach with suitable qualifications and undergone a safeguarding course. There are companies that come into school to do training – near me for instance Cycle Derby do this. HTH

jamiea
    Free Member

Are you school staff and wanting to run it yourself? BC would probably point you in the direction of Go-Ride clubs run by BC affiliated cycling clubs.

mrwhyte
    Free Member

I used to lead mtb trips for the school as part of their GCSE sport, but they required from memory for leaders to be qualified with BC for insurance purposes and assessment.

One of the PE teachers led the lessons (I taught Humanities) and they did basic handling skills around the playground and on the field down slopes.

matt_outandabout

As above, what’s your role in this – teacher, volunteer, business?

What’s the purpose of the riding – PE, other areas of curriculum, personal development…?

Also, where are you and if needed PM me school name/organisation as I can probably point you at someone who could support OL or sport such as this.

(Edit: I’m a manager of national outdoor learning and play in school grounds charity)

sandboy

Mrs Sandboy is the head of a Primary school and has been doing cycling as part of the PE curriculum for both KS1/2 for a few years now. She put a member of staff through British Cycling’s Bikeability training and have built a relationship with the local cycling club. They have a fleet of balance bikes and regular bikes for the children to use and set up courses with cones on the playground. Having six acres of grounds, the next plan is for some kind of off road course or pump track but is not sure how to start??
    Every child in her school is able to ride a bike in KS1 as she very much believes it a vital life skill.

molgrips
    Free Member

We weren’t even allowed to run, we had to walk everywhere in school. I don’t think cycling would go down well. Aside from the rules all those double doors would be a pain.

slowoldman

Aside from the rules all those double doors would be a pain.

It’s only a matter of time before Stockport MBC install them on cycle paths.

matt_outandabout

Having six acres of grounds, the next plan is for some kind of off road course or pump track but is not sure how to start??

We’ve a few nurseries and schools with cycletrails / pump tracks / full MTB trails up here.

Any funds in place? If not, I can send some ideas of where to get the funds from.

I can also help with connection to who to get site permission off, risk management and embedding in curriculum.

Email me mrobinson AT ltl.org.uk

flannol
    Free Member

Ed Clancy / Graham Briggs, ex pro and olympic cyclists run an amazing academy sceheme. I helped put their promo videos together

https://www.clancybriggs.co.uk/home

Blown away with what they’re doing, it’s incredible. Could be worth a phone call?

MoreCashThanDash

If your local cycle club has an academy, they may be able to offer a coach to do some sessions? It’s something our club has done a couple of times, but it’s getting volunteer coaches who can fit it in within school time or after school.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Cheers.
    More info. I am staff, teacher acting as TA (less hassle). Very ancient ROSPA cycle training qualification. Plus OE degree. Local cycling club not a lot of use. I should know as I am chairman! Our junior/go ride element died as it became a baby sitting venue and we lost adults to work it.
    Just looking for a PE lesson as we can’t go to the climbing wall as planned .
    All the kids have a MTB (of sorts) . Can’t quite build a pump track buts that’s the sort of thing.
    Keep the ideas coming.

keyses2

I do cycling in the school I work at, I’ve sent you a message

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Cycling in schools’ is closed to new replies.